cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you like to use to sign on

techguy
Grafter

What would you like to use to sign on

Just logged into my Outlook Web Access at work to check whether there are any burning issues that I need to be aware of so that I can hit the ground running and a helpful bar informs me that my password is going to expire shortly and so I must change it soon.
Now our network security chaps recently changed the password policy so that it has to consist of alphanumeric and non-alphanumeric characters so now not only do I have to change my password every 90 days I have to think of one that complies with the policy that I haven't used in the last couple of years  Roll eyes and there's passwords for servers I have to log onto that don't authenticate against the domain controllers, etc.
And of course plenty of passwords for normal life stuff like banking etc and then pins for cards, it goes on and on.
Now my question is, what would you prefer to use as an authentication mechanism, fingerprint, iris scan, voice analysis?

Think I'd go down the voice analysis route as some poor guy had fingerprint recognition on his Mercedes S-Class and the thieves just cut his finger off and the movie (forget the name now) where the thieves are trying to arm a nuclear bomb but one of the auth measures is for Will smith to look at a laptop and the terrorists threaten to cut away his eyelid.
Only trouble with voice is it can be taped or synthesised.
Any other ideas?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: What would you like to use to sign on

Use the ones I did
January08
April08
January09
April09
etc.
Makes a mockery of the system doesn't it.
Eventually IT gave up and gave me an unlimited time password due to the fact that you couldn't change it except when on the company system (not through secure login from outside) so there were a number of occasions where I was  locked out due to being away for a considerable period and couldn't do anything about it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: What would you like to use to sign on

I'm never really sure why IT (or company policy) requires each individual employee to logon anyway. If the servers are properly secured etc. When working in a office, I knew (had to) the passwords of at least 6 others, in case they were called away, sick etc, as indeed they knew mine for the same reasons. Mind you, it wasn't a particularly commercially sensitive company.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.