cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of music do you like and WHY

Fixes: 47

What type of music do you like and WHY

I'm currently watching David Gilmour at Gdansk on BBC Four, a musician I particularly enjoy.
I have often pondered why people enjoy a particular type of music.
I have noticed that generally people start out listening to most types of music with varying sense of appreciation but gradually over time feel drawn to one specific area.
I attempt to play electric guitar so am drawn to the music of masters of this instrument however what about those who play no instrument. Why do they like a particular type of music.
The question is not so much what type of music do you like but why do you like it above others.
What about you?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
50 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: What type of music do you like and WHY

Its no secret Strat I also share your appreciation of the guitar, and admire many players of many types of music, from Charlie Christian to Chet Atkins (who apparently was born with ten very long fingers on each hand) through Les Paul and many rock and pop guitarists up to the inestimable Julian Breem. I enjoy all genre of music from serious classics, grand opera to ABBA, Rolling Stones and practically anything from the 60's, about the only varieties I can't get to love are way-out modern Jazz, Rap and a lot of modern orchestral works.
I have played a number of instruments including; the oboe, viola and cornet, have been trying to find some cheap way of getting to grips with keyboards, but the instrument I would dearly love to play is a vibraphone (horrendously expensive)
However that wasn't the question you asked, so I apologise for side-tracking. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

No problem Petlew, it's all part of the mix. I have to admit it's not an easy question to put an answer to.
Personally I put it down to the company I kept as a teenager, some accomplished musicians in the gang and it was that kind of era. Wink
Community Veteran

As a matter of interest (maybe) I saw the late Chet Atkins at his last gig in this country, one very cold evening I drove down from West London to near the Bristol docks in an outside venue, so cold there was serious problems keeping the guitars in tune, and his echo unit failed for the first time in lord knows how many years. After a few attempts to get the offending machine working, he drawled "aw shucks, lets just play the gig without echo" to rapturous applause. It was awesome. I will die a happy man.   

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Now this is an interesting question... and makes me wish an aesthetics module had been available during my music degree, 'cause then I'd probably be able to give you a better answer. In general though, I think the answer is to do with the idea of language. The part of the brain that deals with musical abilities is also the part of the brain that deals with interpreting languages; this is why able musicians are often interested in and good at foreign languages. Now, just like spoken languages, different genres of music all have their own kind of grammar from which they construct languages that 'speak' to us. For example, take a dominant 7th chord. Why do you feel it needs to resolve? What is there about it that makes it 'not right'? Nothing - it's just an abstract collection of pitches arranged in a certain why. We feel it needs to resolve, however, because we have become conditioned to the musical grammar which says 'dominant 7ths need resolving'.
The thing is, different genres/periods of music are constructed using different grammars. For example, listen to Wagnerian opera for a while and you'll start to lose the sense of required resolution for those dominant 7ths because Wagner will hardly ever give you a typical resolution, instead choosing to do something else with dissonances (which, knowing him, will probably account for about 95% of the music). I therefore suspect that people's tastes for specific genres are substantially based on whether or not they've been 'conditioned' to understand the musical grammar of that genre. For example, I mostly listen to 'art' music - I'm not being pretentious by calling it that; it's just the best word to use to describe the whole lot from Tallis to Mozart to Wagner to Cage to Messiaen. Yet, to the amusement/disgust of some musician friends I've had in the past, I also like artists such as Enya and Elton John. Why? Because as a kid, I was subjected to a lot of that music by my father, which meant that it was the first musical 'grammar' I actually learned - the art music one came a lot later when I started at my very musical secondary school.
As for learning instruments, this will of course have a big effect on things, because you learn an instrument by playing music on it, with far more diligence than you'd give to just listening to that same music. Indeed, I suspect it is largely through me learning to play the violin and the piano that I've gained such an appreciation of art music, rather than it being through appreciating the music that I've been tempted to learn the instruments. (I also tried learning the flute but never got very far as I couldn't make much headway with the top octave.) Playing a musical instrument gives you first-hand experience of 'articulating' the grammar - for example, by playing a big dissonant 'crunchy' chord in a Chopin Prelude, and really 'feeling' within you what that chord is trying to say in the music, what it's trying to do, where it's trying to send you... which all leads you to becoming further conditioned in and receptive to the language of the music.
Community Veteran

Now that Be3G, was a comprehensive answer, and very well presented if I may say so.

N/A

Well, my musical 'grammar' as a child was Elvis Presley, Del Shannon, Bobby Vee etc. with a smattering of musicals like South Pacific and Carousel. I too learned to play two musical instruments - the Bflat cornet and piano. Although I wasn't particularly good at either, I used to play in a brass band and participated in many contests. I also achieved grade 6 in piano, although this was as an adult when I took the instrument up again.
I like the old pop music but I guess that my musical training has influenced me most because these days I only listen to classical music and particularly adore Baroque - must be all those Bach preludes that I had such difficulty learning!
jmd
Grafter

I like 60s pop music, some folk music and mainly though classical - preferably symphonies, but  do enjoy piano sonatas etc.  I do not play any instrements.
Fixes: 104

Great question Strat (why do I always type Start?)..
I was brought up on Paul Simon (and Art Garfunkel) so am thoroughly brain washed into liking them from a baby Smiley
Aside from that got a varied collection from Classical and Opera to Thrash Metal, basically anything where proper instruments are played.
Used to play violin and trumpet. Currently playing the guitar very badly.
Will Moderate For Thanks

