cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with old router?

jammy1

What to do with old router?

I have just connected a new PlusNet Hub One Router so that I can now enjoy " a faster internet experience". What do I do with my old, disconnected PlusNet Wireless Router 2704N?

4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: What to do with old router?

1. Keep it as "stand by".... just in case your new router fails,..... or your friend needs a router to check against their "faulty" router.

2. Take it to the local recycling centre... where they re-cycle the electronic components and the copper.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Although it is a router you can ignore the router functions and just use it as a network switch or a wireless access point.

EG say you have a wifi blackspot in your house or you want to extend your range into the garden... Just plug in your old router into the network via an ethernet cable, give it a different IP address to your current router and turn on the wifi. It will then enable you to access you network via wifi in the same way as your other router.

The cable is a must though, those routers don't work as repeaters or wireless bridges unfortunately.

Even if you don't use it as a wireless AP, you can still use the ethernet sockets to add more devices to your network.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jammy1

Thanks for that!

jammy1

Thanks for info.