cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you miss the most ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What would you miss the most ?

Leaving out personal things such as family, friends, Health problems etc what would you choose to go without if you had to make a choice, ?
Equally what is the most important thing that you could not go without ?
1. Car
2. Internet Connection
3. Central Heating
4. Mobile Phone
5. Television
+ Anything else to the above list that is important to you
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: What would you miss the most ?

TV I could live without.. you can catch most of it online anyway so seems pointless to worry about it.
I couldn't live without the internet or car though. Internet being either through a landline or smartphone / dongle. Infact lets just say smartphone with a good connection lol as i could still get our network of computers online with that  Wink
A car is a must. You just can't survive these days relying on public transport.. it never runs frequently enough, never goes where you need it to... and you waste half your day either trying to make connections (that you'll miss because your service ran late) or you'll spend ages waiting (and then find out it was cancelled lol). No thanks, been there and done that. As much as i dislike cars for the dirty machines they are and the expense that goes with them, I couldn't give it up unless i was in a city with 24/7 public transport.
I've lived without central heating in many places so wouldn't miss that either. As long as there is an open fireplace I'll happily burn wood or coal.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

TV  and Central Heating.....
Hardly watch TV... and can always put on extra clothes and have a hot water bottle to get warm !.  Cheesy
Second thought..... having no tv will save £140.00    having no central heating will save about the same... ( per year).. so I will be able to have my fan heater ( aka fake wood burning stove in chimney hole )...  running much longer.....  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ok could give up any and all of those listed.
What I wouldn't want to give up....
My favourite trainers (they fit me perfectly, and took years to mould. Rescued from the charity bag and bin several times).
My favourite underpants. (What guy doesn't have them?).
My favourite hammer.(again what guy...etc).
The list goes on. Nothing intrinsic, just personal.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Internet and mobile i guess
TV - Can get it all online
Central Heating - House is well insulated, and I can't stand hot and stuffy environments, so the stat is set to 16.5° and so virtually never comes on.
Car - for personal use could easily live without, all the amenities/services we are ever likely to need are close by, we walk the kids to school and all shopping is done online etc
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@DaveyH if you can do without TV and broadband and a car how can you do your shopping on-line?
Edit: scrap that
Fixes: 47

I could do without everything in the OPs list but my family couldn't, none of whom live with me.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

Quote from: doris
My favourite underpants. (What guy doesn't have them?).
You have more than 1 pair Shocked Cheesy
Seriously I'd struggle without the car and hot water.
I could manage without central heating.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Car to get around.
Internet for entertainment.
The rest of the list I either don't have, in the process of getting rid of, or don't care about.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't have terrestrial TV reception or Mobile coverage, can live without a car, (although a tractor is handy).
Can't do without woods, trees, streams, land, chain saw, a fly-rod, tractor and attachments (chain saw and supply of own trees takes care of central heating).
If I had a choice I could easily go without…………., world hunger, world poverty, middle east conflict, Ebola, Russia/Ukrainian conflict, antibiotic resistance, air pollution, climate change, Facebook, remote controls, twitter………….and so on Roll eyes
Internet :- have a well informed SWMBO, she knows everything Cheesy
TORPC
Grafter

Wouldn't TV in the OTA  / Internet or other flavours, be classed as the same ?Huh
Community Veteran

Ah but the original list says "Television" as in the thing in the corner of your room.
JohnCT
Grafter

Getting on in age I lived a lot of my life without central heating, that I could not longer live without. Getting up in the mornings having to scrape ice off the inside of windows, having to light the fire, oh no. also there is no way my wife would live in a house without central heating- hang on maybe I could do without!! Grin
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

My Pc
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Quote from: JohnCT
Getting up in the mornings having to scrape ice off the inside of windows

Reading that reminded me of something else that I would miss. An inside toilet and fitted bath.