cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

What?

I am seriously concerned about this statement....

Pc Harwood, who is suspended from the force on full pay, has been told he will not face any criminal prosecutions over what happened - but he is still facing a Met Police misconduct hearing, due to take place after this inquest.

in this report by the BBC news
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12988626
He should be charged with GBH after attacking Mr. Tomlinson with his truncheon, to the BACK of his legs, and then pushing him FROM BEHIND... as seen on the TV footage... and then the lying little toe rag, tells a completely different story,. and apologises  (sort of) to the family IF he was in any way responsible for the man`s death..
23 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: What?

As your bound to know shutter people get off with a lot worse, Whilst I agree he should not of pushed the bloke from behind It Is a big IF as to killing him.
tinto
Grafter

I was once a member of Lanarkshire's finest for a few years and will admit to slapping a few wrists on occasion.but what happened here was inexcusable.  I've watched the televised images of Tomlinson and Harwood several times, and it should have been obvious to any cop worth the name that Tomlinson was under the influence, but was no threat to anyone.  As such he should not have been batoned or even pushed but led through the police lines and out of the way.  Harwood wasn't the only officer on the scene, and it is noticeable that none of the others made any move towards Tomlinson, so I would guess that was their reading of the situation too.  At the very least Harwood ought to be charged with assault, then, whatever the outcome of that, face disciplinary action by the force.   
Community Veteran

Surely pushing someone from behind who has their hands in their pockets is almost inevitably going to make them fall?
The evidence given suggests the policeman now believes he then thought otherwise.....  Lips are sealed
As for being under the influence, maybe he was feeling unwell? And surely then it is the police duty to assist him?
The doubts over the autopsy mean that his state of health at the time is likely to remain debatable.
Community Veteran

How about this from Augusta, Georgia Undecided

Orville Smith, a store manager for Best Buy in Augusta, Georgia, told police he observed a male customer, later identified as T.C.  Jackson of Augusta, on surveillance cameras putting a laptop computer under his jacket... When confronted the man became irate, knocked down an employee, drew a knife and ran for the door.
    Outside on the sidewalk were four Marines collecting toys for the "Toys for Tots" program. Smith said the Marines stopped the man, but he stabbed one of the Marines, Cpl. Phillip Duggan, in the back; the injury did not appear to be severe.
    After Police and an ambulance arrived at the scene Cpl. Duggan was transported for treatment in the emergency room for a non-life-threatending stab wound in the back.
    The subject/perp was also transported to the local hospital with two broken arms, a broken ankle, a broken leg, several missing teeth, possible broken ribs, multiple contusions, assorted lacerations, a broken nose and a broken jaw..........injuries he sustained when he apparently slipped and fell off the curb after stabbing the Marine corporal.

{Now that was a well- written Police report......!!!!!!] 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think its disgusting. The force know he's done wrong so thats why they're dealing with him internally. If he'd done nothing wrong then why are they still going to deal with it huh?
Lets face it, if you or i did that to someone we'd of been slammed up by know. It's because he's a plod. It seems that corruption is only a bad thing if you're a 'worker' for an authority but if you're a plod or a high ranker it no longer matters. Lets face it with supermarkets giving local authorities tons of cash to be allowed to build new stores it seems corruption has almost been legalised for those who are considered important.
It stinks. He's a plod, he did wrong he should still be busted. Still, don't matter what we think..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

What the hell has this got to do with supermarkets and local authorities.
The decision of the Police does not prevent Tomlinson taking out a private prosecution. This could be his best course of action to secure justice.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo
The decision of the Police does not prevent Tomlinson taking out a private prosecution.

No. but the fact that he's dead does!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Mave beat me to it ....  Shocked

taking out a private prosecution.

why?  why should the family have to pay to have a private prosecution.... ?  the copper did wrong.... anyone can see, he assaulted the man from behind.... police "disciplinary action" is NOTHING compared to what a member of the public would get if they had assaulted the copper....
seems to be one rule for the coppers and 100% retribution for the general public....
Generally I support the police in doing their duties,...... however, this particular one, overstepped the boundaries of his "duties" and is now lying in court, against TV film coverage, which should bring a further charge of  (I think it is ) Perjury....
And all the while..... WE the general public are paying him full pay...  Shocked
itsme
Grafter

Thought there was a thread on this forum at the time the decision was taken not to prosecute, which was July last year. Also it's the CPS and not the police that decide whether a prosecution will take place.
On 22 July 2010, Keir Starmer, director of the CPS, announced there would be no prosecution because of the medical disagreement between the three pathologists. Freddy Patel's conclusion about natural causes conflicted with the conclusions of Nathaniel Cary and Kenneth Shorrock, who found that the cause of death was internal bleeding caused by blunt force trauma to the abdomen, in association with cirrhosis of the liver. The CPS decided that the conflict made prosecution difficult because Patel was the only pathologist to have seen Tomlinson's body intact, placing him in the best position to make a judgment, which meant his evidence would have undermined that of the other two pathologists, in the view of the CPS. The CPS therefore concluded it would not be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that there was a causal link between Tomlinson's death and the alleged assault. The CPS described the disagreement between the pathologists as an irreconcilable conflict. Starmer said there was enough evidence to charge the officer with assault, but there was a six-month deadline for that, which had expired while the CPS procrastinated.[4]
itsme
Grafter

This 6 month rule does not make sense. A decision to prosecute has to be taken before an inquest has ruled it's an illegal killing.  Shocked
Community Veteran

and of course,...... the police knew of the "6 month rule"...... and probably sent the guy on "leave", whenever someone was sent to question him, so spreading the time of the investigation over the 6 month period
either way, if he gets off with just being suspended on full pay.....
IT STINKS.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Starmer said there was enough evidence to charge the officer with assault,

In which case one would presume that the police's own disciplinary action would be pretty rigorous. If not then questions WILL be asked, one would presume in Parliament as well.
Another process which I'm not sure has been invoked is a formal complaint bringing in the IPCC. Anyone know?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why is he on full pay?  He should be on half pay, not full pay.
This is so wrong and stinks from here to timbuktu and back.  Angry  Angry
Fixes: 125

I think most organisations have suspensions on full pay while an investigation is under way.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still