cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

as I said MS has standards on the quality of product they have in there app store....
compare that to Google or apple who prefer to let millions be scammed through dodgy apps so long as they get there cut and then instead of taking it offline they "ask" the person or persons that published it to kindly remove it ...............

also the fact that they admitted they couldn't do the code required to make something that was in any way better than IE only goes to MS's credit, as for the adoption rate, I don't doubt there figures why would someone want to install an inferior product that doesn't even work on a lot of websites .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Grafter

Re: When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

Quote from: nanotm
<snip>
also the fact that they admitted they couldn't do the code required to make something that was in any way better than IE only goes to MS's credit, as for the adoption rate, I don't doubt there figures why would someone want to install an inferior product that doesn't even work on a lot of websites .......

That means that they either do not employee decent coders, or the coders are only doing as they are told
As for Mozilla
Do they really want to waste their time with M/S Metro crapps ?Huh
Highlighted
Pro

I was referring to Mozilla, they wasted 2 years trying to find a way to get a metro option working, why they did so is beyond me as well
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Never having used IE for many years now, even when I used to SUPPORT M$ I used Firefox as it was just a better browser, all the fixes to web sites are to support the "standards" that M$ pushes. Not the same standard as everyone else though.
And IE is the MOST hacked browser out there  Tongue  Roll_eyes
Highlighted
Grafter

Android ====> a flavour of linux =======> different flavour(s) of linux ======> fixes all flavour(s) of M/S on many occasion(s) Wink
Including boot discs Cheesy Roll_eyes
Does M/S fix the many flavours of linux ?Huh
Firefox is still a great browser & will always tower over IE any day Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I much prefer standard standards to Microsoft standards, I will NEVER code a website just to accommodate the 'quirks' of certain IE versions (or any other browser compliant with non-standard standards) and I detest when sites are coded specifically for such non-standard standards which then break standards compliant browsers.
I just hope I don't get accused of 'double standards'.
Microsoft might be big but that gives them no right to dictate that their standards are better then proper established standards.

I much prefer Lynx to IE.  Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
It is a lengthy process just to find a rooting app that works these days, for the 2.1 it was much easier
Do you happen to know the names of any credible ROOTING apps that may be worth a try.

TBH you really need to be investigating how to root your particular device rather than a particular version of Android.
What make /model is it?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: 77
I much prefer standard standards to Microsoft standards, I will NEVER code a website just to accommodate the 'quirks' of certain IE versions (or any other browser compliant with non-standard standards)
<snip>
Exactly
& IE is a coders worst nightmare, as I found out the hard way
& M/S needs to toe the line, as fines aint nothing to them
What make /model is it?

It is a
Alps KingTopG72WG
<snip>
Droid Version 4.2.2
Kernel Version 3.4.5 saiv@saiv-desktop #1
Build number ALPS.JB3.MPV.V1.10
BaseBand Version MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V4.P2.2013/11/01 19:59
Custom Build Version Unknown

Highlighted
Pro

Android ====> a flavour of linux =======> different flavour(s) of linux ======> fixes all flavour(s) of M/S on many occasion(s) Wink
Including boot discs Cheesy Roll_eyes
Does M/S fix the many flavours of linux ?Huh
Firefox is still a great browser & will always tower over IE any day Wink

that's a matter of personal preference more than anything else though really, I prefer to use MS consumer stuff because it just works and whilst there not any better than anyone else when it comes to privacy issues they do care enough about the company rep they wont allow viri ridden trash to be put on there own web store
add into that I have zero intention of messing with code every time I want something to install a new game or upgrade a bit of hardware ......
nix has its uses but not too many for the vast number of consumers who's only care is what happens when I hit the power button  and click the icon ( a pretty big reason why there are so many pc repair shops)
as for browsers, I've used plenty of them and only recently started to use IE again -used it a lot when I worked on the intranet (not a typo) - none of them seem much better than the next any more its just preference again.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

That model is listed here as a tested compatible device if it helps: http://www.srsroot.com/%5Csupported
Once rooted it can be worth installing Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (saves re-rooting after an update, also allows easy temporary unrooting).
Call me 'w23'
Highlighted
Grafter

I did notice that it is supported, that is why I asked for members thoughts on it Wink
<snip>
I am thinking of trying http://www.srsroot.com/ however before I do what are yours & or anybody else's thoughts on this app
<snip>
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I must admit I've only used 'one click root' and (on devices with MTK processors) MediaTek's own software.
Call me 'w23'
Highlighted
Grafter

The 1st time I have ever hooked the Phablet to the laptop & this is what I was presented with

I also have more options than I do on the 2.1experia phone
1. USB Storage
2. Media Device (MTP)
3. Camera (PTP)
4. Charge only
5. Connect as cd-rom (show a virtual CD-ROM containing useful software) =====> only a PDF for Micro-USB_1_01.pdf
The Windows update failed to update the Google Inc, with error Code 800F020B (which typically means it's trying to install to a device that is not connected to the computer, although the device is connected ?Huh
Will reboot laptop & then try again
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

IF the driver isn't available on the included (internal) cd then you need to contact your supplier.
You can try the root package IF it roots it, install SuperSU from play store and remove any surplus stuff it installed.
I tend to use ESfilemanager but others prefer root explorer for browsing the fs.
Basically even if the rooter puts something on the tablet you can remove it easily with those tools.
Highlighted
Grafter

After the reboot it claimed have installed the driver, in the small box, however Windows is still saying it is not ?Huh
This time with error Code 80070103 (which typically means one might be trying to install a driver that is already installed on your computer or a driver that has a lower compatibility rating than one you already have installed.)
Therefore will have to look more indepth later, when I get another 5 mins
I managed to successfully run SRS & BusyBox says it is now rooted (However apps still require root to uninstall, say otherwise)
Is that where SuperSU Come in to play ?Huh
I am waiting for the Phablet to charge before I can proceed further with it