cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp Desktop Video

Highlighted
Rising Star

Whatsapp Desktop Video

WhatsApp might soon let you make video calls with up to 50 participants on desktop, giving you a new alternative to Zoom, Skype and Google Meet for your video conferencing needs.

The new option was spotted in a beta version of WhatsApp Web by eagle-eyed researchers at WABetaInfo. Shortcuts in the WhatsApp's menus will direct you to the newly released Facebook Messenger Rooms, where you can create a room and invite people to join, or create a room directly from WhatsApp.

WhatsApp recently gained a major update with support for eight-way video calls on mobile devices, but these new shortcuts will give you another option if you need to invite more people to the conversation.

https://www.techradar.com/news/whatsapp-could-become-the-new-zoom-with-50-person-video-calls-on-the-...

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Whatsapp Desktop Video

Watching BBC Click over the weekend, a noise cancelling software was trialled (https://krisp.ai/). They compared it with the noise cancelling from NVidia, which uses spare capacity in the graphics card. Seemed to work pretty well and is free for personal use. Might come in handy for those conference calls 😀

Highlighted
Rising Star

Looks interesting.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

All the more data for Facebook to mine and sell.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@Mook And people worry about the corvid tracing ap the government will ask us to download because it may be an invasion of our privacy HuhShocked

Highlighted
Pro

If people took the time to actually read the T&Cs of the likes of Facebook they would realise just how intrusive the company is in their lives and what they are consenting to when they blindly click "I Agree". But when your presented with page after page of them how many actually do.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 32

@Mook Hence why my very rarely used FB account is registered with a fake name, through my 'rubbish sites' Gmail address.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@jab1 wrote:

@Mook Hence why my very rarely used FB account is registered with a fake name, through my 'rubbish sites' Gmail address.

Ditto.

@TTman wrote:

@Mook And people worry about the corvid tracing ap the government will ask us to download because it may be an invasion of our privacy HuhShocked

The very fact that it took them so long to write it after announcing it and completely rebuking the google / apple versions already in existence hasn't done any favours for Boris and co. It shouldn't take that long but it did. What have they written that app to do other than scan for nearby bluetooth devices? And why are they insistent that they use their own instead of an already existing solution on google / apple? - If that's not one way of getting direct access to someones mobile, files, personal data etc then i don't know what is.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 12

All Facebook properties/domains are blacklisted at a network level at home, and none of their apps are on any of my devices...