I probably had the likes of Thomas in my mind when I typed the question so @Be3G thanks for that not unexpected and welcome contribution Smiley
It brings to mind for example if I play a simple A chord and then an A Minor, the latter has tingle up the spine qualities compared to the former. I don't know why specifically as I'm not a scholar of the musical arts.
I have been to a couple of 'classical' concerts and have been suitably impressed by the interactions and dynamics of the orchestra.
I've never been a fan of songs and singing, preferring the music but curiously these days I am starting to take more interest in lyrics on tracks Undecided
Mainstream 'Pop' has never really attracted me hence my liking for Pink Floyd etc.
At the end of the day this question seems to be aimed more at students of music and psychology but I like the slightly off-topic posts it's generating. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I like the "afficianado`s" that play the "middle bit" on a whining electric guitar!....   Often I cannot stand the song, but enjoy the artistry of the musician who does the "middle bit"..... sometimes if you listen carefully, you can hear him in the background all the way through, concentrate really hard, and you can eliminate the singer with the lyrics spoiling the music ! ! Cheesy Lips are sealed
Wide ranging taste.... I like some of the 1920`s jazz/jitterbug 1940`s big band sounds   Glenn Miller. Artie Shaw. Count Basie. Earl Bostik. late 50`s early 60`s Real Rock n Roll.... Shadows... (Hank Marvin number 1 ) Stones  etc.... Later on, Queen,  Brian May brilliant... not much for the present time.... Female singers Brenda Lee,   Wanda Jackson,   Sandie Shaw,  Jennifer Rush, Dusty Springfield,  Blondie (Debby Harry), Celine Dion, Francoise Hardy,. Dana Winner. (Belgian singer)  recently got to listen to Carla Bruni (French President`s wife) and fell in love again!.... Also like some classical orchestral pieces, chi kovsky (cant be bothered to spell it right) but can`t stand opera. Smiley
Edit...........  That is a fraction of what I like......... Why do I like them?    Because to me, it represents "Good Music" with rhythm and meaning.  Why don`t I like opera?  to me, it has no rhythm, and no meaning..... (well it might, but they sing in forren languages, at the top range of their voices, and it is totally unintelligible to me)  (similar to todays rap and other forms of "musical" extravaganza of noise)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I probably had the likes of Thomas in my mind when I typed the question so @Be3G thanks for that not unexpected and welcome contribution Smiley

No problem... there aren't many threads in here I can contribute properly to so I thought I might as well take the opportunity whilst I could! (And thanks Petlew too.)
It brings to mind for example if I play a simple A chord and then an A Minor, the latter has tingle up the spine qualities compared to the former. I don't know why specifically as I'm not a scholar of the musical arts.

Now major/minor chords are an excellent example along the lines of my dominant 7th one from the previous post. Not least because I have an experience to share about them which further demonstrates what I'm talking about. When I started learning the piano properly about seven years ago, my piano teacher also did a bit of aural training with me - that is, trying to get me to recognise things by ear. One of the things I had to do was listen to a chord she would play on the piano, then tell her if it was major or minor (then later, dims and augs). I sometimes had a bit of difficulty with this, so my teacher would ask me if I thought the chord was 'happy' or 'sad'. But I could never understand that - to me, a major chord could be thought of as just as 'sad' as a minor chord; happiness and sadness were nothing more than arbitrary constructs created by the 'grammatical use' of those chords over the centuries. And, I suppose because I wasn't at that point very experienced in music and its grammar, I hadn't yet learnt to associate the feeling of sadness with a minor chord and vice-versa. So the understanding of the musical language has a big effect on one's interpretation of music, and therefore, why one listens to any particular genre - for example, very few people will listen to serialist music for the fun of it (even I don't) because very few people are attuned to the 'language' in which it speaks.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G

(And thanks Petlew too.) My pleasure Be3G

Now major/minor chords are an excellent example along the lines of my dominant 7th one from the previous post.

Quite agree Strat, I love playing in a minor key, as you know its only one note flattened on the guitar, but it changes the entire feel of a piece of music, further, if you play a simple 8bar chord sequence C, Am, F, G7 I bet its the Am that carries the melody.
Dominant 7ths, Major and minor 7ths, 6ths, 9ths 11ths and 13ths Aug 7ths and many others are heavily used in Jazz.
I used to have in the back window of one of my cars a sticker that read "Keep Music Live" I've never changed that view.

techguy
Grafter

Bit of a mixed bag for me, anything with a good tune really.
This ranges from Classical (Strauss, Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi and very occasionally a bit of Wagner) through Country (Brendan Shine, Johnny Cash and Kenny Rogers), the Shadows and Dire Straits (Rock) and my absolute favourite type, trance (favourite DJ is John '00' Fleming)
craigyoung
Grafter

Oooh, great question -
I have always, from an early age, liked an 'edge' to my music in terms of tone - eg minor keys, pentatonic scales, blues and rock.
I've never had the same passion for major keys and brighter tones.  They don't seem to have thte same depth and complexity to me.  My wife however is the opposite - she would go for "Twist and Shout" while I'd go for "Paint it Black".
I think there's something hardwired in the brain and is also reflected in personalities.  My wife is a lot more generally happy and bright, whereas I am more moody and a darker sense of humour. Which is fine with me - who's ever heard of a happy go-lucky bluesman?  'Smiling Pussy Cat" doesn't have the same ring as 'Howling Wolf' does it?