Fixes: 4

What will we drive then ?

Diesal and Petrol cars vans to be banned by 2040

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

80 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: What will we drive then ?

Apparently this will also include hybrids https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/end-of-the-diesel-and-petrol-car-955rwfhzs

Which leaves the question - how do they propose to create the electricity generating and distribution capacity (about 90GW or 30 Hinckley Points I believe) and who is going to pay for it

Fixes: 47

No diesel powered wheel chair for me in 2040 then.

This is not going to happen.

As Jim implies the infrastructure is just not there and I would question the battery technology being available.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I wonder if they'll abolish road tax then since it is based on the most polluting cars isn't it? Although it is supposed to repair the roads.

(Yes I am being sarcastic, of course they won't).

I've seen some of the electric cars around London, and I can't say I would like to drive one. Put it this way, if you were involved in a crash with a standard vehicle, a lorry or a bus - you'd lose.

What about people taking their vehicles abroad for a hoilday, or vehicles from abroad being here? If I were to go to France for example, where would I charge my car?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have been waiting to see how long it will be before the 5yr old Diesal motor I bought will need to be sold/changed.

Is this correct ?

"The more immediate consequence from today's news is that new pollution taxes will be placed on diesel drivers using congested roads from 2020 to lower the risk to public health."

9.19am

Community Veteran

It's just a nonsense announcement with no planning as those making it know they will not be in government to see it through.

As for any pollution effect as far as I can see nothing has been proven. There is nothing factual and no scientific tests like with smoking. asbestosis, and black lung, have been done.

All we have is generalisations about atmospheric pollution. What comes out of the exhaust is only part of the story as some dirty pollutants can be relatively harmless while some harmless seeming ones can have a drastic effect.

I for one will take no notice of any anti pollution measures that come from, in my case, a council that have replaced bus pull ins with pull outs and a few other ill thought out decisions that have done nothing except increase traffic queues.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Alex wrote:

Although it is supposed to repair the roads.

(Yes I am being sarcastic, of course they won't).

No it isn't,, it goes straight into the treasury general fund.

I've seen some of the electric cars around London, and I can't say I would like to drive one. Put it this way, if you were involved in a crash with a standard vehicle, a lorry or a bus - you'd lose.

You're making a sweeping generalisation, what were they G-Wiz's?(they aren't technically cars)

The Tesla Model S was the safest car ever tested at the time,  and may well still be for all I know

What about people taking their vehicles abroad for a hoilday, or vehicles from abroad being here? If I were to go to France for example, where would I charge my car?

What about it?

There are charging networks all over the world and they're growing all the time.

A friend of our family who lives in Switzerland has a Model X and he's driven that to Scotland to visit family there on several occasions without issues

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thankfully only "New" cars so older ones will still be allowed on the road with grandfathered rights.

Lets face it, this needed to happen and I had vague recollections of saying similar in the past.

Motor manufacturers won't make the switch until they see a demand for it. The demand won't come unless the supply is there or the demand is forced.

Forcing it will create the demand the manufacturers need in order to invest and be guaranteed that it won't flop.

This is a good thing. I don't normally support big business and the way they trample all over the little people but this needs to happen. My only concern is that 22 years is a bit too far away and the damage may by then be irreversable.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Another thing - are they going to install charging points at all petrol stations?

I assume existing petrol cars, are not banned - but petrol sales will decrease, so petrol will go up as the stations won't be making enough money (no doubt the government will increase the tax by a lot by then to encourage us to change to help save the planet too, *laugh*). Then tax the charging stations at £1bn per minute for the electricity we use.

What about say petrol lawnmowers and agricultural vehicles?

Scary to think we're paying people in charge a lot in salary via our taxes and they come up with these ideas.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

billnotben wrote:

As for any pollution effect as far as I can see nothing has been proven. There is nothing factual and no scientific tests like with smoking. asbestosis, and black lung, have been done.

I suspect you don't believe man's activities are causing global warming either!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

jelv wrote:

I suspect you don't believe man's activities are causing global warming either!

The real question that remains unanswered on that is - how much of an effect is man's activities having on global warming?

I have a funny quirk in that for some reason I prefer facts to gossip and idle speculation.

Fixes: 47

If the UK manages to take a few percentage points off the global atmospheric pollution levels, does that give the US and China the opportunity to increase their respective outputs.

Just a thought.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

30FTTC06 wrote:

I have been waiting to see how long it will be before the 5yr old Diesal motor I bought will need to be sold/changed.

Is this correct ?

"The more immediate consequence from today's news is that new pollution taxes will be placed on diesel drivers using congested roads from 2020 to lower the risk to public health."

9.19am

I don't think anyone will insist that a vehicle will have to be scrapped. They will just use gentle persuasion via inflated road taxes to change your mind.

There's one simple answer to all this of course. Make all roads go downhill! That way we can coast everywhere, zero pollution, zero fuel usage, and just about as much sense as these proposals!

Where are the extra megawatts coming from? What about the lithium which is already in short supply. Where are the hydrogen mines? I shall believe it when I see it. Mind you, I'll be nearly 100 by then so chances are........

Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

If the UK manages to take a few percentage points off the global atmospheric pollution levels, does that give the US and China the opportunity to increase their respective outputs.

You mean if we all go back to riding horses while the other countries don't, will there be a miraculous patch of clean air just over the UK?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Yes but it won't half pong!