cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a Restaurant not a Restaurant?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When is a Restaurant not a Restaurant?

I have been amazed since Macdonalds decided to open over here, and call their fast food outlets.  "restaurant"....and manage to get away with it...... despite the trades description act......
In my personal opinion.....
Restaurant..... a place where people go to eat expensive food, served by a waiter,  at a table, that has a white cotton tablecloth, and several sets of cutlery, glasses for drinks, and flowers on the table.... together with an "ambience" of a little luxury
Tea Room.....  a similar establishment, with "quality" table styling, and waiter, or witress service, the principle food being consumed at or near to Tea time.
Cafe......  a split personality place....... some cafe`s aspire to be Restaurants, but never quite make it, while others seem to aspire the other way, and do it well !
Take Away food establishment..... again a split personality, as this is where Macdonalds come, in my opinion,  they make food, you take it away and eat it, then you clear up afterwards, and they take away the rubbish.
the other side is the strictly take away food establishments that provide food for consumption off the premises, usually in a carpark or at home !.
Any other ideas on the subject of what Macdonalds should classify themselves as.... (include burger king, and other similar establishments if they claim the same status)! ! !
18 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: When is a Restaurant not a Restaurant?

On the whole I'd agree with your definitions, shutter.
Burger King, MacDonalds etc I think of as 'fast food' establishments, whether take-away, eat-in, or both.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

My dictionary merely defines a restaurant as a "place where meals or refreshment may be had".  Roll eyes
Fixes: 104

I've got the definition as
A restaurant is a retail establishment that serves prepared food to customers.

Now I guess it depends on your definition of food  Wink Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And whether they have HP Sauce on the table too ! !    Cheesy
Community Veteran

I guess it has to do with service that is provided.  It's certainly not the type of food they serve.  I know plenty of places, mainly in the US, that serve burgers. They are some of the best burgers you've ever eaten and served in very luxurious surroundings. makes my mouth water to think about it Wink Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A restaurant prepares and serves food and drink to customers. Meals are generally served and eaten on premises, but many restaurants also offer take-out and food delivery services. Restaurants vary greatly in appearance and offerings, including a wide variety of cuisines and service models. Restaurants may include waitstaff, others provide counter service, and some are buffet style.
A restaurant owner is called a restaurateur; both words derive from the French verb restaurer, meaning "to restore". Professional artisans of cooking are called chefs, while prep staff and line cooks prepare food items in a more systematic and less artistic fashion.
pd
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
And whether they have HP Sauce on the table too ! !    Cheesy

Did you know that HP sauce is not British anymore?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/6455565.stm
pd
Grafter

Can you explain this one?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I do eat out at other than fast food and apart from Chineese/Indian have not had a table cloth on the table for a number of years
techguy
Grafter

They have parking for drive thru is for when they are quite busy and there is a backlog of orders and they are wating for food to be cooked I believe.
I avoid McD's unless I'm absolutely desparate for something to eat.
As for the definition of restaurant I think it could be applied to anywhere that allows you to sit down to eat? but yes I would agree with your definition shutter, a place where you pay expensive prices to eat good food.
pd
Grafter

Seems a bit of a contradiction in terms    Smiley
techguy
Grafter

McD's do stretch the definition (expensive yes but good? depends on how hungry you are)
Community Veteran

The fact that they need somewhere for drive through customers to park just proves once again the fact that we brits can take an idea from America, remove anything remotely good about it, and then use it.  This is a perfect example - a fast food drive through, where you need to park up because it's so slow, and where any semblance of what makes food enjoyable has been removed (taste, texture, nutrition, presentation,  ...) Undecided
John
Community Veteran

There is a campaign against using McD in the US at present.  American farmers are angry that their beef is no longer used by mcD who now source their beef from Argentina  Sad