cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

A full list of Facebooks Newest permissions on this embedded (Rooted app) that got installed in an update & (DID NOT ASK my PERMISSION(s))
If you want the older permissions feel free to ask & I will gladly post them
Read from the permissions on the Phablet itself (therefore no hear say from the (Internet / Epapers etc)
Your messages
1. Read Your Text Messages (SMS or MMS)
Your Personal Information
2. Add or modify calendar events & send Email to Guests (WITHOUT OWNERS KNOWLEDGE), Read calendar events plus (CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION), Read your own Contact Card
Network Communication
3. Connect & Disconnect from WiFI (Full Network Access)
Audio Settings
4. Change your Audio Settings
System Tools
5. Send Sticky Broadcast & Test Access to Protected Storage
Network Communication
6. Change Network Connectivity, DOWNLOAD FILES WITHOUT NOTIFICATION & Receive DATA from Internet, View WiFi Connections & (View Network Connections)
Your Accounts
7.Read Google Service Configuration (FIND ACCOUNTS ON THE DEVICE)

When will all this end
When will the Governing bodies get involved & say enough is enough
What ever happened to Respect other peoples Privacy
Some business use Facebook / Skype et all & they should also be saying enough is enough (How do they know that their clients that (have not got & or will not use the likes of Facebook) (have their details that are stored on that businesses device mined by Facebook et al))
These big wigs have been getting away with far to much for far too long
Some regulatory body(s) should step in & close them down forever not allowed to trade again as they are clearly repeat offenders & (Fines are nothing to them)
Thank peeps
I really need to get rid of this app, as I need to eliminate every possible reason why I keep intermittently loosing WiFi only, WiFi / Ethernet connection to all my devices as reported in my lengthy post in Broadband & Routers that has affected 3 yes routers in my home & 1 other that we know of to date.
I forgot to mention that I had Disabled it (however it did not prevent it form calling home for updates & (Whatever else) ?Huh
It also does not show on the list of Disabled apps on this device, or on / in any list except for the app store which ask permission to either uninstall or enable (as we know tapping on uninstall will (if your lucky on some devices) only uninstall the update(s) If very lucky will (uninstall the app)
@Barry
I will be looking into that in due course Smiley
@Thunderclap (you posted as I was typing this Wink
I never feel guilty if / when I need to eradicate any app / program so long as it is not going to cause issue(s) with the running of the device itself Wink

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

Cool In the wake of Ed Snowden, and knowing how Android Jellyspy has some default right to know my cyberself better than me, "WITHOUT OWNERS KNOWLEDGE" is a prophetic setting. Call me paranoid...
Sad PARANOID
... but maybe I should cover over that front mounted webcam and turn off the GPS. Before they find out too much.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26210053
Highlighted
Grafter

Cheesy
Highlighted
Fixes: 414

Some apps I have had no problem with uninstalling and some I have been able to disable.
Then there are some (e.g. Flipboard) that, when I attempt to disable, give a message:
If you disable a built-in app, this may cause problems with other apps. Your data will also be deleted.

I'm not worried about the data as the app has never been used (at least, I assume it's only referring the that app's own data) but how would I know if any other app would be affected.or is that just a scaremongering tactic to try to stop people from disabling them?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Grafter

I think the Russians have adopted the best idea so far since the Internet began (Which we should also bear in mind)
From the Beeb
Kremlin security agency to buy typewriters 'to avoid leaks'
@Mav
Unless confirmed
I think it is most likely to be scaremongering

Edit:
Quote from: PowerLee
I rooted my Sony Ericsson Android handset to remove all the pre installed bloat ware
<snip>

What app did you use to successfully root your phone ?Huh
Can you provide a link please ?Huh
Highlighted
Grafter

I had a Disabled not used ingrained Facebook App on Droid 4.2.2 Phablet, update again behind my back, & literally disabled the WiFi
All other devices were not affected.
I turned WiFi OFF / ON on the  Phablet (to no avail)
I turned the WiFi button OFF / ON the router itself (to no avail)
Checked running processes on the Phablet (Nothing unusual showing)
Checked what apps had been updated & seen that Facebook was the only one (Uninstalled the update(s) for Facebook) WiFi Connectivity restored immedietely
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

