Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a 3yr warranty a 1yr warranty?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

When is a 3yr warranty a 1yr warranty?

When you buy from ebuyer apparently.
Just under 3yrs ago I bought a 1Tb HDD from them it was OEM but had 3 year warranty on it.
Yesterday it failed (dead as a dodo spinning but no life from the connection)
I contacted them and they said you need to phone the rma line so I did, then spent 10 minutes arguing with the guy about 3yrs warranty vs 1yr. He said as it was oem it was only covered by a 1yr warranty (and I should have been a system builder to purchase it) I said it clearly stated on the website 3 yrs warranty and we went round in circles. I threatened to contact TS about it as I felt I was in the right here.
He eventually agreed to accept the return but only to issue me a partial refund not a replacement. So do I have any rights on this?
27 REPLIES
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: When is a 3yr warranty a 1yr warranty?

What brand of hard drive is it?  Do you have the model number?
Community Veteran

It's a Hitachi, yes I have the s/n. The Hitachi website says contact your seller. The ebuyer one said contact Hitachi until I complained.
Fixes: 125

If you can prove eBuyer's orginal 3 year warrantee then it is up to eBuyer to honour and your claim will be with them.
Often it's easier to deal direct with the manufacturer but no retailer can insist you do so.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

lexusuk
Grafter

Have you tried the Hitachi Online Warranty process?  http://onlinewarranty.hitachiconsumer.com/default.aspx
If the drive is under a 3 year warranty (OEM or not) then the manufacturer should honour it even if the seller won't.  They can usually tell you if the drive is under warranty from the serial number.  I've done this with other HDD manufacturers and had replacement drives through the post within 7-14 days.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The problem with that is that OEM drives normally only have a 12 month warranty regardless of what Ebuyer had on their website
Community Veteran

I tried the Hitachi online check and as I said it said contact supplier. Looks like my only option is to accept the limited refund they are offering. PITA as the drives have doubled in cost recently.
So they claim 3 yrs but mean 1 yr  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Thought items had to be fit for purpose ? Not sure what a reasonable period of time a hard drive is expected to last but taking average use a hard drive should last for at least 3 years.
I Think it is a myth that if something fails after 12 months it's out of warranty and you have no claim, equally the person who sold it is responsible for dealing with the problem and not the manufacturer.
Speak to trading standards and they will be able to give you more details
lexusuk
Grafter

@Hairy Biker
That's a shame.  Might be worth calling Hitachi customer service to see if they can do anything for you.  Nothing to lose at this point.  Wink
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, after this length of time HB would have to prove the unit has an inherent fault which isn't easy to do unless other users have reported the same problem. Also if the seller accepts liability they can deduct an amount for use already got from the unit and offer a partial credit/refund.
If I remember rightly, Hulls works for Essex CC Trading Standards and will be able to give us chapter and verse on this.
I would agree with your suggestion that HB contacts Hitachi.  They may not be legally responsible but may deal with the problem in the interest of good customer relations.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

from what I have learnt over a period of time, there is a "time limit" on how the retailer deals with stuff that "breaks"....

Six months...and counting
If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or 'as described' when it sold them e.g. by showing that the problem was caused by an external factor such as accidental damage. Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was there when you received the goods even if it has taken until now to come to light.
So you may need to prove that the fault was not down to ordinary wear and tear or damage you caused, and that the product (or a component) should have lasted longer than it did. To do this you may need an expert's report, for example from an engineer or mechanic.

The above is taken from.......

at the bottom of the page....
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Here's another hitachi link http://www.hgst.com/portal/site/en/support/warranty/
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You mean that a special report is needed if you expect a disk to last more than a year?
Even an ipod lasts for two!
Recently I noticed that my 1TB hard disk had acquired a bad sector:-

David_W
Rising Star

Technically the 1 year warranty is a load of bunkum, under the consumer protection laws you have a warranty of "up to 6 years" depending on the item and the expected life of the item, for instance, you buy a fridge freezer you sort of expect it to last 10-15 years or so, so if it breaks down after 3 years you can get it repaired under consumer protection laws.
Your contract however is with Ebuyer, they sold you the unit so they are responsible for warranty issues and such, it's their job to get a replacement from the manufacturer, not yours, so I'd get back in touch with Ebuyer, point out that the contract (sales contract) is between you and Ebuyer so you expect them to honour their original warranty of 3 years.