cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to tell the grandchildren?

peejay
Grafter

What to tell the grandchildren?

Received the following missive the other day from PN in response to my ticket. (paraphrased)
You are in the highly unusual position of having previously being on 20cn ADSL which significantly enhanced your download speed on a very long line. Now you are on 21cn ADSL2+ your speed has been reduced drastically. Your previous line exceeded all expectations and the decrease now is significant. We can't migrate you backwards to your old ADSL and there is now no way to improve your performance. Kind regards DSL Logs.
Now what do I tell the grandchildren?
1. X-box is ex-box
2. Skype now has little scope
3. I-Player only shows Buffer the Vampire Slayer
4. Streaming is now dreaming
5. Facetime is now faeces time
6. Browsing is drowsing
7. Zip files are now opened by buttons
8. TCP is only for grazed knees
9. Monitor will only hand out milk
10. Multimedia is your favourite bedtime drink
No "tech" details as this is chit chat but suffice to say I could paper the lounge with 11 years router stats proving historic good long-line stats (i come from a long line of broadband users starting with Totalise in 2004) but I'm now on a hard wired speed of  0.8meg  with wi-fi obviously much lower. Thanks to PN for their honesty in telling me. But what can you add to the above list that I can tell my five grandchildren?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: What to tell the grandchildren?

You may be able to force ASDL2 (not'+') or even plain old ADSL(1)  on your router(modem), some do this with good effect on long lines.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 125

Re: What to tell the grandchildren?

How about:
The bottleneck is just below the screw cap
Local area connection is bus route 3A
Default gateway is closed due to maintenance
The Outlook is bleak
The driver's stuck with the wrong gear
The default programs have de faults
Device is staying up late to watch the higher-numbered Freeview channels

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still