To fully remove the apps you don't want/use you need to "root" your phone/tablet/why.
Once you have done that install one of the FREE app uninstallers from play store.
Open it, allow it root access. (A pop up should appear asking if it can have access)
select the apps you don't want and press uninstall.
OR get a custom rom with the apps removed already.
When I write a custom rom, I move these apps to the /data/app area which means that the USER can install them using the methods already listed. This doesn't work for apps installed as part of /system/app for them you need to do the above.
BTW the list of permissions is generic. If they add a particular sdk to allow something then it will include a parcel of "required permissions" whether the app actually needs these is moot, they get them anyway with the toolkit chain.
Highlighted
Grafter

You need to careful if you root and uninstall apps: large chunks of the Android O/S functionality is now provided via Play Store apps* so if you're thinking of removing a Google app - particularly one you don't recognise - it probably pays to Google the app to see if it's anything crucial.
Another thing to note is that there is some uncertainty around whether rooting invalidates your warranty - i.e. if you need to send the phone in for repair under warranty, the manufacturer may refuse to repair it.  My own feeling is that if you just root the phone - i.e. get 'admin' access - you'll probably get away with it as it may not even be noticed however, if you root and ROM (basically, replace the manufacturer provided OS), you're almost certainly going to be SOL.

* Google has been moving functionality out of the base operating system and into apps for the last year or two in an attempt to mitigate the problems with manufacturers and networks not providing new versions of Android for phones.  This explains why recent O/S releases have been pretty underwhelming: basically, all the 'good stuff' is now released via the Play Store - hence the vast number of updates to Google apps (you never use) that keep popping up.
Highlighted
Grafter

I have installed Z4root
Which works well on my older 2.1 droid experia phone
Unfortunately on the 4.2.2 Phablet either Temporary or permanent root results in a spinning circle =====> main apps page then have to go to the running apps page to discover that Z4root states Phase1 with a blank white page, & will remain in that state until battery runs out, if I let it.
Is the a rooting app that actually works with droid 4.2.2
I have been looking at these (however they are for a ROOTED device)
http://www.oneclickroot.com/root-android/top-5-most-essential-apps-for-your-rooted-android/
Here is Googles found apps not sure which will work
Highlighted
Community Veteran

You need to look for one that will work on your tablet/phone not just a generic one.
The tricks I used on some tablets work on some newer ones and not on others.
IF you can get adb running and connect then try to shell and su from there. If that makes no sense to you keep looking for a root for your device.
Highlighted
Grafter

Cheers HMcB
It is a lengthy process just to find a rooting app that works these days, for the 2.1 it was much easier
Do you happen to know the names of any credible ROOTING apps that may be worth a try.
I am thinking of trying http://www.srsroot.com/ however before I do what are yours & or anybody else's thoughts on this app
Edit:
What is the best free unrooted android backup app to SDcard, to use prior to ROOTING
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

I found a way to get round those pesky things
I bought a windows device and it didn't come with any of that nasty extra spyware stuff ......
yes I'm well aware that any provisioner will spy on my activities at a certain level, however with the windows mobile or windows tablet only the comms apps want to do it, with android everything wants the ability to record everything I do ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
What is the best free unrooted android backup app to SDcard, to use prior to ROOTING

Try Helium from the play store. It will not backup the whole rom though, you really need adb and root access to do that.
As to a M$ tablet, WHY why why???? Where are the 1000's of free apps for them? Or even 100's? You think M$ isn't following you, your device will be checking in with HQ every time it connects to the net, for "updates" yeah really?
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah I know it will but that's exactly the same for android or apple, the difference is with windoze its only MS that's directly tracking you unless you specifically decide to get those "free apps"
as for the diversity of the app store, the more people who adopt the windows eco system the more stuff gets made for it, and I say made for it because MS for some reason has standards about what they will allow to be published in the store so for many app makers its a lot more involved than porting to the newer platform........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Things like the Firefox metro app, oh dear they have dropped it  Grin