cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is 3> 4?

Fixes: 121

When is 3> 4?

On Wednesday's lottery draw Cheesy
National Lottery winners have been left dumbfounded after discovering their prize for picking four correct numbers was less than if they had matched three.
More than 16,000 people chose four winning numbers on Wednesday night’s Lotto, receiving £15 each.
But it was £10 less than the guaranteed prize of £25 for getting three numbers – all because of a quirk in the way the winnings are awarded.
The low prizes resulted from the fact that all of the main six numbers in Wednesday’s draw were below 31, making them particularly popular with players who tend to choose numbers relating to birthdays and anniversaries.

Some people are complaining of being ripped off - not sure I'd agree with that but it does seem rather daft.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: When is 3> 4?

It's just the way the numbers fall. In all the years the lottery has been running I think it's the first time it has happened so I wouldn't worry about it. Wink
peter10
Grafter

Seems strange that with 4 numbers you actually have 4 different combinations of 3 numbers. However I know that the prize distribution doesn't  work that way. I gave up the lottery when it went up to £2 and bought £100 of premium bonds instead of my 2 lines a week. To date my winning are precisely zero.   Sad
Fixes: 121

Since the rise to £2 I only buy 1 ticket each Saturday and that has won me £75.
I have also bought £150 of Premium Bond over the last year in batches of £50 and won zilch.
In fact I already had £15 since I was 1 or 2 and they also have won me zilch over the years.
But at least I can get my stake money back Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Razer
Grafter

It seems to say a lot about supposed chance where the supposed chance of winning with premium bonds is vastly higher. Whenever I see anybody posting about this anywhere they always seem to say won such and such on lottery, won nothing on my bonds. So much for 'chance', I guess.