Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When good news... really isn't

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

When good news... really isn't

"Good news, we're keeping you on a fixed tariff.... " - but we are going to increase it as from the end of January 2020.

Instead of paying fifteen pence a day, Spark Energy (for it is they) are now planning to charge me 25p which means my annual bill will got up by something like £175 a year. Not to worry though they tell when I contacted them, you are in credit so I can use that to keep my monthly bill the same!

They must have the likes of Lewis Carroll writing their customer emails, because if that is good news I'd hate to get bad. 

Good news, we're keeping you on a fixed tariff
Account number: ... 

Hello Mr....

We're getting in touch to let you know that your Simple Saver January 2020 tariff is ending on 31st January 2020.

What it means for you

After that date you’ll move onto a new fixed tariff, Simple Saver January 2021. It's a bit more than you're paying right now but it's a fixed tariff, so your rates are locked in until January 2021. Not only that, but it's protected by the Government's energy price cap, so your rates can only go down before that date!

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: When good news... really isn't

Its like that notice I saw in a hotel in America ' for your convenience all the vending and ice machines have been moved to the 3rd floor' ... and the UK banks saying 'to serve you better we are closing down all our branches and ATM points'...

At least the 'standing charge' figure in gas and electric bills now is easier to understand than the 'the first 4kw/hr @ 15.7p,  the next 10kw/hr @ 13p etc.... which seemed to favour large users as the more you used the cheaper it got !

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Good news - Corbyn lost the election.

Bad news - Boris won. 

😉

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minivanman   agree.... good news Corbyn got crucified... ( would that make him a religious icon, as in Jesus Christ  ? )

so... you say... bad news  Boris won....

who would you have rather won, ,... bearing in mind that Corbyn ( and his communist allies controlling the labour party)  lost .

only one of the other political parties can be answered.... i.e. not labour...

Highlighted
Fixes: 414

Mr Corbyn seemed to be in a very bad mood this morning when leaving home for work.

Slammed the car door very firmly.

You have to feel sympathy.....don't you?

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

The good news is that the only party who believes in democracy won...simples. 

We already have a thread on election result, why are we discussing it here ?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Because like a hairball, I brought it up? 

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 106

Instead of paying fifteen pence a day, Spark Energy (for it is they) are now planning to charge me 25p which means my annual bill will got up by something like £175 a year. 

Not wishing to be pedantic (I'm going to be anyway!) but surely 10p/day extra ( even if its on each fuel ) only amounts to £73/yr extra, unless of course, they've increased the price per/kwh as well

Although, TBH, I thought prices were coming down a little, certainly my suppliers latest fixed tariff is slightly cheaper than mine taken out in April.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@MisterW 

Not having done the maths you may well be right, but that's sort of what Spark Energy were telling me. I was just giving a ball park figure and the exact ones are: 

14.95p per day
23.78p per day
Gas unit rate
N/A
N/A
Gas standing charge
N/A
N/A
Tariff ends on
31st January 2020
31st January 2021
Price fixed until
31st January 2020
31st January 2021
Exit fees
(if you cancel this tariff before
the end date)
No exit fee applies
No exit fee applies
Discounts and additional
charges
None
None
Additional products or
services included
None
None
Illustrative cost on this tariff
Estimated annual cost*
£626.20
£792.68
Estimated price increase

£166.48

This Mrs has already started phoning around (I leave these sort of things to her these days) and tells me she might well be able to get the price down quite a bit. 

Really annoying having to chop and change like this but then I guess that's privatisation for you and as said, the 'good news' it was not going to go up during next year, the bad news, it was going up next year!

Marketing to the dumb as so many of us especially the elderly (like us) just pay up and shut up. 

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 106

That table appears to relate just to gas, therefore the daily rate increase only amounts to £32.23

By my calcs that means they've also increased the tariff per kWh by about 23%. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

No gas, (we are on bottled) which is why it is marked N/A.

We only have electricty with them. 🙂 

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I always look at the actual cost per unit (day and night rate) & standing charge. If it's higher than what I pay now it can only mean one thing - paying more money! Even on comparison websites I do the same - I'm not guided by "you will save x £'s per year". Some examples I've looked at have had higher costs per kwh and wonder how on earth I can be saving money if the prices are higher. Do the sums. What supplier works out cheaper say in Lincolnshire is not necessarily the best elsewhere.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

We had a set tariff, but when we included a night time one after getting storage heaters supplied and fitted for free under the NEST warmer homes scheme... they increased the now daytime /set one and hate to harp on about it, but not unlike plusnet increasing my internet only rate when I stopped paying the £18 a month I think it was for my phone line when I had FTTP installed and went over to VoIP.

Goalposts on wheels. 🙁

goal_posts_moved_moses_1152275.jpg

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Really annoying having to chop and change like this but then I guess that's privatisation for you and as said, the 'good news' it was not going to go up during next year, the bad news, it was going up next year!

Marketing to the dumb as so many of us especially the elderly (like us) just pay up and shut up. 

It is so easy to change suppliers now - lets face it when you sign up for a new supplier they do all the work for you... we have been with BG, NPower, Coop energy and now with Octopus - as soon as they put prices up people should look for a new supplier, If everyone did that instead of hanging on to suppliers that are ripping you off it may make them think twice..  British Gas was always bloated and uncompetitive - but the crunch came for us when ( about 10 years ago ) they put our direct debit up from about £70 to £120 a month,  I wrote to them asking why ( as we had always been in credit ) and gave them 3 weeks to answer before I switched suppliers, no answer was forthcoming until we had already switched and the 'sorry you're leaving here is a new offer' etc.... they blamed the massive increase in monthly payments on a 'computer error' LOL - but we changed anyway...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Trying to get it back on topic.....

@Minivanman       failed to answer the question I posed, in reply number 4 

@Minivanman   agree.... good news Corbyn got crucified... ( would that make him a religious icon, as in Jesus Christ  ? )

so... you say... bad news  Boris won....

who would you have rather won, ,... bearing in mind that Corbyn ( and his communist allies controlling the labour party)  lost .

only one of the other political parties can be answered.... i.e. not labour...

UNQUOTE..