Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I be looking at in terms of price for a good TV aerial install

techguy
Grafter

What should I be looking at in terms of price for a good TV aerial install

Hi
Looks like Virgin Media aren't upgrading the cable system in MK anytime soon (its ex-BT then NTL analogue system and they screen out the freeview signal it would appear)
I was just wondering how much I should be looking to pay for a good loft install (dishes are apparently ok in MK but the council take a dim view of TV aerials) to feed three sockets and will probably require an amp because the signal is quite weak and is there a trade body that holds a list of reputable installers (Yes I'm an avid watcher of House of Horrors)
Any help greatly appreciated.
38 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: What should I be looking at in terms of price for a good TV aerial install

I presume that opting for Freesat is out of budget for that number of receivers?
Community Veteran

http://www.cai.org.uk/asp/domestic_search1.asp
If signal is not strong, it is NOT a good idea to use a loft aerial, as there is quite a fair bit of signal loss as one might expect.
But the local CAI installers will be aware of all the issues and will be able to advise.
Community Veteran

Someone of your calibre would not have a problem fitting an aerial in the loft.
However if your signal is weak anyway, even with an amp probably won't get a good result with a loft aerial. I didn't so I put mine outside on the back wall and it was perfect.
But I can see Winter Hill from the back of my house!
techguy
Grafter

Thank you for the compliment and believe me I love projects but as I have cerebral palsy and am a wheelchair user a self install is not really an option for me and my parents although professional people, rely on me for knowledge of technical stuff  Smiley so you could say the brain is willing but the flesh is weak.
Personally I'd rather go down the freesat route as judging by the number of dishes round here I'm probably likely to get a better result with freesat.
I've just found that you can get the boxes with PVR so that ticks another box so really I'm just looking at bracket, monopole, dish and wiring supply and fit.
So what should i be looking at then?

Community Veteran

The big electrical stores quote about £80 for a standard Freesat dish and installation but this could be higher if you are not buying your TV from them.  I know the Comet website has some details that you might find useful.
techguy
Grafter

Thanks, planning to source my boxes from John Lewis unless its cheaper for me to purchase the install through say comet at the time I buy the boxes
I'll check it out
Thanks
Community Veteran

I'm sure John Lewis will offer installation as well and with their 'never knowingly undersold' they won't be bad on price.
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
Thank you for the compliment and believe me I love projects but as I have cerebral palsy and am a wheelchair user a self install is not really an option for me and my parents although professional people, rely on me for knowledge of technical stuff  Smiley so you could say the brain is willing but the flesh is weak.

Oops, Sorry Mitch but you never told us that bit Embarrassed
Bet you would be a good supervisor though Grin
Lurker
Grafter

John Lewis do offer advice on installation costs:
It starts at around £80 for a standard, single cable installation to one room (assuming various limits which are broad enough to encompass most 'average' houses)
http://www.johnlewis.com/Magazine/Feature.aspx?Id=73
Of course, its impossible to provide a price for everybody, but you could get in touch and see if they might give you an estimate, or even arrange for somebody to visit to do a proper quote.
techguy
Grafter

@artmo, looks like I'm going to go with comet for the first box )which does not really need PVR functionality) and 3 room install (£185 which seems reasonable) and source the PVR boxes I want from JL and do the tuning on them myself, I did enquire a while back when we were looking to replace our lounge TV with a wall mounted flatpanel and JL don't do install nor do they recommend anyone.
@Santiago, don't worry topic of conversation has never been appropriate, I'm not wheelchair bound but cant walk far or stand up for long so running up and down ladders is a big no no.
Smiley
Just going to talk it over finally with my parents this evening and then place the order.
techguy
Grafter

Thanks for all your input folks, really appreciated.
Lurker
Grafter

Mitch - John Lewis do organise the install for you- I'd at least ask them for a price before booking with Comet, at least so you have a comparison.
techguy
Grafter

HI James
As I said it was a while ago so it probably has changed so will check it out, thank you.
Lurker
Grafter

The link is a few posts back (and what they told you about the TV install remains accurate, its only Freesat that they offer installation on)
HTHs