cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

TORPC
Grafter

When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

Seeing all the apps that some like me does not want but can not uninstall the likes of Facebook etc
What are our legal rights when it comes to issue(s) like these.
Facebook’s phone app can read your texts, make calls and turn off Wi-Fi - should you worry?
It can read your text messages - and look at picture ones - and has the right to turn off your phone’s Wi-Fi, without telling you. Other popular apps can use your exact location - and make silent calls.

It seems we are not allowed to escape the likes of Facbook
I am watching the film Faces in the Crowd & you will never guess what is viewed on the netbook in the film @ approx 25 minutes in.
46 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

Bit of a non-question really.  You don't have to install Facebook and you can uninstall it...
itsme
Grafter

Re: When apps are pre-installed & can not be uninstalled what are your legal rights

@pwatson It's not a non-question as there are several apps that are pre-installed and can't be uninstalled and the OP has used Facebook as an example.
TORPC
Grafter

@itsme
Thank you & no I have not used the app that is pre-installed int factory
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I may be wrong (someone will soon tell me!) but I think that while these various apps are pre- installed on your phone they will have to be activated by you before they will work.
I have found that to be the case on tablets and PCs.
On PCs there is the option to completely remove the programme however I Googled 'How to remove apps from smartphone' - there are quite a few sites that may be of interest.
Smiley

TORPC
Grafter

Without activation they still call home for updates Sad
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

That's pretty sneaky!
I haven't got a smartphone but I have looked at a few of the sites that offer advice on how to remove unwanted apps.
It all looks quite complicated - I suppose in the end you may just have to live with it.
Sorry - I'm not much help.
TimeRider
Grafter

And the even more worrying thing, some preinstalled apps are detected as malware.. Make a backup of your phone and scan it (I used avast) - all those free little games... nice, thanks Samsung!
As for facebook, first thing I did was root my phone and get rid of junk like that Smiley
cyril, It can be quite complicated, depending on the phone model - In some cases the manufacturers issue clean roms, and the carriers 'infect' them with their branding/malware etc. If you do want to try rooting your phone etc, my generic advice would be READ up, read up a lot, over a period of days, take your time... Then - once you've removed the malware, enjoy your faster, more stable, more secure device Smiley
Not really answering the question about legal rights, but ut's likely that's covered on page 1502 of the terms of use agreement for your mobile device - and it's likely you agreed to that when you switched it on and clicked next :/
Steve
http://tube.timerider.co.uk
TORPC
Grafter

Most of what I understand it that I would have to root the phablet / tablet / phone / TV device before the pre-installed apps can be removed but then their not 100% guaranteed to be removed.
Also if one was to root the device the warranty could become nil & void
Also there are many a app to root the device with various reviews, that are scattered
Have any members used a good rooting app that they can recommend
Droid Version 4.2.2
Kernel Version 3.4.5 saiv@saiv-desktop #1
Build number ALPS.JB3.MPV.V1.10
BaseBand Version MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V4.P2.2013/11/01 19:59
Custom Build Version Unknown
Community Veteran

Or just use one the freely available (paid) apps that can change permissions for you.
PowerLee
Rising Star

I rooted my Sony Ericsson Android handset to remove all the pre installed bloat ware plus allow the app's locked to the system memory I did want to keep be moved to the sd card to free up system space.
Be warned that some app's wont allow install on a rooted device!
4OD app is one, there are a few others.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In Android, you should be able to 'disable' factory installed apps, go into 'Apps', find the offender, depending on the Android version you may have 'stop' after which you will find 'uninstall' or similar (just uninstalls any updates I think) then 'disable' or similar (I had to do this on my phone to make more space for installing stuff I did want).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Thunderclap
Grafter

The problem with burnt-in Apps is they are often 'rooted'  in with the OS. In the case of Android, for example, they can only be removed if you root your device and, you know exactly what you are doing. Some Apps seem tied to hardware features; such as the Near Field reader, GPS and Infrared LED, and cannot be removed. Other Apps though are WTF is that doing there? And, why do I need five cloud services including one that prints me a free coaster every time I upload a photo? Legally speaking, I suggest they are no different to the bloat that comes with a PC - it's included by the vendor in the purchase and therefore, you own it. You can remove it, but be carefull. But if Android frightens you or, the device is a rental, or it's supplied by work, you can try this...
With Android, and without resorting to rooting, you can try to DISABLE the App.
Tap > Settings and then tap Application Manager
Now scroll down or sidways to the column headed ALL
Here you will find all the Apps installed.
Pick one, for example we shall use Maps
Tap > MAPS
This displays the application's control menu. You'll also see what this App is allowed to do...
Yes it can delete files on your USB drive.
Tap > FORCE STOP
Tap > DISABLE
Et voila, the App is disabled.
Well most times it will have. Sometimes the disable button is greyed out due to some other dependency.
The disabled App now joins the list of disabled Apps at the bottom of the ALL column.
On the App screen ( the COG ) the icon will now have gone.
You can also use Application Manager to roll back any updates and, using clear cache and clear data, remove those annoying history lists that Google seems to remember forever. But don't do a clear on Email as it burns all of your account settings!
To re-enable the App, just reverse the process.
Here's a list of some disabled Apps...
Allshare Controller
Allshare Play
Amazon Kindle
Backup Assistant Plus
Bubbles
Clock (digital)
Clock (funky)
Color
Com2uSPoker
DirectConnectManager
DirectShareManager
Deep Sea
Dual Clock (analog)
Dual Clock (digital)
Exchange Services
Flipboard
Face nlock
Google Play Music
Google+
Kies Air
Market Feedback Agent
Media Hub
Music Hub
News Daemon(Eur)
Phase Beam
Photo Wall
S Suggest
S voice
Samsung account
Samsung Backup Provider
Samsung Could Data Relay
Samsung Cloud syncadapters
Samsung Push Service
Samsung TTS
Share app
SNS - Facebloat
Stock Daemon(eur)
Sync Service
Tags
Talk Back
Topic Wall
Weather
Weather Deamon
Weather Main
Windy Weather
Yahoo! Finance
Yahoo! News
Yahoo Finance
Community Veteran

Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool I should have added that most Apps are not put on your device by the vendor to make your life easier, they are there to divert your attention towards the vendor's app store, or some third party revenue generating tie-in.There's nothing altruistic about having Google Play and Google Hangouts on your mobile, or Samsung Cloud or Amazon Kindle on your tablet. So there's no need to feel guilty about disabling or removing them altogether. 
btw When it comes to spring cleaning your device, you should avoid disabling anything with Android in the name!