cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheelie Bins on a Windy Day

Fixes: 394

Re: Wheelie Bins on a Windy Day

Maybe you live in a particularly windy area of the country and bins are fabricated accordingly. If so we could do with some here. Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Aaah remember the days of carrying the metal bin through the house (terraced) on the day of the collection because you weren't allowed to leave the bins on the footpath?
Then the competition by the binmen to see who could put the deepest dent in the side of your bin...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PigeonPete
Dabbler

Necro posting here.

Count yourselves lucky, our neighbours are so lazy they can't be bothered to even walk their bins back to their rightful places behind the properties. 

Every storm they get strewn all over the highway.  Here it could cause serious harm as we have the national speed limit.

If it's a windy day, I forgo putting our bin out.  We get weekly collections so it's no great hardship.  Our small bin between two actually only needs emptying one time a month if that.  I realise that could be difficult for some.

To lay responsibility for any damage to the refuse collectors is completely laughable, and yet another abdication of responsibility. 

Having said that, our bin men can't be hassled to even return bins to the pavement half the time.  That coupled with decaying neighborliness makes it rubbish for all.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well with my council you have:

A green rubbish bin (gets collected every fortnight).

A brown bin, for garden waste - doesn't come out the council tax like it should, you have to pay around £40 per year for that. That gets collected on the week the green bin isn't.

A green small bin for paper.
A brown one for cans/plastic.
A black one for glass.

So if you like bins, move into my area :rolleyes:

My mum was watching one of those house renovation programmes a few week back, and being as sad as I am, I noticed the bins (no markings on them), and I said "That is local to me", when they mentioned the area I laughed. It is, about a mile away from me.

Ok enough from DI Alex bin identifier :tongue:

Anonymous
Not applicable

When it's forecast to be really windy, we Long Cable tie our bins together by the handles, so that we can still use them, and they don't move around like Daleks......

Until it's time to put them out of course !!

They are OK when full, but after being emptied, that's another story.

The local village high street is on a slope, the bins perform slalom races down the road when it's really windy, thankfully it's mostly empty bins, though some commercial bins sometimes join them...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Bungee cords across the lids keep them closed in the event of the bin blowing over.

screenshot_630

You can buy them from the market for a couple of quid and they do an excellent job of stopping the lids flapping in the wind too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Since my last post in this thread, I have had £400 of damage caused to my car with wind driven bins into the doors, fortunately the dents were relatively easy for Mr Dent to paintlessly remove. But they did look ugly.

Where I have to stand the three bins and small pod is in between the car and the house, the space is like a wind tunnel in the slightest breeze. A fence put in as protection was simply blown out.

In my previous post I said the simplest way is to lay the bins out long ways to the wind. It works even in the strongest gales if rather untidy, and cheaper too.

At the first hint of anything over a summer breeze in a weather forecast, over they go.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alex wrote:

Well with my council you have:

A green rubbish bin (gets collected every fortnight).

A brown bin, for garden waste - doesn't come out the council tax like it should, you have to pay around £40 per year for that. That gets collected on the week the green bin isn't.

A green small bin for paper.
A brown one for cans/plastic.
A black one for glass.

So if you like bins, move into my area :rolleyes:

We used to have Bins, Bags & Boxes for the various recyclable items, if you had the "wrong" item in the respective receptacle, it didn't get taken !!

Our Council (Derbyshire CC) has now seen the light, and everything just goes into the one bin, apart from garden waste, which is collected free in a separate Green bin.

Since they introduced this new policy (probably with expenditure at the recycling site) we now find the Brown recycling bin takes a fortnight to nearly fill, with the respective reduction in Black bin contents, everything is collected on a two weekly basis, so this new policy does help.

We have several bins, so pro rata the same applies.

BROWN BIN.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently it's going to get really Wet & Windy here tomorrow, with Met Office Warnings in place, though thankfully not as bad as some areas in the UK.

And to make matters worse, Thursday am is Wheelie Bin emptying day by the local CC, which means lots of empty bins trying to escape !!

Our recycling bins are fairly empty too.....

Having learnt from last time, once our bins have been emptied, usually around 8am, they will all be cable tied together which will help prevent them from causing mayhem in the garden.

And it's not a day to go shopping, with supermarket trolleys having races around their respective car parks !

Are you taking any precautions ?

Fixes: 394

I have a green wheelie bin on the front of the house ready for the Friday collection.

It's chock full of wet grass and must weigh upwards of 40kg so I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Anonymous
Not applicable

A trick I learnt from our gardener, wedge open the lid at all times, (I use a thick twig) this allows moisture to escape, makes the bin lighter, and gives some extra space for more green stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great timing !!!

Today, Thursday, we collect the Garden Parasol we have on order !!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Done mine just now.

Brown rubbish and all the recycling.

Sorry mods don't tell me off for this really bad pun - sorry I've bin borning. :tongue:

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

Do you have any trampolines?

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Apparently it's going to get really Wet & Windy here tomorrow, with Met Office Warnings in place, though thankfully not as bad as some areas in the UK.

Oh Yes it will.......

Oh NO it didn't !!!

But it were a bit chilly for Sunbathing..