cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheelie Bins on a Windy Day

Fixes: 47

Wheelie Bins on a Windy Day

Once again it's windy on bin day and we have wheelie bins blowing about the road, I had to move 2 on our road just to get home from shopping.
Good neighbourliness is one thing but moving dozens of emptied bins back onto people's property can be a full time job.
Apparently the ruling about removal of black bins is this:
After the bin has been emptied the householder is responsible for returning the bin to their own property as soon as possible, no later than 9am on the day after collection.

Many people on our road go to work so their bins are sitting empty all day on the footpath and inevitably blow about causing a hazard.
Which brings me to a point I have probably raised before....
If a wheelie bin causes damage to someone else's property (e.g. car) who is responsible.
Veolia who own the wheelie bin or the householder where the bin lives or the Council who employ the services of Veolia.
If the householder is responsible does that mean they have to take a half day off work every week to secure their bin.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Wheelie Bins on a Windy Day

Shouldn't the subject of this topic be
Wheeeee......lie bins?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

you could try putting a couple of bricks in the bottom of the wheelie bin to weight it down, problem is though those bricks will probably get disposed of or you might risk the bin not being emptied as they won't lift them if they're very heavy...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

I've often worried about my wheelie bin damaging a neighbour's car and who is responsible.  If the bin is put in a place my the contractor where it can cause damage I think there is a case to be made against him.
At the end of the day household insurance would pick up the costs of any damage.
wacky17
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
you could try putting a couple of bricks in the bottom of the wheelie bin to weight it down

You have a good point there. why dont they make the bins have a small separated part at the bottom where you can fill with your own water so when empty they are just heavy enough.

Probably because they expect everyone to remove them the moment they are emptied. Not practical for many people.
When I was a kid (yes I was...once) the bin men used to collect the bin from the house, front or back and once emptied they returned it to the same place. Not these days.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

good idea wacky17, I can't see each and every wheelie bin getting replaced so maybe a separate plastic water filled weight that could perhaps be wedged into the bottom of the bin might work...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'd say its the conpany that left the bin there that are liable. You can't be reasonably expected by the law to rush home to put it away and then return to work. The company left it there they have a duty of care towards other road users.
I remember once years ago when I'd just got my licence I was taking the SO to work and a bloody dustbin blew down the road towards us at an accelerated rate. I thought we were done for lol.. only a bit of plastic but by god at that speed i thought it was gonna seriously do something. Minor scratch to the bumper and a dented bin kicked out of the way lol.
I now refuse to put the rubbish out for the bin men. Since the council wrote to us and our neighbours at our previous location and threatened to prosecute us all for putting it out (animals) I felt we shouldn't put it out here either. We have just as many animals and it saves us a bit of work. The bin men still begrudgingly collect it from outside the front door.. they often leave a bit or take something else they wern't meant to (like the carpet from the back of my car - left out to dry lol) but they still do a reasonable job.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I windy conditions, I usually lay wheelie bins on their front (provided they're not full of course)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we have just started a Kitchen waste collection here (fish heads, bones et al), and it is a sealed small bin.
When the operator collects it, they return the empty bin and lay it down.  You then know it has been emptied and wont blow away so easy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah you saying that pierre reminds me we have a plastic box for our recycling (paper, glass, cans etc) which they also leave upside down. I don't remember it blowing away like this either unlike the dustbin.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
you could try putting a couple of bricks in the bottom of the wheelie bin to weight it down, problem is though those bricks will probably get disposed of or you might risk the bin not being emptied as they won't lift them if they're very heavy...

i didnt put are black bin out in time as sod law they came at 8am instead of normal 3pm onwards(sum times a day late) last month, 4 kids so alot of waste, jumping on the dam thing for 2 of the 4 weeks to fit it all in, come bin day it was full to the point no more jumping would work.
broke my back getting out the gate with help from a friend, now i wish i had filmed the bin dude taking it  Grin tried a one handed quick getaway which left him anoyed tried a 2 handed getway with no joy looked at me in the window lmao and looked even more anoyed, lifted lid to i asume check for dead body after that called his mate over to help. you could hear the hydraulics on the lift ready to brust but it lifted it
hum con/lib gov this dosent mean you can now change us to a monthly collection, if you do you may find what your looking for next time the bin man lifts the lid  Crazy

Just to compound the issue we have a slightly smaller but equally unstable blue bin for bottles and cans etc plus a blue box with a bonnet for paper and card.
These also are very capable of wind assisted travel but only go out once a fortnight, the next being the 13th of this month. Hope it's not windy then Roll eyes
Maybe I could drive a stake into the front lawn and attach the bin to that with instructions for the bin man on how to release and re-attach it. Tongue
Community Veteran

We also get a small green container for food waste.  I refuse to use it for food but it's great for planting daffodils in the winter.
Cefca
Dabbler

I know this isn't entirely helpful but this thread does make me wonder what they make wheely bins out of in some place. Not a single time in some damn high winds have any bins in my street been blow even an inch. =/