Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was or is your employment history.

Highlighted
Rising Star

What was or is your employment history.

Hello Everyone

My first job started when I was 13 (1969) working for Wimpeys building company in Belfast, which will come up again later in my employment history on this thread.

My job title was "chain-boy" (don't think it would be call that now a days) basically my job was to work with the site engineers, pegging (stake) out the area of ground and then holding the staff (6ft wooden measuring pole extension to 12ft if needed) on top of each peg so the engineer could take a reading from his theodolite, before the foundation could be laid to start building the houses.

(Employment record to be continued.....)

Good luck

44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: What was or is your employment history.

Too much information, or in my case too many jobs.

I've gone from Bob-a-Job to finding jobs in my retirement... with washing cars for Hertz in between. Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

My first job, after leaving school at the age of 15 yrs,... was as an International Traveller and Ambassador for Great Britain, For 12 years,

I was paid by the government to go on cruises to exotic locations, around the world, and live on an Island in the middle of the indian ocean for two years.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

My first job was in the Cooper’s yard of a Brewery, it had it’s perks.......

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

My old Dad would tell us that his first job was as a barber at the local maternity hospital!                                                           

I'm sure that had it's perks as well Wink

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Champnet - I'll bet that was a barrel of laughs. Grin

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

@Champnet 

My old Dad would tell us that his first job was as a barber at the local maternity hospital!                                                           

I'm sure that had it's perks as well Wink

What perks? Oh, I suppose for a barber there were opportunities for nicking.

( with those blunt razors) eek.Crazy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

Sorry, my employment history is a bit boring - 4 years, from 13y.o. delivering newspapers, then ~6months doing my motor engineer fathers admin, then 30 years at (effectively) the same employer, working up from general clerk to senior production controller.

My final 'proper' job also involved sales and customer liason, so I think I covered quite a variety of options.

I did, however,  learn quite a few other jobs along the way because I was interested, so I got a floor crane drivers licence, slinger permit, ultrasonic tester permit, and other odd permissions.

I also helped to design and install at least three different production control and stock monitoring computer systems.

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Me very mundane.

After A levels, an extra year for additional exams and national service, 2 years in Japan and Malaya, it was 30+ years with a bank.

Finally I was  with HM Revenue.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

MI5.

As you will understand I am not allowed to provide further details.

Wink

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

My first real job was making the Dambuster Bomber! It wasn't exactly mind blowing and I recall the factory was fairly warm. Just press a button, 2 halves of the mould came together, the plastic got injected, 2 halves came apart and out came a Dambuster Lancaster bomber in kit form. They wanted me to stay there and go full time but I decided an electrical apprenticeship was the way forward. Best move ever.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted

@gleneagles- We should know each other then Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
All Star

Left school and became an assistant buyer,left to work for a friend running his warehouse and delivering good to building sites, then at same company became service engineer for small power tools, left to become a computer operator and after various moves became a systems manager. Got sacked when  a supplier sued us for £1m over a new system, so worked for myself selling and installing sky sattelite systems (sky has just started). After 8 years closed company (not making money) and became a financial advisor for a insurance company left after 3 months, then did chanel 5 tuning when they started in leeds and bishop aukland, left to work for First Direct bank for 15 years who made me redundant 1 month before I was due to retire.So retired with a nice big payout!!! So rather varied life but quite enjoyed most of it!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@MI5 wrote:

@gleneagles- We should know each other then Thumbs_Up

Ah, Yes,,.... But..... that would be telling........ Lips_are_sealed

Highlighted
Fixes: 414

Is there an M15 motorway but nobody is allowed to speak of it.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.