cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your Carbon Footprint?

Ianwild
Grafter

What's your Carbon Footprint?

As part of my role here, I've taken responsibility for coordinating efforts at PlusNet to reduce the impact that the business and it's employees have on the Environment. This is something that many staff feel strongly about, and we have made good steps in recent years, although there is plenty more we feel we should be doing. That can be the subject of another post however!
BT have in fact done a fair bit of work on climate change within their organisation, and have developed an interesting website at: http://www.btplc.com/ClimateChange/. I especially like their Carbon Calculator and thought it would be interesting to share my carbon footprint:
[tt]home    2.9544
air 1.2100
road 2.1000
rail 0.1040
Total (Tonnes): 6.3685
[/tt]
I was interested in finding out what yours is?
Ian
PS: I'm always contactable by email (iwild@plus.net) or Private Message if anyone would like to make any suggestions on how we could work to make our business greener.
26 REPLIES
Dusty
Grafter

Re: What's your Carbon Footprint?

Did this over at my forums too a month or so back
http://www.dustysworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=7958&start=0
Mine  was
CO2 emitted from your home is 2.13 tones per year. for 3 of us
CO2 emitted from your appliances is 1.16 tones per year. for 3 of us
CO2 emitted from your home is 2.13 tones per year. for 3 of us
CO2 emitted from your travel is 3.25 tones per year. for 3 of us
My CO2 for the year is 6.53, average is 10.22
Target is 5.23
Dusty
Grafter

I think you did the same one as me. The results i doped are the ones posted from my site .
Mand
Grafter

I did the pretty one here: http://actonco2.direct.gov.uk/index.html
And the results are in:
Home: 4.57 (for 3 of us)
Appliances: 1.04
Travel: 0 (due to not owning a car or flying anywhere)
Not too bad but can be improved (and will be), my other half works for the Environment Agency so I get my ear bent about 'green' issues all the time. Smiley
Dusty
Grafter

Yep that's the same one as the one i did . What let me down is the travel . I do my bit regarding domestic waste, i recycle everything and only have one bag of domestic waste a week, and that's not always full
Neil_A
Grafter

Oh dear, I came out with 11.3 tons! The home and air travel were the worst offenders for me. Time to go and buy some new lightbulbs...
James
Grafter

I think my Dad's would be shocking.  He spends about 15-25 weeks a year outside of the country on 1-2 week trips.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I think I win
Total (Tonnes): 11.9422
Better get some plane trips booked Smiley
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

4.66 tonnes per year, not bad  Cool
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Liam
Grafter

Hmmm.
13.32 tonnes per year.  The vast majority being on the travel (driving to/from Devon weekly) with a few flights a year.
James
Grafter

Mine was 3.1
\o/
Dusty
Grafter

As an employee it would be the companies carbon footprint and not mine .
Dusty
Grafter

Yes i agree with what your saying to a degree, but its the company who takes responsibility for its own carbon footprint. We can help them as responsible adults to minimize it for them.
James
Grafter

The only electrical devices I use at work are my laptop and monitor.  Both get switched off when I go home.
Neil_A
Grafter

But what happens to the power adapters at the back of the monitor and the laptop? Do you switch them off at the mains-socket? I doubt it. I know I don't!  Smiley
At home I always try and remember to unplug my phone charger, but that's easy because it's by the bed and readily accessable.
It's just not practical to switch off mains sockets for all the adapters in the house. I'm sure I read of one office that had some way of switching off the mains ring at night to ensure that all the power adapters for the PCs, monitors etc didn't still trickle power through.