cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I was a little shaver

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I was a little shaver

At the age of 13 /1/2 I was sent home from school with the words "go home son and get a shave" from my form teacher ringing in my ears. So I did, borrowing my dads razor which he was issued with as a WW2 P.O.W by his German captors and wouldn't give up. Dad was pretty furious, but had a kind of indulgent smile as well, and went straight out and bought me my first razor a three piece screw together one using double edge blades. I continued to use his brush and soap though.
Over the next fifty years or so I think I have tried every type of razor from cut-throat to top of the range electric, settling for the last twenty years with multi-blade wet razors and cans of foam or gel. I don't know why I ever bothered with electric I can't ever remember getting a decent shave with one!!
Recently, I have become fed-up with the cost of modern multi-blades, and took the decision to discard them (after running out of course) and purchase a double edge razor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002RBGYXW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
Yes it has taken a short while to re-learn how to use it, but I am now so glad I did, the quality of shave has to be tried to believe. Last week I took the final step and discarded cans of foam or gel for a shaving brush and soap...so much smoother, and SWMBO claims it smells nice too.
Brilliant, highly recommended.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
34 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Re: When I was a little shaver

I've stopped using multi-blade razers too and have switched to the Merkur HD. The closeness of the shave and comfort of it is so much better than a multi-blade razer. Then you have the massive cost savings, 50 double edge blades for around £6 instead of 4 multi-blade ones for £8.
I've also started using an alum block after shaving to sooth the skin, I don't think I'll be going back to multi-blade shaving anytime soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Likewise - moved to a Merkur HD a couple of years back (in fact I think I did a Christmas gift ideas blog around the same time with some links in it - http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/12/10/its-chriiiiiiiiiiiiiistmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas/ in fact). Likewise wouldn't go back, it's a nicer shave and as Chris says, much much cheaper than the Gilkinson multi blade efforts with bars and vibrating heads and other assorted novelties that do very little for the shave.
In fact I don't even bother with soap or foam any more, hot water works best for softening the hairs so I just shave as soon as I step out of the shower in the morning.
Community Veteran

I use the Wilkinson Quattro Titanium multi blades.  I find them very good and one blade can usually last me a month.  They are not cheap though.  A pack of four costs around £6.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Oddly enough I moved away from the one blade razor and have been quite satisfied with these,
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/product_range_21256.htm
The razor comes with a pack of five blades and is around the same price.
Certainly worth trying for a few pounds
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

Looks like you need to change the blade HP Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8
Community Veteran

£43.50 for a razor.....you are kidding right?
Community Veteran

With the outlandish price of (Gillette Mach 3 sensor. And that's at the lower end of the price range) multi-blades these days, it will not take long to recoup the cost.
Not particularly expensive anyway, try: http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/ikon-s3s-bull-dog-safety-razor-stainless-steel.php

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I thought you were sending me to the cheap stuff on that link! Huh
I tried the expensive Mach turbo razors, didn't seem to be good value for money. I have been using Wilkinson Extreme disposables which I pick up in Sainsburys. They are regularly on sale and I pick up a couple of packs while they are reduced, usually working out at less than 50p each.
kdoug007
Grafter

the  best razors are the  gillete g2 (  handle that  moves  with  lube)
and  yesterday i got  me  self  a  26p  morrisons    foam its  fab,,,,,,,,
Crazy
Fixes: 125

I hate shaving as no matter what I have tried I always end up with a rash. My face skin seems very sensitive Smiley
Over the years I found that Wilkinson Sword made things worse as did using foam.
Recently I tried some Gillette disposables which gave a worse shave than the Bic ones but were more expensive.
I still prefer the Mach 3 Turbo but, for now, will be sticking with the Bic to save money.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I have never been able to get on with disposable razors. I slash myself to ribbons with them. My ultimate horror is arriving in a hotel or such-like and finding I've left my razor at home having used before leaving (done that several times) and having to use one of the disposables usually left in the bathroom. Or even worse, the razors provided in airline sundry bags along with eye-shades and socks dreadful things I'd rather go unshaven.