cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your Plusnet Broadband backup plan ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

What's your Plusnet Broadband backup plan ?

Mine is...
1) Plusnet Broadband working OK
2) 3G Dongle for when broadband is not accessible
( a] 500mb Free T-mobile, b] 1gb Ovivo, c] 1gb Samba x 2, d] 3/Three 1gb one month £5 SIM)
3) Smartphone 3G for when broadband is not accessible, or when I have a local power cut.
( b] 1gb Ovivo, c] 1gb Samba x 2 )
4) As 3) but using wifi from another location,  ie my local Tesco.
Or sat near another local free access wifi I have found using a local locator map, and a pre-emptive walk sussing out local wifi.
5) Watch TV, or listen to Radio !!
6) Bed, because it's always ok the next morning.

25 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: What's your Plusnet Broadband backup plan ?

1. An Open WiFi
2. BTFon/Openzone-H
3. GPRS
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Get outside and work in the garden
Read a book
Try to find my dial up modem - I bet it doesn't work in Windows 7 so also get out my old computer.
Thought - is it even remotely possible to share a dial up connection between XP and Windows 7
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

1) Have an arrangement with local business to rent desktop with wired connection.
2) If it is just Plusnet (and not BT) have an arrangement with neighbour to attach to his WiFi (and vis-versa) he is considering switching to PN as appears more reliable! and better support.
3) If it is a bandwidth issue (local exchange and distance has max of 1.5mb) and I require greater bandwidth for a specific project, I rent premises with Broadband ready installed on a short term lease.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In honesty, we don't have many PN connection problems. Generally it works rather well for us (except for P2P which I've given up on years ago before the law stuff) until there is some tinkering. We had our line renumbered a while back and all hell broke loose but since then it's been ok. Here's our connection details:
1) Plusnet
2) 3G dongle from 3 however this can't be shared on Win7HP so I can either be greedy and use it on my quiet computer OR plug it into an XP machine thats rather lound and share it using ICS. That then becomes a pain as you need to reconfigure the static IP addresses on the other machines..
3) As for 2 but with a dialup modem that hasn't been used for many years. I think the last time it was used was when we moved however the reality is that this is old tech and I'd be surprised if many ISPs even support it now. It's still plugged into the AMR slot just in case but in reality I don't think it will be used any time soon.
It really must be said, the 3G dongle is superior for the internet and in all the gadgets I've purchased in the last 10 or so years, I'd have to say it ranks up at #1 with the netbook at #2 because its so convenient to use. Despite only being a 3MB max connection I frequently used to see download speeds exceeding 600Kbps that could not be matched by our PN connection (the same file would come down at 3-500Kbps). Incredible bit of kit really. My only gripe with it is that they can't make it smaller like some of the bluetooth dongles that only stick out 4-5mm from the computer.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

I have all my USB ports fitted with a short extension lead, being an iMac they are all round the back, so I am quite happy with my dongle resting to the side of the iMac, where I can see the 2G / 3G leds.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

1,5 & 6 would be my first 3 options but if it was anything urgent borrow shmbo's laptop and go the nearest library and use their free Wi-Fi.
Infinity
Pro

I've added one
7) Use the home or mobile telephone to make calls to find information !!
Fixes: 125

Over the years I've rarely had outages that last more than a few hours.
During these times watching TV, reading or getting out on the bikes with SWMBO are the main options.
If I'm desperate for internet then I could browse using the mobile network on my Sensation.
Last option I would go for is plugging my Vodaphone dongle. It was topped up with around £15 of credit about 2 years ago and still has about £14 left. But it's an expensive option except in the very short term.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro

I find when using my dongle, for an hour or two, whilst BB is down, and not downloading anything, but opening email, RSS and most of my normal websites, I rarely use more than 20mb.
Speed down from 19mb/s PN BB to 3mb/s 3G or 300kb/s 2G see to that.
Fixes: 125

I suppose I get a bit paranoid about updates, etc. using the bandwidth.
At least with the HTC I don't have that concern and simply browse.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

CX
Grafter

I have a PAYG Three 3G dongle. I had hoped to get it up and running through my Draytek router, but it doesn't seem to be connecting (even though it's on the Draytek compatibility list). I'm not sure the failover would actually work though, since the Draytek appears to maintain the PPP connection even through ADSL resyncs (I'm using a separate modem at the moment) - for a brief outage I'm sure the modem will have resynced by the time the router realised a connection attempt timed out.
Maybe that's not too bad though, since the 1GB/month could quickly disappear if it's accessible across the network with various PCs updating themselves.
Failing that, I have an O2 PAYG SIM in an Android phone, which I can tether to a PC. The Three dongle gets a better speed though.
St3
All Star

bake a cake
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
kdoug007
Grafter

investigate  the bangs  in my  house at  midnight , having  read that psychic post Crazy
prichardson
Grafter

Hop on a tram and go into the office, because I'm desperate like that Cheesy