cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What's the point......

... of people on here constantly posting repeats of readily available news stories? It gets a bit tiresome after a while!
52 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: What's the point......

To some extent I agree with you unless they also go on to express a rational opinion of the article in question.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Wouldn't this forum be boring if there was nothing to talk about?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

To some extent I agree with you unless they also go on to express a rational opinion of the article in question.

They never do though do they.
Wouldn't this forum be boring if there was nothing to talk about?

Wouldn't it be boring? Grin. That's my point, they aren't making any meaningful contribution to the general chat, just reposting blablabla.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nozzer

Wouldn't it be boring? Grin. That's my point, they aren't making any meaningful contribution to the general chat, just reposting blablabla.

+1.....  hence my thread on "flooding"... and another one on "newsfeeds"......
Seems to me to be an absolute waste of space, and the only reason I can think of that people resort to this on this part of the forum, is because they have nothing interesting to say on a personal level.... and resort to quoting newsfeeds as a way of gaining some "status" or "popularity" ..... unfortunately, the reverse is happening....
Boring?  without these threads? nope.... more like Boring with them..... as I mentioned... in my thread  ( I think ) if people want the news they can set up their own newsfeeds, to "foist" these threads, as if doing us all a favour, is, in fact, doing the opposite. 
Boring? without these threads?  think back.... to the time before this started.... certainly hasn`t been boring for the past 6 or 7 years, that I have been here.......
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Boring? without these threads?   think back.... to the time before this started.... certainly hasn`t been boring for the past 6 or 7 years, that I have been here.......

Thats just it, there HAVE been many times when this board would go quiet, you just don't remember them.
Community Veteran

I agree with  Nozzer and Shutter. Nothing wrong in posting a link if it's to back up comments that have been made. To simply post link after link is boring and insulting to other posters. We can , and do, go to the websites of our favourite publications and read what interests us without having to read them on the forum.
Community Veteran

I'm all for the obscure news snippets.
But not for the headline see anywhere news.
Community Veteran

I can remember  times when it was boring - shutter and 'sprite' were in exile (at different times), Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ journeys....  Me?    Embarrassed    in exile?  Shocked Whatever next  Cheesy
Razer
Grafter

Not that I frequent this forum much, but when I do I'd much rather see news articles posted than post after post of puns in other threads that immediately renders those threads boring (utterly destroyed), but then, I've had that discussion before ...
That said: I don't watch television and I don't read newspapers. Neither do I generally view news websites - so when it comes to the world I am largely in the dark (and happy to be so - ignorance is bliss, and all that). As such I often find it very annoying to see a news item posted here, and even more annoyed with certain links to certain newspaper's sites (but that's another gripe).
Anyway, what can you say? One man's meat ...
Community Veteran

Ok so let me see if i can try to get my head around this...
Watching the news and discussing the news stories with your families is normal.
Discussing the news on the forum... is not very welcome.
In that case, the MH370 thread (which I've rarely commented in) needs to be locked. Simplez.
I would like to point out to shutter though that you find other peoples discussions of things boring yet you do frequently harp on about the navy and yet you've not been in it for decades! Do we ever moan about that? No! Because we accept you for it.
Why do you (and others) find it hard to accept other peoples qualities? - again it's the younger generations views that do not matter  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There is a big difference between posting a news item that has some interest to it, but one user posts every single news headline daily.  For my self my forum routine is hit replies to my threads and then unread posts.  Then I have scan the author of the thread just to then bother looking at the title to see if its worth bothering with.  If its the said poster then no I won't bother, but some days all you see is that one poster.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

Why do you (and others) find it hard to accept other peoples qualities? - again it's the younger generations views that do not matter  Roll eyes

You seem to have a phobia about age, why?  Whilst I can possibly guess a poster's age from something they've said it really doesn't make much difference to me.  It's the content of the post that's important surely. It's good to have a wide age mix to see a point from a variety of angles.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Here we go again.... this thread is about as exciting as this......