cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the risk of pressing 1 on my telephone?

Highlighted
Leapy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: What's the risk of pressing 1 on my telephone?

UPDATE (and follow on question)

I got my BT 8610 set (with call blocking) and added friends and family to display and allow a path straight through and that works well :-)

Got a call today from an unknown number and it did one ring.  I presume they got the message to state who is calling and it did not follow it through or it was a spam call?

The unknown number is 0203065676

I used google to see if I could find any listing for 0203065676 and using Reverse Phone Lookup UK https://uk-telephonedirectory.com/0203065-nextec-uk-limited.html and https://uk-telephonedirectory.com/020306-gamma-telecom-holdings-ltd.html it looks (to me) like spam that should be blocked?

Before I block 0203065676, is my way of research a sound and logical, way to block unknown numbers? 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I don't usually block unknown numbers, I only block those I actually know are nuisance calls. If they cannot be 'arsenal' enough to leave a message, then just leave it at that? 

I'd not worry about an unknown number m'self. 

Hope the phone works OK for you. Thumbs Up  

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

If you've copied the number correctly, it's a fake; (020) is London and the eight-digit numbers start with 3, 7, or 8.  The one you give is one digit short.  Apart from the missing digit it looks very similar to the number BT allocated me for my Broadband Talk (IP) line when I first got BB with them in 2007.  I don't think BB Talk exists any longer so there are probably a lot of unallocated number similar to that one which scammers can use without risking complaints to BT being generated by customers trying to return the missed call and annoying some unsuspecting BT customer.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@Jonpe  Thank you for the information.  Thumbs Up I was very thorough and diligent in recording the number as I also thought it was a UK based company, which would have been transparent and linked on Google :-) 

So one down and the analytics and algorithm in place to deal with the rest Knuppel

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Got one of these calls this morning at about 8am. A woman with an American accent informed me that my internet line had been compromised and 1 should press one to speak to someone about it  - about 10 milliseconds after I heard press 1 the phone was back in its holder - no need for any fancy algorithms or electronic aids - when I get an unsolicited call my 'scam' instinct is on full alert within micro-seconds, if it is a real person on the other end rather than an obviously recorded message I will often string them along - and when you tell them to [-Censored-] off at the end and they sometimes swear at you for wasting their time - you just say 'well while you have been talking to me you haven't been bothering anyone else' .......

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@wotsup wrote:

- about 10 milliseconds after I heard press 1 the phone was back in its holder - no need for any fancy algorithms or electronic aids - when I get an unsolicited call my 'scam' instinct is on full alert within micro-seconds, if it is a real person on the other end rather than an obviously recorded message I will often string them along

Pressing '1' would have got you a real person, if you can call a trained parrot a person.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@wotsup wrote:

Got one of these calls this morning at about 8am.

I wonder how many of these calls are a carryover from BT moving its call centres back to UK from Asia?

Scenario:  BT closes a call centre, making hundreds redundant.  An enterprising ex-employee decides to re-invent his job and opens his own call centre, possibly in the same premises.