cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your most embarrassing computer moment?

Community Veteran

What was your most embarrassing computer moment?

Mine was a few years back when I built my first PC. Everything went smoothly except for fitting the PSU to the case. I just couldn’t get the right number of holes to line up on the back of the case. Then I noticed my case had a plate screwed on the PSU mounting area, so I took that off. Even worse now the aperture was now nearly as big as the PSU! So I put the plate back on.
Then I rang the supplier of the case and explained the problem and how I wondered if I had the wrong plate on the back of my case; the agent said he had never heard of this but would look in to it and get back to me later.
In the mean time I decided to have another look at the problem as it was so annoying, suddenly I had a horrible realisation… I rotated the PSU by 180 degrees and all the holes lined up!
7 REPLIES
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: What was your most embarrassing computer moment?

Rebuilding an old PC in (near) total darkness. The result was a nice big blue flash followed by a worrying noise, and the realisation that not all the power connectors were in properly.
Then followed a trip to the nearest computer shop for a replacement motherboard. This was a long time ago though, so I have forgiven myself since Tongue
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My most embarrassing moment will stay with me forever.
The management of the company I worked for decided to purchase a market leading System Management Suite to improve the IT department’s inventory statistics.
It was my job to evaluate, test and deploy the product. We tested it in the captive environment of the IT department and it worked great. So after weeks of testing decided to install the reporting applet on all computers over the weekend and go live on the Monday morning.
On the Monday morning I watched in horror as one after another the PC’s used by our call centre failed with blue screens of death and stopped working. I won’t go into the why but let’s just say my name was mud and the IT staff worked overtime to get the PC’s rebuilt so staff could resume work.
Regards, P.
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
TBF This was the second PC I'd ever built.

I did that with my first one :-)  Though I did manage to install the motherboard okay, at a push, the keyboard and the mouse stopped working intermittently.
Took it in to the techies at, then, secondary school who took a look and couldn't stop laughing.
Never forgotten them since :-)
The kb and mouse ports were short circuiting on the metal of the case - amongst other things probably!
Community Veteran

My most embarrasing must be when a PC I was building kept shutting down after about 10 seconds from startup.
I tried all sorts of things such as changing the memory, Graphics card and PSU.
None of these worked so I decided it had to be a faulty CPU.
Only when I took the CPU out did I spot that it still had the protective tape over the heat conductive pad.  Embarrassed
What was happening was that in effect it had no heat sink and the CPU was shutting itself down to prevent me from frying it.  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

I worked for an IT company who had a call from a company that all their accounts had gone from their computer and they would go bust if they couldnt recover them. They agreed to pay £800 call out fee as it was an emergency..
I got there and spoke to the accountant who showed me sage he type in an account number on the number pad but no accounts came up until I lent over and turned on the numlock key.
I often wondered how they explained the bill to the MD
kimhulme

Embarrasing? You decide.  I wanted a picture of a naked man playing a pianoto use as a CD case label  for an audio CD I'd copied. Rather than go to a newsagent and ask if any magazines could furish such, I decide to take a video of myself at our baby grand while my wife was at French lessons. The resulting picture/label was OK. BUT when we were at my daughter's in Switzerland  we connected up to her TV to show some of the videoing I'd done and I'd wound back to the start of the video tape.  I was taken aback and  the others were shocked.  It was the first time we met our future son-in-law as well!!!
cp:green Errant Quote of Gods original post removed. mod:end
oliverb
Grafter

I don't know about most embarassing, but a good one was at college, we were allowed to use some computers during breaks including some Acorn Masters.  I was showing off a "Sideways ram" image that played a tune constantly. I didn't have a way to turn it off, I just figured I'd switch the computer off and reset it. It was near the end of break when a tutor walked in.
At this point I switched the computer off, and back on, only to have the tune continue. It seems the memory is retained for up to 30s after power-off and the "sideways" area is not cleared on startup.