cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the risk of pressing 1 on my telephone?

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

What's the risk of pressing 1 on my telephone?

I'm getting calls with an automated voice saying "This is your internet provided, and we have to replace your line and router - press 1 to find out more".

Clearly it's not Plusnet, but what am I (or could I allow) if I press 1? 

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
36 REPLIES 36
Community Veteran
Fixes: 23

Re: What's the risk of pressing 1 on my telephone?

That`s a novel idea ! ! !....

obviously an attempt at a phishing scam....

leave well alone... 

RobPN
Champion
Fixes: 4

No harm will come unless you're daft enough to carry out their instructions following pressing '1', that's if you can understand their often poor pronunciation and understanding of English, they often appear to have strong Indian sub-continent accents and claim to have proper English sounding names such as Jack, Richard, Peter etc..

Occasionally if I've time to waste I'll answer those nuisance calls and press '1' as instructed with the intention of leading them on for a laugh or just giving them some abuse.  It's sometimes fun if you manage to lead them off their script and get them onto a completely different subject, that's if they're not confused by something different.  They often end up hanging up on me, and it's not unusual for them to swear at me when I've wasted their time before doing so.  Wink

jab1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

I kind of agree with @RobPN on this, BUT my advice FWIW is this: If the number is one you don't recognise, or it looks 'dodgy' - and the fake calls often do - ignore it. If the caller IS genuine and really neds to contact you, they should leave a message giving you some idea of the reason for the call.

The above comments assume of course that you have caller display and either 1571 or an answering facility enabled on your phone.

John
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@shutter  that is what I do, but is there any risk in pressing 1, can pressing 1 give any control over?

@RobPN  it's a recorded message and quite good English, although "router" is American pronunciation, so I think the voice is computer generated.

@jab1 it's a VOIP call!

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Maybe there is nothing to sell and that all you would be doing is validating a genuine number that is then stored for future use. Not unlike turning the key to a Pandoras box.

Just store the number for future automatic blocking?

jab1
Aspiring Hero

@Leapy wrote:

@jab1 it's a VOIP call!

Are you saying you have VoIP, or that the call is of that type? If the second option, how can you tell?

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 23

@Leapy   At the very least.... you will probably be "selected" and "sold on"... as a prospective mug.

Or...

By pressing 1 on the pad... it initiates a "reverse charge" call to a 0900 number, or other premium rate line, that does not require any further input from you, and the "recorded message" is just a "bluff" or "smoke screen" to mask the fact that you are now paying a scrumptious amount from your phone bill to the premium rate line holder... Shocked

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@jab1  The call is (I think) from a VOIP as there is a slight delay at the start and no caller display info.

jab1
Aspiring Hero

That delay is typical of a recorded message, and the lack of caller ID is because the originating has withheld their number and is not savvy enough to create a false number.

A lack of ID would be a sure sign to me to not even bother picking up the phone.

EDIT to add - the chances are that it is a VoIP call, but there is no way you can know that.

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Whatever happened to those end of the line predictions of just a few years back, yet here we are still shelling out for a land line with the ISP providers saying in effect thanks very much for paying for one many of us really don't need? Even my VoIP line is rarely used except for those incredibly cheap overseas calls and at least nine out of ten incoming are to our mobile's - well mine are anyway.

As for those unwanted calls, our smart BT phone blocks virtually all of them, and along with being hard put to recall  our land line number now when asked, I cannot remember the last time I had some Muppet from Mumbai or wherever on the other end.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman  Maybe I need to invest in one Smiley  Can you share the model you have that works so well Wink

idonno
Pro

@Minivanman  I tend to use the mobile 100%. I've got a landline phone but never use it (sort of a back up really) not even plugged in. My mobile places calls all over the globe, mostly totally free of charge (via Viber). I can't even remember the last time we paid for a call. The same calls made on the landline would cost absolute fortune. We don't go there.

One thing I don't answer are number withheld calls. If they can't be bothered to identify themselves, I can't be bothered to answer. Indeed, it would be nice to block such calls. Maybe the latest models have that feature?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran

My guess is that it could connect you to a premium rate number. Ignore it.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Leapy 

BT 8500 Call Guardian, later models out now of course as we've had ours for at least five years. Thumbs Up