cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did the school run start?

mikko
Grafter

When did the school run start?

I am 70 and collect a grandson (7) from school. It occurred to me that when I was that age the school just closed at the end of the day and we just walked home. I don't remember ever seeing any parents in the play ground.
I just wondered if anyone knows the year when mandatory collecting of kids began.
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: When did the school run start?

My mum used to collect me from school when I started in 1965 along with lots of other mums. Back then it was extremely rare  to see a dad.
In fact, I don't think my dad ever took/collected me as he was always at work during those times.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm! interesting that. I'm not far off your age mikko. In those days more children lived closer to their schools than many do now.
It was also considered safer in those days for kids to walk to school without fear they're likely to be accosted. At a wild guess it was around the mid seventies to the eighties that parents started to become paranoid about their off-springs safety. "playing out" probably ended around then as a regular pass-time.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

I walked to and from my junior school (about a mile each way) but took the bus (or maybe even tram, can't remember) to my senior schools (about 4 miles).
Most of that time I was with school friends rather than Mum.
PS 2 senior schools as I went to the first for 6 months while the second was being built.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

When I was 8 we moved to a new area but I still travelled to the same school about 3 miles away.
By then I was going to/from school on my own. Never thought twice about it. Normally had to get one bus but occasionally it necessitated two.
I was always told never to talk to strangers but the world seemed safer then.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

when I was an infant (aroud five) i was taken to school on the crossbar of my dads bike  Smiley
It was fitted with a proper seat and foot rests which clamped on
This was through the historic center of York around 1954
Was I a happy bunny  Smiley
I coldn't have been happier  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

During school holidays we would go out after breakfast and not be seen again until tea-time...
The modern cry of "nothing to do" (except cause trouble maybe) there were not enough hours in the day for us!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I come from a small extended community of less than a dozen houses, population in the 1940’s was around 60 adults and children.
The school bus, in winter, used to be a horse-cart and trailer with couple of bails of hay on the back, used to be a dozen of us kids ‘scrapping’ on the back.
Rest of the year we walked (about 3 miles each way), there was always an ‘elder sibling’ given the task of making sure the younger ones were there.
I still live in the same house in the same community it now has a population of 14. Sad Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Taken to primary school on the first day by my mother but from then went by myself about a one mile walk.
Nothing to do with my mother being lazy like a number of other people in those days she had to work.
When I was at secondary school I often heard some kids say you get the key to the door at 21, I Never understood that as the key was under a brick near the back door which I had access too for as long as I can remember.
I Don't remember a single person being dropped off at primary or secondary school from a car pupils either walked or got the bus. There again I do not remember a single pupil or teacher who was overweight in those days.
Things could be tough in those days for children but now things seem to have swung the other way, problem is times are starting to get tough again an older generation who have been through it might be more mentally protected than a younger generation who have not.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was going to and from school from the age of 6. At the time the other kids couldn't believe it and apparently I was a 'good kid' because I was responsible .. or so my parent kept telling me. The truth in reality is that my parent didn't want to know about picking me up or taking me there but was always happy to pile loads of other pressures and responsibilities onto me from that age.
How to ensure you destroy your kids future? Pile on loads of pressure and stress from the earliest age possible. Make sure life is depressing and that they'll get bullied senseless. That should do it  Roll eyes
To think.. not knowing any better I fell for it all.. but then a kid would never stand a chance against someone with a degree in pshychology and raw skills in manipulation.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

I walked to and from school right from Infant School, almost every day. I say almost every day because during my infant years sometimes the dog would come and pick me up at home time! Grin It always seemed peculiar to me when any other kid got taken to and from school. I still think it peculiar, to say the least, now.
Community Veteran

When I first started school I think my mum took me along on the first day, after that I walked with the slightly older daughter of a neighbour who lived a couple of doors away.
The infants (5-7) and junior (7-11) schools were on the same site anyway, but certainly by the age of 7 I was in charge of my sister (just a year below me) until she decided she wasn't having that and found friends to go with!
It was about 600 yards to school and you had to cross 2 side roads and a larger road outside which had a lollipop lady.
Can't remember how we got home, I was often in the adjacent village library so rarely came straight back.
mikko
Grafter

At least in my London borough it's mandatory now to have some to meet a 7 year old. I don't know if it's a requirement by the government (ie a law), council or school. They won't let his older sister (now 13) collect him until she's 14.
It seems pretty draconian to an old dog like me but understandable in view of the modern traffic and busy roads to cross not to mention the dodgy characters around. If we lived close to the school i would't find it so understandable though.
Modern-day mothers find it quite acceptable and normal as they themselves were collected. One young teacher acquaintance said it wouldn't be fair to put responsibility onto the older sister. There's obviously been a big shift in perception over the generations.
mikko
Grafter

At least in my London borough it's mandatory now to have someone to meet 7 year old. I don't know if it's a requirement by the government (ie a law), council or school. They won't let his older sister (now 13) collect him until she's 14.
It seems pretty draconian to an old dog (70) like me but advisable in view of the modern traffic and busy roads to cross not to mention the dodgy characters around. Modern-day mothers find it quite acceptable and normal as they themselves were collected. One young teacher acquaintance said it wouldn't be fair to put responsibility onto the older sister. There's obviously been a big shift in perception over the generations.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Sprite
I was going to and from school from the age of 6. At the time the other kids couldn't believe it and apparently I was a 'good kid' because I was responsible .. or so my parent kept telling me. The truth in reality is that my parent didn't want to know about picking me up or taking me there but was always happy to pile loads of other pressures and responsibilities onto me from that age.
How to ensure you destroy your kids future? Pile on loads of pressure and stress from the earliest age possible. Make sure life is depressing and that they'll get bullied senseless. That should do it  Roll eyes
To think.. not knowing any better I fell for it all.. but then a kid would never stand a chance against someone with a degree in psychology and raw skills in manipulation.
Some interesting points there.
In those days many parents were bothered about what the neighbours thought or said and as a child your opinion counted for little or nothing, a complaint from a neighbour, teacher or most other adults about your behaviour and you would suffer for it.
In some cases it was hard to see why some people wanted children and in my own case often said, "I didn't ask to be here" It seemed the one thing I never got a suitable reply to.
Being told I would not come to much was also helpful advice, helpful in the sense I was determined I would come to more than those who told me this and at this stage of my life I can look back and say I achieved this, so in short the hassle I got (Like many other kids) actually helped me as it toughened me up for later in life.