Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is wrong with some people

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: What the heck is wrong with some people

I'm thinking that with those no win no fee cases the winning fee would be quite high. Also, are they not more likely to be class action cases? 

Then there are those undertaken pro bono, but even these are not going to be 'something for nothing' cynical as that sounds.

For those of limited means even if they are themselves tenacious, the legal profession always seem to hold the high ground when it comes to process, power... and payment. 

Oh, and don't even get me started on accountants.

Another thought to get back on topic. The master of the hunt gets prosecuted for illegal fox hunting... and the court judge happens to be, err, the same person. 😲

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I could write a book about how incompetent the legal profession is but will site just 2 personal examples....

Wife got RSI through her work....union took the matter up and used a local solicitor...claim went on for years but because he failed to register it with the court the time ran out so the claim could not be heard.

Other example, paid solicitor deposit on a house...this had to be paid to the builders no later than 10 days...on final day I phoned the builders solicitor just to check it had been paid.....sorry we cannot talk to you....all I want to know has deposit been paid....answer...no.

Went to solicitors office....why have you not paid this money .....Oh don’t worry they are usually flexible.....well I am going to remain in your office while you get on the phone and transfer that money now......

Thank goodness I did that as another couple buying a similar property were unable to meet the 10 day deadline.....builder still let them buy the house but increased the price by several thousand pounds.

The above are just minor examples compared to some of the problems some family and friends have had dealing with solicitors.....any problems you have are almost certain to be made worse if you involve the legal profession.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

... When you go to Court, you never ever walk away with an excess of cash in your pocket, usually just an empty hole. 

That would depend on the circumstances, e.g. the type of court and/or claim, and possibly whether you were the Defendant or not.

I can remember at least a couple of times when I've been the Defendant and come away quids-in, although the sums received on those occasions could be counted in £100s not £1000s due to the hourly rates awarded in costs to a Litigant-in-person being nowhere near those charged by solicitors and barristers.  

It can be quite amusing when up against a barrister arguing a hopeless case and trying to bend the law to suit his argument, and the Judge having none of it!  Cool_smiley

PS  The Judgment often sometimes falls in favour of which side is the better liar, and it's amazing to hear the blatant lies told in court by barristers!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@idonno wrote:

They might lose money in the case of no win no fee (aren't those cases insurance protected anyway?) but otherwise, in some cases, win or lose you can still end up paying out some serious amounts of  money.

My legal team opened up a lovely large hole to try and bury me in. Every time i pointed this out they had zero concern at all. In the end it was a case of let them carry on digging and they'll screw themselves over nicely - which they did and then realised they'd destroyed the case and ground themselves to a halt. Consequently the hole they dug me was filled in by the other side who ironically became my saviour. I couldn't have been happier to have had my legal team off my back.

It came down to the insurance policy being taken out on a date before a legal change which then invalidated the insurance anyway thus potentially leaving me liable for every cost regardless of the outcome of the case. The other side offered a truce and they'd absorb their costs.. but my team would lose and not get paid - which i had them put in writing first.. Considering the horrendous mess they caused when they tabled that option to me I told them to accept the offer and be done with it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@gleneagles wrote:

I could write a book about how incompetent the legal profession is but will site just 2 personal examples....

Wife got RSI through her work....union took the matter up and used a local solicitor...claim went on for years but because he failed to register it with the court the time ran out so the claim could not be heard.

Other example, paid solicitor deposit on a house...this had to be paid to the builders no later than 10 days...on final day I phoned the builders solicitor just to check it had been paid.....sorry we cannot talk to you....all I want to know has deposit been paid....answer...no.

Went to solicitors office....why have you not paid this money .....Oh don’t worry they are usually flexible.....well I am going to remain in your office while you get on the phone and transfer that money now......

Thank goodness I did that as another couple buying a similar property were unable to meet the 10 day deadline.....builder still let them buy the house but increased the price by several thousand pounds.

The above are just minor examples compared to some of the problems some family and friends have had dealing with solicitors.....any problems you have are almost certain to be made worse if you involve the legal profession.

My lot were a shady bunch, also missed the deadline but sent me the papers with a vague pencil comment saying "do not date". All sorts of dodgy shenanigans from that firm... I'd never trust them again.

As for their delays in getting things done, it's not their time or money on the line so they don't worry about it. As far as they're concerned they're all gods earning silly money and so they can relax and not worry about timescales unless they're pushed.

I read recently that the richest people in the world are actually engineers. Seems to me that legal people are quite a lazy bunch considering all they really do is make up loads of documents, go to court, have a spat, convince a few people and then clear off for the rest of the day patting themselves on the back regardless of who won.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

The "Do not date" instruction usually applies when something is due to take place on a date yet to be confirmed, such as in exchanging contracts on the sale/purchase of property, i.e. your solicitor will date your contract of purchase with the date of exchange, and the vendor's solicitor will date the vendor's contract of sale with the same date once that date is known.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Capture.PNG