cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon

idonno
Grafter
Posts: 94
Thanks: 9
Registered: 22-10-2015

WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon

Just glad I don't use WhatsApp. From the BBC

I really do wonder who these companies think they are. You'd think they owned YOUR phone!

Small edge of the wedge comes to mind. Bit like the privacy on Facebook, might as well as be open to all......... as I found out recently. One reason my FB account went in the bin!

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,921
Thanks: 514
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon

So they're going to introduce adverts. So what... 

What concerns me is that they're just going to start sharing data with facebook regardless of my wishes. I don't want my phone number being given out to people.

What part of I want to keep my details private does facebook not understand?

I am well aware that facebook is the biggest social network on the planet. The fact that I have opted to remain out of it and not share my details with it is a point that they should respect - not go on an all out mission to share my details.

 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16,540
Thanks: 1,789
Fixes: 125
Registered: 06-04-2007

Re: WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon

From OP's link

WhatsApp will now share users' phone numbers with the social network, which it will use to provide "more relevant" friend suggestions

I can make my own friends, thank you.

I wonder if they will eventually force users to log in via Facebook. That would be me out.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Posts: 4,596
Thanks: 751
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon

My dad was saying I should get on whatsapp to send messages and video and all that for nowt, now that there's some privacy and excessive advertising issues, I'm not going to use it, can't trust things that flat out say they'll share your data with another data-hungry company...

DaveyH
Pro
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 177
Fixes: 7
Registered: 15-11-2012

Re: WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon


7up wrote:

So they're going to introduce adverts. So what... 

What concerns me is that they're just going to start sharing data with facebook regardless of my wishes. I don't want my phone number being given out to people.

What part of I want to keep my details private does facebook not understand?

I am well aware that facebook is the biggest social network on the planet. The fact that I have opted to remain out of it and not share my details with it is a point that they should respect - not go on an all out mission to share my details.

 


You can opt out of sharing your data with FB

https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/26000016

DaveyH
Pro
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 177
Fixes: 7
Registered: 15-11-2012

Re: WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon


idonno wrote:



I really do wonder who these companies think they are. You'd think they owned YOUR phone!


 

A Business?

And one that handles 10 of Billions of messages a day for its Billion users

They were going to find a way to fund all those servers and bandwidth for that lot eventually, not mention a return on the 19Billion FB spent acquiring them

Community Veteran
Posts: 13,921
Thanks: 514
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon

Now whatsapp is going to be investigated!

 

You can bet that just like every other investigation nothing will come of it, everything will be found to be ok etc...

 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3760146/WhatsApp-investigated-UK-s-data-watchdog-reve...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,921
Thanks: 514
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: WhatsApp. Ads Coming soon


DaveyH wrote:


not mention a return on the 19Billion FB spent acquiring them


Makes you wonder why these companies buy other companies for such excessive amounts of money if they then regret doing so and want their money back ASAP. You don't get something for nothing. They know it's going to cost, if they're not happy about that then don't bother unless you can do it easily.

RBS wanted to buy Natwest years ago but didn't have the funds to do so. So they asked Natwest to lend them the money. Natwest duly did so, then RBS bought them... and wrote off the loan. My old boss used to work for them and thats how I heard about it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!