Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats The Point?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Whats The Point?

Suzanne Pilley murder: Sentencing of David Gilroy to be filmed live
THE sentencing of David Gilroy for the murder of Suzanne Pilley will be filmed live, following a groundbreaking ruling by Scottish courts.
Following an application by STV, it has been announced that Lord Bracadale will be captured on camera.
Gilroy, 49, was convicted of murder last month.
Ms Pilley, 38, his former lover, disappeared from Edinburgh in May 2010. Her body has never been found.
A statement put out by the Scottish Court Service said: “David Gilroy was found guilty of the murder of Suzanne Pilley on the 15 March 2012.
“Following an application by STV, permission has now been granted to film Lord Bracadale sentencing David Gilroy at the High Court in Edinburgh at 10.00am on 18 April 2012.  This was approved by Lord Hamilton the Lord President and Lord Justice General.

Scotsman
4 REPLIES
thejudge
Grafter

Re: Whats The Point?

Agreed.
There is no point if the only part of the whole case to be shown will be the sentencing, and then only the judge will be shown.
I'm against the televising or filming of court proceedings anyway, and it's nothing to do with any footling nonsense about "the majesty of the Law" or "the dignity of the court". It's just that any footage will be partial (in both senses of the word) and will give a misleading impression to the public; and I don't think judges in our courts should be given any more encouragement to ham it up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Agree... seems a bit pointless.....
just like having the football results shown "live".... no-one is really interested .... Roll eyes
the game is over and the result won`t be any different shown "Live" or recorded on "film" for showing later...... Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

If I'm honest, I'm all up for legal proceedings being shown on TV as long as they are shown in full and kept factual. I can't think of anything worse than celebrity judges, lawyers, barristers, solicitors etc - there would need to be tight regulation.
IT is pointless though to show the sentencing and not the rest of the trial.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

In England it would require changes in the Law. Court artist can't draw when in court and a few months ago someone was found in contempt for taking a photo using their mobile.