cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's that ship?

Community Veteran

What's that ship?

While looking http://maps.live.com/ I noticed a strange shape ship in Portsmouth Naval Base. I am sure I saw it when it was there but can't for the life of me remember the details. Just wondered if any ship buffs now which ship it is and from which navy?
Thanks
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: What's that ship?

Looks like she is not in commission yet, i.e. is still being fitted out/trialled, as she has no flags flying, unless of course the photo was taken before or after sunset.
Community Veteran

Going by the images of the Isle of Wight the photo was taken  spring / summer 2005.
Community Veteran

Whilst out this afternoon, I thought about my post, and the lack of "bunting".
If the photograph was taken before "colours"  0800 gmt  or after sunset (proper time) then no Jack or Ensign would be flying  at the stem or stern. However the commissioning pennant remains at the masthead 24/7 whilst the ship is in commission.
This photograph seems to have been taken during the "normal working hours" so presume it is not a commissioned ship of the Royal Navy.... foreign navies usually observe the same ceremonial.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm no naval expert...but the photo looks just a little contrived to my untrained eye, I suppose it is real? and if it is, what a curious shaped vessel, there does seem to be some kind of feint obscure marking on the "blunt" end. The weather conditions when it was "taken" must have been nigh on perfect!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Whether it as been contrived I can not say, but the ship does feature in the satellite imaginary for Portsmouth Naval Base. It is the shape of the vessel that caught my eye and I think it was in Portsmouth for the Trafalgar Fleet Review, but I can't remember the details of the ship, hence my query here.
Community Veteran

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/trimaran/
It's the Triton Trimaran, an experimental ship from QinetiQ
B.
Community Veteran

Oh well done Barry, can sleep soundly tonight now.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thanks Barry, I can go to bed now with one more puzzle solved Cheesy.
Community Veteran

Well Done Barry..... That was a very interesting page to read..... Wonder if they will ever build a (some) full size vessels.
I notice the Army is doing a moan about the money put by for the two new aircraft carriers, but they would be screaming their heads off in a few years time, saying "why hasn`t the Navy got any aircraft carriers to get us some air strike capability, or transport them to and from the "active" zones.
Our Navy is seriously depleted because the land army has been gobbling up the defence budget.  No I don`t think the Army is a second class service, but we need all the services to work together, not be  individuals grabbing the largest slice of the cake.
Community Veteran

I don't think any of the services are being particularly well served by this government or the MOD, far too much empire building and feather bedding going on to care two hoots about those at the sharp end. And too much trying to fight an 18th century war in Afghanistan with 21st century methods against a foe that if they really put their minds to it could run rings round us, in the same way they did against millions of Russian troops. An un-winnable war that it's high time we pulled out of. And I'm not a pacifist by nature, but I am a realist.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
Well Done Barry..... That was a very interesting page to read..... Wonder if they will ever build a (some) full size vessels.
I notice the Army is doing a moan about the money put by for the two new aircraft carriers, but they would be screaming their heads off in a few years time, saying "why hasn`t the Navy got any aircraft carriers to get us some air strike capability, or transport them to and from the "active" zones.
Our Navy is seriously depleted because the land army has been gobbling up the defence budget.  No I don`t think the Army is a second class service, but we need all the services to work together, not be  individuals grabbing the largest slice of the cake.

I fort that all the arm services were combined, there is a combined recruiting centre in Middlesbrough.
Community Veteran

Gary?
Why are you replying to threads that at 3 months old?Huh
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

rogerloxton, I am still catching up with the forum.
Community Veteran

Still.. I don't need to go over netiquette.. Wink