Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best deal.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

What's the best deal.

After two years, Mrs Minivanman thinks it's time to change her mobile for a new one, so what's the best deal out there?

At the moment she's paying about £10 a month, looking to perhaps pay £15, but one of our daughters has a new Samsung for £20 a month. Mainly used for keeping in touch with the kids......but don't mention her addiction to Candy Crush!

Mine is just a PAYG one that's kept in the car, never caught on to 'must have' a mobile m'self. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
8 REPLIES
RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: What's the best deal.

IMO the way to decide is to look at total cost of ownership (including usage costs) over the period any contract will run for compared to the options below.

If SWMBO is not a heavy user it may well be cheaper to go for PAYG.

It's often (usually?) cheaper to buy a handset outright and add your own SIM (either PAYG or PAYG monthly).

There's no way I would buy a phone by spreading the cost over one of those extortionate contracts, which try to make it look as if you're getting a cheap deal.  I suspect many people are sucked into them by the massive amount of included 'SMS and Minutes' on offer and who don't need anything like what's on offer.

I paid for mine outright and just added my Three 3-2-1 SIM from my really old Three phone (had to get Three to supply a nano SIM though).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

As mentioned by @RobPN have a piece of paper, and work out how many phone calls and texts is actually used "per month"   and get a rough "costing" of that usage... multiply by  12  and you will know how MUCH you are paying for a phone that you have got.... just to keep up with the rest of the world... ( i.e. "the Jones`s"..).. 

PAYG is a very good option ... as you would not carry around a red phone box all day and night... just to "keep in touch".. ! ! !.. it is an easy thing to "top up" as and when needed.. and you know you have not got that outgoing of  £15 per month... ( £180 per annum ) ... .. I expect she doesn`t actually use the internet "that" much to warrant having that,  but it is (can be) useful at times.

Go to a "Carphone Warehouse" phone shop.. ( or similar  ) and see if they have an offer on a "cheapy"  my last "upgrade" cost me £2.50.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Virtual network mobile operators are usually always cheaper. Take a look at Tesco mobile @Minivanman. I was with them for  few years and and you even get clubcard points each month when you pay your monthly bill.

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I like O2 my calls and text  are unlimited  with 1 gig data , for £13 a month Thumbs Up

the handset is a seperate charge if you want to take one , i just upgraded to a OnePlus T Cool  phone is £17.50 month

but its your choice a Samsung S3 is only £5 a month

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

One of the reasons for changing the Mrs tells me is wanting to use Messenger without having to be part of Facebook - which she has now ditched. Apparently her present mobile does not allow her to download a stand--alone app which would allow her to continue using it, but a new phone would. 

I hope my chain is not being pulled just to get a smart new phone. Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Minivanman dunno about "messenger".... Never used it... ( always send my messages in Morse over the internet ! !  )  ! !  ( or a runner with a cleft stick )        does it work on both  Android, and WIndows phones ?   

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

On Android definitely, but being cut from Windows I believe.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

yes i believe it will run on either phone as a separate App , without FB.

But it uses the phone number as a identifier

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .