Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will Twitter do?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What will Twitter do?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13482403
The order against the US-based micro-blogging website requires Twitter to disclose the requested information within seven days - or within the appropriate time required by the law in California, where it has its headquarters.
IMO if they show and tell the userID’s of those who are tweeting they loose credibility with their users.
56 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: What will Twitter do?

twitter will do nothing.  freedom of speech is sacred in the states where twitter is based.  i don't see our law topping that of the states.
David_W
Rising Star

All this kerfaffle made me go and look at Twitter to see who the footballer was, you'll never believe it!  Naturally I won't repeat it in a public forum but it was a surprise, never woulda thought it of him.
Vip3r
Grafter

I would hope the person that created the account and tweeted the information would have known that they were likely to be sought, and so had the common sense not to use his/her real details and to use a Proxy (or Tor) in another country, so even if Twitter do release the information, its of no use to anybody.
Even if it was somebody in the UK and they put there hands up to it, can they really be prosecuted for saying something that is blocked by a super injunction if they had no way of knowing it was under a supper injunction....
I believe only people in the media were given the information and then told not to tell anybody else. So unless there is proof that they knew they were breaching the super injunction they should be ok, right?
Its a bit of an own goal by this person though, until the attack on twitter I wasn't bothers enough to go and find out, but now I (and a lot more people) know... Well done.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Frankly i see taking legal action in a UK court against a firm based in the USA as pointless. The USA thinks that only its own laws apply over the world and it probably won't enforce any of ours.
Remember Gary McKinnon? - They wanted him because he committed a crime. Not over here by our laws he didn't but we still bowed down and let them have him.
It will certainly be interesting to see how this one plays out.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Vip3r
can they really be prosecuted for saying something that is blocked by a super injunction if they had no way of knowing it was under a super injunction....

Crazy
Community Veteran

It amazes me that our High Court thinks it has any jurisdiction in the US.  I would imagine Twitter will just ignore the order.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think the reason for taking the action was to try and keep it quiet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

If I used Twitter and lived abroad I think I would wait to see their response and if it is as predicted, get stuffed, I would post away Smiley
I don't think anyone cannot know the names involved now - they're all available on various websites. Lips are sealed
Obviously anyone based in the UK will have to abide by the Order.
Community Veteran

Positive discrimination there as usual.
Well done Mr RBS man and Mr Footy man... you've made a mockery of our legal system for the entire world to laugh at.
Anyone in any other country can discuss it openly on public websites and we're all (in the UK) legally obliged to stay quiet.
I hope you're both very proud at how you're destroying our respect.
I read today on another site that the judges gave Mr RBS the order despite google's auto suggest revealing him - exactly what he'd tried to get an injunction on. Anyone care to give the odds of Mr RBS vs Google?
nadger
Rising Star

Ok, we all know who the footballer is but I find it completely wrong that her name is in the public domain and his isn't.
I hope Twitter tell him, and his lawyers, where to go  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Me too. He's made our country look pathetic - more so than Mr RBS.
He lost his right to keep his dirty secret quiet the moment he created his dirty secret. Now no doubt he's going to fight for himself because he has been 'wronged', 'hurt' etc despite everyone else around him being the real victims.
Sickening.. and to think.. footballers are treated more like heroes than our armed forces.. why?
Community Veteran

To be honest, i think Mr Footballer should be forced to take his case to the USA. He's made a mockery of our country and frankly i think he should be forced to suffer the financial consequences of taking on twitter and its legal team which will almost certainly be a loosing fight.
nadger
Rising Star

One wonders if his wife has a Twitter account  Smiley
Imogen all the Premiership Wags signing up for accounts to see who it is, if they don't already know.
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
Well done Mr RBS man and Mr Footy man... you've made a mockery of our legal system for the entire world to laugh at.
Anyone in any other country can discuss it openly on public websites and we're all (in the UK) legally obliged to stay quiet.
I read today on another site that the judges gave Mr RBS the order despite google's auto suggest revealing him - exactly what he'd tried to get an injunction on. Anyone care to state the odds of RBS vs Google?

This is no different to a similar injunction being taken out elsewhere in the world and us discussing it openly in the UK.  Only this week we've learned that the head of the IMF was protected in France whilst the rest of the world seemed to know what was going on.
Also you are wrong about RBS v Google.  Do you think RBS would have had any involvement at all?  It was an individual who worked for them taking the injunction out on his own behalf.  Anyway this one has now been made public.