cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When enough is enough, why does it always cost money?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

When enough is enough, why does it always cost money?

There comes a time in your life when enough is enough so I finally bit the bullet and bought a TrueCall Call Blocker, I just hope it lives up to its reputation and hype.

It’s from Amazon Prime so is due to arrive today, I have two lines here but I only need it for the one, as the other is really only for BB and thankfully gets little to no calls on it. But I can of course use it to test my new gadget when it arrives. Smiley

Of course my (Plusnet) lines, are as far as I know, registered with the TPS, and are therefore Ex-Directory but that doesn’t stop an automated dialler for calling them. There is nothing worse than picking up the phone when you see a ‘local’ number only to find that ‘We’re calling to let you know…’ it really hacks me off.

It will be interesting to see how this device pans out, I'm expecting 'results' out of it.

34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: When enough is enough, why does it always cost money?

for £98 i'm happy to just let the calls come thru.

and TPS is one of those myths really.
it's only good for those companies that abide by and are registered to abide by TPS.
and the people calling you aren't.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I now have one of the Chinese versions. I had a CPR 104 that I used for several years with great results.
I only switched 'cause I wanted to review & block rather than block active calls, which is what the 104 does.
I spent £14 on it ;-} The CPR version was just too costly for me.
There is a thread on here about them.

But it is nice to only get calls from people you wish to talk to rather than bots, or sales, or spammers.
Community Veteran

Fair comment @chenks76, but I'm guessing you don't get 6 or 7 of these a day! If you do you're way more patient than I am. I find I have better things to do with my time than waste it dealing with Windows Support, Green Boiler Replacement and Solar Panels amongst others.

Community Veteran

TBH @HairyMcbiker, I was going to buy one of the cheaper ones that came up on the search in Amazon, but being a bit of a mug I shelled out the £98 on the 'Market Leader'. With that said, if these calls then 'migrate' to my other line I'll maybe give one of the C'n'C version a go.

Community Veteran

the cheapest option would be to simply disconnect the phone, and tell people that you would want to contact you to just use your mobile.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We do not have a call blocker as we get no more than 5 or 6 unwanted calls in a year.

Why is it that some people seem to get large numbers of them such as @Mook whilst others get virtually none.?

Community Veteran

Ah! There's the rub @chenks76, for one I don't have a mobile and even if I did there's no signal here in or around the house, so my only option for now is the land line.

Community Veteran

That's a good point @gleneagles, well we know how many you get, what about the others, how many nuisance calls do you get?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Mook wrote:

Ah! There's the rub @chenks76, for one I don't have a mobile and even if I did there's no signal here in or around the house, so my only option for now is the land line.

Could always go with one of the mobile providers that has signal booster , that works over your internet, Vodafone , Three and EE do them.

I have Vodafone sure signal box , works a treat 

Mike
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I used to get a LOT of spam/junk/MS support calls, maybe 10-15 a week, but then developed a policy of not answering a number I didn't recognise or was an obvious fake/with-held/unavailable.

It has taken a couple of years or so, but I am now down to maybe 1 or 2 a MONTH.

If people really want to speak to me, they can always leave a voicemail, and I will return the call.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Before I got a call blocker, I was getting up to 7 SPAM calls a DAY, not a year. The old "Your M$ PC has a problem" ones. Then it was the PPP and kitchens/windows ones. After maybe one a month, press a button and no more. I already block all withheld calls, and international ones.

@Mook TBH the Chinese one does most of what the CPR one does at fraction of the cost, you can control it from a handset as well (if you can remember the key presses! since I haven't done that since installing it last year I can't ,, need to find the manual). But I find the lcd display easy to navigate, big buttons to navigate and a big RED one to block. But mostly if I answer a call on the upstairs handset I don't need to go down and press the button immediately to block the call, I can just hang up and when I am downstairs review the call log and block then, that is what I like over my old 104 unit. But the 104 was £30 about 7 years ago so has paid for itself by not paying PN for call blocker at £5 a month or what ever it was/is. Wouldn't be without it now.
I use Truecaller on my mobile to do the same, it blocks spam calls/sms's for free.
Community Veteran

I had toyed with the idea of getting a Femto Cell @ITWorks, but they don't appear to be readily available, and if I could get one for the EE network I doubt it would work with Plusnet as that's who I'd use as a provider.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Personally i would not use Truecaller for the reason given here

On my Android phone and am sure many others, you can just highlight a number from contacts/recent calls and select block , job done.

Mike
Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

and if I could get one for the EE network I doubt it would work with Plusnet as that's who I'd use as a provider.

the ISP you use is irrelevant,
the box just connects to the internet and routes the calls via that.