Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did buses become so hi-tech?

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

When did buses become so hi-tech?

Got on a bus for the first time in 20+ years today and was rather surprised to find free WiFi with pretty decent speeds, an LCD screen showing a live route map and an tannoy system  that announced each bus stop as we approached it, plus sockets next to each seat for charging laptops etc.
I know you get it on trains and presumably buses in London. But in semi-rural Northumberland? Though to be fair it was double decker on a main route to Newcastle and not some 'hopper' that goes round the houses.
Also probably goes some way to explaining to £5.50 return fare for an 8 minute journey...
30 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: When did buses become so hi-tech?

To be quite honest I rather they didn't have all that high-tech on buses.
In fact I wish they had some system to prevent anyone making/receiving calls. I rarely use buses but on those few occasions I really dislike having to listen to someone's inane chat as they shout down the phone because of the noises around them - usually other people also shouting at their phones.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Not been on a bus for years, mostly because I will not pay £1.50 (each way) for a 1 mile journey. I was faster to WALK to town than take the bus, as it went all round the estates before going down town, now with the "improvements" made for the railway it is about the same.
TORPC
Grafter

Albeit a quick call to say, will be there in 5 mins, or the journey will take a bit longer due to road works or traffic jam,
Should be ok
Fixes: 47

I hate that on a bus where you have some idiot in the seat behind giving a running commentary of the journey to their friend waiting in town for them.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

like you, havent been on a local bus for years..... yet driving around behind "local" service busses run by First and Aviva, they all have big adverts on the back saying..... Jim uses his journey time, getting up to date news.... or... Mary surfs the net on the way to the beach.... etc etc....
I often think that must be because the journey takes twice as long as if they were going by car !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
Also probably goes some way to explaining to £5.50 return fare for an 8 minute journey...

You'll probably find you've got an all day rover style ticket that you can re-use on any route provided by that bus company.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: avatastic
Quote from: DaveyH

You'll probably find you've got an all day rover style ticket that you can re-use on any route provided by that bus company.

Nope it was a return. The all day ticket is £6.90
Community Veteran

My stepson is catching the bus into the next town - it is 7 miles each way. He's on a college course.
His ticket is £7.50 return (not an all day rider ticket).
He was happy that he was getting free wifi until I pointed out that when he officially starts at college, he has to fund his transport himself .......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm fortunate in having a free bus pass but unfortunate that we get one bus every 2 hours and nothing on a Sunday or after 7 PM.
By the time it gets to us it's usually full so standing room only so rarely use it and go by car.
So much for saving the environment.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I got on an old bus yesterday and was surprised to see that there was enough room for my legs so that they weren't pressed against the seat in front......  I'd definitely trade "freewifi" for actual comfort..
Razer
Grafter

I absolutely detest buses, but it wasn't a problem for years and years - I just used the train. Now, however, I have no choice but to use buses if I need or want to go anywhere. As for leg room, if I can't get the back seat I'm buggered. It's shit to be tall in a small person's world!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Razer
It's [Censored] to be tall in a small person's world!

I'm with you on that one Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

hey, I'm short and I don't fit!
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: Razer
It's [Censored] to be tall in a small person's world!

I'm with you on that one Sad

+1
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation