cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do?

Fixes: 125

What would you do?

£50,000
A mother who went on a huge shopping spree after she discovered £52,000 had mistakenly been put into her bank account has defended her actions.

She also gave her mother £1,000 in cash, and put £40,000 into a savings account, before she was caught by police on April 24 last year.
Hutchings allegedly ignored repeated phone calls and visits and claimed she thought the money was an inheritance.

Not sure how she could claim she thought it was an inheritance, though.
I know I would contact my bank to ascertain where the money came from then leave it there till it can be returned. Or maybe the bank would put it in a holding account till the council could collect it? Either way it would not have been my money to spend.
I don't understand how anyone could think otherwise Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

34 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: What would you do?

I would be thinking 'if £52,000 of my money went missing, how I would feel'....not that I have £52,000.
But that's me.
Others would be thinking 'it's their tough luck' and do as she did.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors

Cheesy Cheesy Lips are sealed
[grabs coat]
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
£50,000
A mother who went on a huge shopping spree after she discovered £52,000 had mistakenly been put into her bank account has defended her actions.

She also gave her mother £1,000 in cash, and put £40,000 into a savings account, before she was caught by police on April 24 last year.
Hutchings allegedly ignored repeated phone calls and visits and claimed she thought the money was an inheritance.

Not sure how she could claim she thought it was an inheritance, though.
I know I would contact my bank to ascertain where the money came from then leave it there till it can be returned. Or maybe the bank would put it in a holding account till the council could collect it? Either way it would not have been my money to spend.
I don't understand how anyone could think otherwise Undecided

I'd go with the immortal monopoly phrase
" Bank error in your favour "
if someone puts money into your account then its yours, unless you caused that to happen through fraud ....
if someone wants to argue the legality of who's cash it is then they should take a look at the law books where it explicitly states that monies deposited into a named account belong to and are the property of the account holder (finance act 2007)
if I was in her situation I probably wouldn't of spent the money until I had ascertained where it came from and perhaps offered to pay it back once I had found out but If some jobs worth started with threats or used police resources I'd hold firm and tell them to go whistle if thye were that bothered about it they wouldn't of put it into the wrong account !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

I've always been too honest for my own good Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://www.money.co.uk/article/1005023-can-you-keep-money-accidentally-paid-into-your-bank-account.h...
Keeping any money wrongly credited to your account, could lead to you being charged with ‘Retaining wrongful credit’. The 1968 Theft act defines this as: "A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it".
It goes on to say that: "A person is guilty of an offence if:
    (a) a wrongful credit has been made to an account kept by him or in respect of which he has any right or interest;

(b) he knows or believes that the credit is wrongful; and (c) he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that the credit is cancelled."

nanotm
Pro

that applies to credit facilities i.e. overdraft or credit card limits not cash deposits
if it applied to cash deposits then it would say deposits not credits also deposits cannot be cancelled however incorrect credit (borrowing) levels can be

Oldjim beat me too it but I will add
[quote=http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/24A]A person is guilty of an offence if—
c. he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that the credit is cancelled.
A credit, in this instance, is money credited (deposited) into an account Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

I once transferred some money to someone's account having been given their account details by them.
Unfortunately the account number given had an error and the money went elsewhere.
They contacted the bank on the following Monday and were told there was nothing the bank could do.
I didn't lose out.
Community Veteran

The bank should have taken the money back as soon as the error was spotted. The woman is in the wrong and should have notified her bank immediately she noticed the error.

She claims that when she asked the cashier where the money had come from, she could not say.

That's a load of old cobblers. A bank that doesn't know where a deposit came from Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

You forgot the magic words
She claims that when she asked the cashier where the money had come from, she could not say BECAUSE OF DATA PROTECTION  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Indeed and I've heard of another woman who was finding £800 per week being deposited into her account. She reported it to the bank who would not tell her anything, reported it to the police and even the police came back to her saying they couldn't tell her where it was coming from but that they were legitimate payments. Needless to say she ended up spending it and living up the high life.
As for this case, why are the police involved? She did not steal the money, hold a gun to a cashiers head, make threats, blackmail... The money was put there by someone else. She spent it. Spending money is not a crime, stealing it is but she did not steal it.
Kent county council last year (or the year before) made a similar blunder paying thousands of pounds of expenses to another member of staff with the same name as the CEO - Paul Carter iirc. Naturally he took every penny from the bank and fled the country to china. He was even interviewed on the news and he said he was happy to pay it back but that KCC needed to make direct contact with him to arrange this. Needless to say with him being in an unknown internet cafe in china that wasn't going to happen lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

She claims that when she asked the cashier where the money had come from, she could not say.

That's a load of old cobblers. A bank that doesn't know where a deposit came from Roll eyes

If it was an anonymous donation then the bank would not know or would they ?Huh
nanotm
Pro

Oldjim beat me too it but I will add
[quote=http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/24A]A person is guilty of an offence if—
c. he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that the credit is cancelled.

A credit, in this instance, is money credited (deposited) into an account Wink

which it cant be as clearly once the money has been deposited into the account that transaction cannot be cancelled,
retention of misplaced funds in this method is strictly a civil matter and legally the council had no way of finding out who the individual was, if I was the woman in the case I would be suing the bejesus out of the council the police and the bank none of whom had the legal right to disclose to anyone else the details of the woman or the council blunder without a court order (which cannot be granted in a civil dispute) so unless she attended her local bank branch and signed a DPA waiver there all in the shit for far more cash than the council misplaced
and that's totally ignoring the morality of retaining misdirected public funds which were destined for some other purpose like housing benefit.....