cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your favourite apple?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What's your favourite apple?

Mrs Adair and I are developing an orchard on a piece of good agricultural land (1 acre) in Derbyshire. We're planning to plant:

The idea is to produce apples not normally found on supermarket shelves.They're not really for retail, but probably to encourage the palate of local kids when they go scrumping.
Does anyone have other recommendations (and why) for apples we should plant, excluding those generated from San Cupertino

edit:added some links
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
18 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Re: What's your favourite apple?

I like Golden Delicious apples
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mrs P is fond of Golden Delicious, but I find them a bit bland and tasteless something that I think has increased over many years as I used to quite like them, maybe something to do with over production. However my personal favourite is a good Cox's Orange Pippin, lovely sharp firm apple.
One to avoid though (admittedly a cooker) Arthur Turner. We were looking for a cooker to plant in our garden and looked forward to our first crop. It was awful without doubt the worst apple I have ever tasted, not only was it foul tasting but looked like dog-poo when cooked. It might however be the best one to plant near wherever your perspective scrumppers gain access to your orchard, they're unlikely to be back for more.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 102

MacBook Pro Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I have been trying for over 30 years to find an apple we used to 'liberate' when I was a kid.  I check markets, and stop at all the roadside tables in the countryside. The kids on my schoolbus think I am totally bonkers!
This apple was yellow, larger than a Cox,but when you ate it...heaven!  Not overjuicy,not too firm  but a taste of caramel/toffee.  Smiley
The orchard was a large, overrun, abandoned one so I suspect is a rare type. I live in hope. Smiley
I salute your efforts, and wish you well.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: dvorak
MacBook Pro Wink

That'll be the one with a dual-core processor.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I'd hate to be crabby about this but I did exclude San Cupertino based jokes Cheesy  No Malus intended.
Community Veteran

@Alaric, what altitude and aspect? is the underlying rock limestone or gritstone?
My list could include:- (but would depend on above)
Beeley Pippin
Lord Lambourne
Lord Derby  
James Grieve
Newton Wonder
Annie Elizabeth
Ribston Pippin
Court Pendu Plat
Discovery
Elison's Orange
Grandpa Buxton ( a must for Derbyshire) ...............reliable big fruit
Keswick Codlin
Community Veteran

Journey, thanks for the list: It's 500 ft above sea level, alluvial valley soil & clay over limestone on the edge of a place called Turnditch.
Community Veteran

considering the location I'd possibly add
Brownless russet and scrumptious, then prioritise along with Ribston Pippin and Newton Wonder, all disease resistant.
Brownless russet is good in wet ground, Newton wonder is frost resistant, it stores well as cooker and eater.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Midnight
I like Golden Delicious apples

+1
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

Iphone! Cheesy
Seriously, I like Granny Smith's.
Community Veteran

If you have plenty of space and can wait a few years for it to crop then the Blenheim Orange has a really good flavour and stores well for Christmas. We always look forward to those. For an early eater, Discovery.
Gabe
Community Veteran

Thanks - all added to our list of trees to consider, keep the ideas coming.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There was a recent article in the news about some chap who grafted numerous varieties on to a single apple tree, using that idea you could have virtually every type of apple available.
On a more serious note it's worth doing research on this subject before deciding what to do, for example some apples store better than others, hight of tree might be important unless you want to go climbing up ladders, type of root stock & type of soil may have a bearing on what you plant.
Hope there are no rabbits in the area as they love tree bark.
The best place for ideas is to contact others who grow apples, nowt like experience.
All the best ! Smiley