cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the risk of pressing 1 on my telephone?

TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: What's the risk of pressing 1 on my telephone?

@Leapy @Minivanman  Have the same BT phone. Works very well. Blocks all automatic calls and if a unkown number caller has to announce name before phone rings if they dont doesnt put the call thro. Not expensive and well worth the money.SmileySmiley

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Always very suspicious of unsolicited calls - puts my 'scam radar' into high alert. I certainly would not be pressing any buttons.  Normally you can tell if a call is from a call centre because if you do answer there is a delay between you answering and the person on the other end responding, they often have multiple calls dialing at same time and it takes them a while to realise or respond to one being answered, rather like a fisherman with a couple of float in the water trying to watch both.

Your call is obviously an automated one so the scammers are going to the next level and saving money on call centre staff while still being able to authenticate that your number is live and attended....

Do not press any numbers on an unsolicited call - only if you initiated the call to a known and trusted bank / company / shop etc.  A lot of these scammers rely on the fact that humans are inquisitive creatures - and it seems to work,  I am inquisitive but have a strong cynical streak.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Leapy wrote:

@RobPN  it's a recorded message and quite good English, although "router" is American pronunciation, so I think the voice is computer generated.

@Leapy 

Yes the recorded message on that particular genre of scam calls is an 'easy' to understand voice with a broad American twang, but press '1' and you'll get one of the Mumbai muppets referred to earlier in this thread.

It's clear from the intro to anyone with a bit of nous that it's a scam, it's aimed at UK mugs but one of the obvious mistakes the caller makes is calling the piece of equipment that handles your internet connection a 'rowter' - i.e. wrong (American)pronunciation of 'router'.

Highlighted
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman @TTman  Thanks for your recommendations.

I'm getting the BT 8610 and hope it works as well for me as it does for you guys Grin

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

What happens to calls from abroad when you block all unidentified calls?  If someone calls me from abroad on their landline or mobile, 1471 simply says "We do not have the caller's number to return the call".  Oddly, when someone calls me from the UK on their foreign mobile, I get their number (incl. their country code) when I dial 1471.

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@Jonpe  Cant remember off hand but do know that you can allow known international numbers as I have done that. If you look on the internet for the phone you want you can bring up the operating manual and that will tell you what you need to set up.SmileySmiley

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Jonpe 

BTs caller ID system p's me off somewhat.  Occasionally calls from the same few Australian numbers to our BT landline present their CID satisfactorily but most times it's presented as 'Unavailable'.  However, if international numbers call my VoIP 'lines' the CID gets through OK.

This prevents me from blocking 'Unavailable' numbers to the BT landline using their 'BT Call Protect' service.  However there are still too many legitimate callers, e.g. NHS, councils etc., who still call / call back with anonymous numbers, a practice which I think should be banned because you'll miss those (sometimes important) calls if you block 'Unavailable'.  Seems we can't win.  Sad

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@RobPN wrote:

.  However there are still too many legitimate callers, e.g. NHS, councils etc., who still call / call back with anonymous numbers, a practice which I think should be banned because you'll miss those (sometimes important) calls if you block 'Unavailable'.  Seems we can't win.  Sad

If I remember correctly, these organisations cite the DPA, but sometimes I think it is just a 'get-out' option. Surely it is not beyond the ability of these organisations to have a 'known' number for public display, and for them to at least leave a bald message such as 'XX city council called today, we will call back later'.

I know my medical practice used to use the withheld number option up to the middle of last year, but they now display it - although if they use the fax line, it is difficult to return a call to that number.Smiley

John
198kHz
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 15

@shutter wrote:

By pressing 1 on the pad... it initiates a "reverse charge" call to a 0900 number, or other premium rate line...

@artmo wrote:

My guess is that it could connect you to a premium rate number.

Is that urban myth still around? Roll eyesShocked

It was once propagated by the tabloids, and even some police forces, but it just aint so!

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

@198kHz Urban myth ?  or not ?  I still would not press 1 or any other button on the phone from that kind of call....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

So, what does pressing 1 in response do. It must do something. Smiley

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@shutter wrote:

@198kHz Urban myth ?  or not ?  I still would not press 1 or any other button on the phone from that kind of call....

I wouldn't even answer the call.Smiley

John
RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

So, what does pressing 1 in response do. It must do something. Smiley

In this case it puts you in line for a conversation with the next available script-monkey, who'll feed you a load of spiel about your computer / internet connection being compromised, but s/he'll kindly fix it for you.  When s/he thinks they've convinced you, you'll probably be instructed to go to a site and download some third party remote desktop type software which will enable them to access your computer, and then you really will be compromised!

If you want to have fun with them you obviously don't go as far as giving / confirming any personal information, visiting any sites or installing software during the process.  If after you've given them a good run-around and s/he manages to get as far as asking you to do so, just make your excuses, like "gotta go my tea's ready", or just tell them to **** off and get a proper job and hang up, but often it's them that does the swearing and ending of the call!

Edit: typo

198kHz
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 15

@shutter wrote:

Of course, neither would I - it would lead to the scenario described by @RobPN  in Message#28

I'm just pointing out that if one did, there's no need to panic or fret about premium rate charges. The phone system works in such a way that no amount of button pressing on an incoming call can incur any charges.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

What's the risk of pressing 1 on my telephone? 

Severe RSI, if you keep at it, but don't worry. You won't go blind!Funny                                                                                                                                          

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.