cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the most expensive gas?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What's the most expensive gas?

We just taken on a cottage in Derbyshire. While it's being renovated we're keeping the heating running to prevent the pipes freezing.  We continued the existing power Utility arrangements but we rather shocked to discover E-on are charging us 12.85 pence per kW (plus a standing charge) for gas. That is 230% over their advertised rate. needless to say they'll be having some uncomfortable discussions with us during the next week.
What are other people paying?

Edit: PN are installing (copper based) the Broadband/phone to the premises, the installation process going smoothly, but the pace is a bit slow thanks to Openreach. Soon the plasterers/sparkies can have Wifi for their iPhones.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
12 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: What's the most expensive gas?

With Scottish Power, monthly figures are
First 227kWh 7.518p per kWh
After that it's 3.343p per kWh
pwatson
Rising Star

Silly question, but definitely 12.85p/kwh for Gas?  That seems to be a figure generally mention for Electricity?
Community Veteran

They appear to want to charge the same rate for gas/electricity. I'll be interested to hear their explanation.  The cottage was a probate sale.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Should be able to go to a comparison site and see what the others would charge you.... dig out old bills and work out your annual usage ( quantity of therms etc ) and enter in the appropriate boxes..... wiht the "new" order from OFGEM the prices should be more transparent... and you should be able to switch quicker...
if you have just moved into the cottage, you will have to keep your current supplier  for about 4 weeks before the changeover is effective... unless that has also been changed by OFGEM.
CX
Grafter

Caviar Vindaloo.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: itsme
With Scottish Power, monthly figures are
First 227kWh 7.518p per kWh
After that it's 3.343p per kWh

I thought that multi-tier tariffs were now banned and only standing charge + a single unit price were allowed for each tariff.
"From 31 December 2013 the number and complexity of tariffs will be reduced. This will make comparing tariffs easier and less time consuming. Once you have decided on meter type and how you want to pay, you will face no more than four different core tariff offers for electricity, and four for gas. Complex tiered tariffs will be banned, so all tariffs will be simpler. In addition, the discounts suppliers apply to energy tariffs will be simplified."
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/simpler-clearer-fairer/what-and-when
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Fixes: 47

Quote from: pwatson
Silly question, but definitely 12.85p/kwh for Gas?  That seems to be a figure generally mention for Electricity?

Gas units are converted to Kwh for comparison and billing purposes. The variable formula is usually printed on the bill somewhere.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: alanf

I thought that multi-tier tariffs were now banned and only standing charge + a single unit price were allowed for each tariff.

I hope not as for 3 months of the year I do not use gas and therefore do not wish to pay a standing charge. This only 4 tariffs is misleading as  Eon charge different standing charges depending on method of paying so the 4 change into 8 or even 12. They charge approximately 21p per day if you are on a fixed monthly debit and 32p per day if on a variable direct debit. So Ofgem/government going to cost me an extra £18 per year, thanks. I'm on a fixed tariff until March.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you are East Midlands then Co-op is 4.16p/Kwh + £104.50 per annum service charge. If you are a member of  The Midcounties Co-operative you get a share of the profits (including an extra point each time you submit a meter reading).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Most expensive gas... Diesel currently around £1.40-£1.50 pl followed by unleaded at around £1.35 pl Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I had a "little chat"  Roll eyes with E.ON this morning and we agreed 12.85p per kWh for gas was a bit excessive.  I'm now paying 4.211p per kWh and they are refunding in full the difference from when the contract started in November.
At present there's no roof insulation in the cottage (another long story) so the gas consumption is higher than it should be in normal circumstances. This will be fixed by the contractors shortly. If I'd left the E.ON situation unchallenged I'd be something like £900 worse off at the end of the year.
When I queried how is was possible they could get the charging so wrong they became a little evasive, but they did admit there were a "few" other cases where the high tariff was being charged. It could be that people less aware than us are being charged these outrageous prices. While this particular case is now closed, I have raised the principle of wrong charging directly with senior management within E.ON. If there are developments I'll update people.
Meanwhile be on your guard for the less able and their energy bills.