cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What would you do?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have grown up all my life with guns and knives. From a very young age I was taught to respect them, and the proper care and control of them.
I look upon knives as a tool, solely as a tool.
Even though I am careful I still managed to cut myself quite badly with a knife when I was sharpening it- just a moment's inattention is all it took. My wife then said to me " Is that knife legal,I thought flick knives were illegal"
"  Flick knives are illegal, this one is a butterfly knife, and not illegal".
Last night,I decided to check online and apparently in 1998 they were made illegal, about the same time I bought it.
Obviously I need to dispose of it safely, but do I just smash it in a vice and then dispose of it on the rubbish, out contract the police and hand it in?
At least by contacting the police I know it will be disposed of safely. BUT as a bus driver, if I have the slightest report of anything illegal I could lose my crb (criminal records bureau licence,a must have for all work with the public).
I have been caring around in my briefcase along with screwdrivers,pliers, cable ties and torch. It had proved very useful on several occasions, twice when water hoses burst on the M11, with 60+ passengers on board.
I don't know if I can destroy it myself, it's like an old friend.
I'm just concerned that if I hand it in to the police they could decide to prosecute our caution me, which could lose me my job.
Bit of a dilemma, it's got to go I know Huh
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: What would you do?

Destroy it as best you can.  end of.
nanotm
Pro

is it illegal to own one in your own home in a box ?
pretty much all blades are illegal to carry but iirc there's no legal issues to what you have in your home so long as you don't take it out and about
if your absolutely set on disposal then the best option is to use an empty tin can to put the parts into, disassemble the thing, keep the nut n bolt, then place the parts into a tin can, crush the can to secure them and then put in the recycling trash (if you really want to then put the parts into separate tins and place them out on different weeks)
you could take it in to the plod but unless there running an amnesty on blades in your area there's a very high chance they will arrest you for your honesty .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The local disposal sites tend to have big waste metal bins. Now I'm not suggesting anything as I don't want to be accused of anything however if you have any scrap metal then you might want to dispose of it legally.
As nanotm says though, I thought it was just illegal to carry them in public.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Is it worth a phone call to the Police to ask their advice? You don't have to give your name and they at least will point you in the right direction.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Just don't carry the knife around in public, hide / lock it away somewhere at home.
nanotm
Pro

further to my last its not illegal to carry a tool roll that contains otherwise illegal items, plenty of workmen carry things like butterfly knives or other "illegal" locking knives as they are safer to use in toolboxes (blades covered) when the job(s) undertaken are unsuitable for other types of bladed implements, however sheathed knives are illegal under this caveat emptor .....
the bottom line is that you can carry a tool (like a gerber/letherman) in a tool box or any other kind of folding blade (under 4 inches long) so long as its in a tool box or tool roll inside a bag/case, so before you bother destroying it check out what you can have in a mechanic roll
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Guess a lot of it is to do with intent, if you have a baseball bat in your car it's not illegal unless it can be shown you intended it to be used for illegal purposes.
The same may possibly apply to knives for example I think part of the Scottish dress includes a dirk, others with knives include anglers and in a local shop that provides guns, cartridges and other stuff there is a selection of knives that I thought would be illegal but clearly they are not as the shop has traded for years in a prominent position.
Personally I would not bother about it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd read all this page: https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

I have one of these, had it for many years.
I better not go out with it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

If you go fishing / camping et al that may come in handy
Fixes: 47

Not if I get nicked for possession of and offensive weapon Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

Only if you look like a suspicious teenager to the Plod you may be nicked
I just remembered a previous thread Cheesy oops
I won't tell if you don't
However I can not stop them from reading Roll eyes
pwatson
Rising Star

The rules are here - End of Smiley
Community Veteran

After doing some tree work in my field/orchard last week  I was walking along my high street to reach home. I was carrying:

• A fueled chain saw (blade covered)

• A loaded paraffin flame gun

• A razor sharp Stafford BillHook

• Wearing a pair of steel toecap boots

... and a folding penknife in my pocket.  Should I'd have worried about being stopped by the police and them measuring my penknife blade?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.