cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheelies on a Windy Day

Fixes: 47

Wheelies on a Windy Day

I generally park on the road outside my house as I haven't got around to installing a drive.
Wheelie Bins are generally parked at the end of the path adjoining the public footpath along our road.
Today has been a particularly windy day....and you probably know what is coming next Wink
Well no it hasn't happened but what if one of these wheelie bins is blown down the road, bounces off my car bonnet and ends up where the windscreen used to be. Who is responsible for the repair costs.
As far as I'm concerned it's the council.
When I was a lot younger bins were metal and lived round the back of the house from where the bin-man collected it, emptied it and returned it. Now we have to leave them by the side of the road whatever the weather.
On my journey to work this morning I passed a number of wheelie bins in the road and had to negotiate round them. Many of them had blown over before being emptied and their contents were now being distributed around the neighbourhood.
Very 'environmentally friendly' I thought Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
5 REPLIES
onlyme
Grafter

Re: Wheelies on a Windy Day

I agree.  Same thing happens on recycling day, loads of plastic bags, cardboard and paper flying around.  Glass bottles rolling along the roads and empty recycling containers spaced randomly in the street making a great obstacle course to negotiate.  I used to stop and put these containers back on the pavements but I don't bother any more.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If the bin has to be left kerbside rather than at the boundary to the property  then I don't think house insurance would pay out if ones bin caused an accident.  I also suspect that the council would deny all liability.
Community Veteran

For the council to be liable they would have to have some negligence, so perhaps only on a bin day after collection, if that had not placed the bins back in a secure manner.
Otherwise it would be the bins owner / household that the bin is used by (Do we own our wheely bins are are they loaned from the council?)
Penguin lawyer
prichardson
Grafter

I had a Wheely bin attack me a couple of Fridays ago.
Had a puncture on my car, so it was in for some new tyres, so a good old session on the mobile asylum (train) was in order. On the return leg after an 8pm finish, just climbing up the ramp from the station and a bin comes flying past at head height, about 2 to 3 foot away from me.
Because it was dark, I didn't see it until it was too late, but to say it was freeky.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: chillypenguin
For the council to be liable they would have to have some negligence

I would suggest there is negligence by everyone who places such an object in such a location in such weather conditions.
Common sense would tell me not to place the bin at the end of my path but I am required to by the council otherwise it won't get emptied.
It is, therefore compulsory negligence....something of a dilemma I would propose Undecided Angry
Maybe the council should pass a by-law requiring me to drive with my eyes shut within the city boundary. Wink
Quote from: Sheffield
Your black wheeled bin is provided for the collection of general household waste.  Your bin should be presented at the kerbside for collection by 7:00am with the lid closed. If your bin is not at the kerbside your bin cannot be emptied.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation