Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the.....! Smileys

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: What the.....! Smileys

Looking at the new smilies list, it's as extensive as the one on Twitter, with basically the same ones but just different artwork, I'll miss the "Crazy" smileys though, they work so much better at pointing out lunacy than the soft squidgy friendly things that most use these days...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There's a lot of smileys that will inflame arguments rather than defuse them.

Will plusnets swear meter blank some out?

Will the mods have to use a magnifying glass before removing posts?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Looking through them, I can see that there are a few that haven't been censored, yet, like a certain single digit hand gesture... 😂

Not to mention the combinations of smileys that, through the use of twitter, I've learned that can be turned into somewhat rude things, should be interesting to see how this pans out... 😁

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@twocvbloke 

Same thoughts there, as they are far more suggestive than those supposedly rude words that get censored here, but there you go and it could be interesting as you say lets see how it turns out.

@jab1 

Not all of them are clear (at least to me) what they mean. What about this one for example: 😣

Also and not to complain but to point out, these new ones do not seem to work on my Kindle - not that it's a problem, just saying.

@billnotben  Ditto 🙂

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 43

@Minivanman Understand what you mean now - but if you hover over them, do they not give an explanation?

As regards them not working on your Kindle, I'm not that surprised - even on my sixth edition, the browser is described as 'experimental', as it has been on previous versions - I have a suspicion Amazon are not that bothered - but if you are talking a 'Fire' tablet, ignore this comment, they should at least try to keep up.

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@RobPN wrote:

Another thing to please a certain member,

He can now use very large typeface   🙄

@jab1 wrote:

@RobPN - with small smilies.😀

@jab1 

But free to import larger ones such as this well-utilised one  LMAO.gif

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Mine is a Kindle Fire so...

Hovering over them from my laptop (Windows 10) and no explanation seen so again...

Guess it's back to using a colon and parentheses then.

🙂

Highlighted
Hero

I thought it might have been a Fire, but I've never used one so can't comment further.

Using W7 and Firefox, I DO see the 'explanation'.🙂

BTW, @Minivanman the explanation is at the bottom of the pop-up.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Well I posted in Community Site Feedback about this.

It seems a software update has been performed which hasn't gone quite to plan. I know as I work in software development so what worked on the development environment has not worked well on live.

This happens.

I assume any changes (such as a rollback) will have to be late o'clock tonight when we're all asleep as it may involve taking down the forums for a while on live.

One thing I will add, is where has the spell checker gone?

Highlighted
Hero

@Alex I hadn't noticed the spellchecker had gone, but I have a dictionary installed, and incorrect spelling is still underlined for me - all I have to do is right-click on the word concerned and correction suggestions are given.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Shame as it was quite a useful feature, hope they bring it back.

I'll just have to get used to composing a post in Word, spell checking it from there and pasting it into here. Just a bit more hassle.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Not the best at spelling but I do wonder if they are not making us all a bit dumb, made worse by some spell checkers pulling us up and giving us the American version. 

If I wanted to use the letter z instead of the letter s I'd have done so. 

You will be azzimilated!

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

AFAIK I haven't got a separate spell-chucker or dictionary installed, yet my spelling is still being checked using either IE11 or Chrome, albeit US English in Chrome.

IE11 has it's own English UK setting option, but having just had a look at Chrome it appears there is no setting for which version of English for the dictionary it uses.  Furthermore, if you uninstall the US English language in settings, the spell-checker option is also disabled.

So for any Chrome users, not to be out-done I asked Mr. Google, and he came up with this:

The option exists but it is quite well hidden and even if you find it, it can be a tad confusing. Click the Customise and Control icon (three horizontal lines in the top right corner of the window) then Settings and at the bottom click Show Advanced Settings. Under Languages select Languages and spell-checker settings. Resist the urge to choose English, under English (United States); all this does is display a bizarre message that says this language cannot be used for spell checking… Instead click the Add button at the bottom of the page then select English (United Kingdom) from the drop down menu and click OK. This takes you back to the previous window where ‘Display Google Chrome in this Language’ and ‘Use this Language for spell checking’ should appear; on some versions these options have to be manually selected. Finally, click Done, or OK then close and restart Chrome, for the change to take effect.

Note the last stage, 'Restart Chrome' ... I didn't need to do that, the setting took effect straight away.

So I'm glad I bothered to do that as I'm now not being bothered when utilizing the spellchecker by colorful Americanizations when I'm traveling around looking for Chlorinated chicken and donuts to savor.  😁

Edit:  underlining  😉

Highlighted
Hero

I've never understood why Microsoft never allowed 'Favourites'.  Also gmail allows me to set it to English (UK), but next time I visit it's reverted to English (US).

Mozilla Thundebird's spellchekcer disappeared quite a while ago, too.

When I try to type 'Your ref.' in Word at work, I get offered 'You're ref'.

Anyone tried Grammarly, I've been bombarded with adverts for it recently?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Gods help us all in the future and spell checkers having to cope with what I had in an inbox the other week when I was trying to sell a mobile phone.

"Hiya m8 hwsz it goin en wht network is it on m8"

Colloquialisms if that's what they are, are fine up to a point but that was just bog lazy garbage and no, I never replied.