cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's happened to DOI 2011?

N/A

What's happened to DOI 2011?

It's a long shot but is there anyone here that watched Dancing on Ice last night?  If not, ask your OH for their opinion.
I have always been a huge fan of the programme but I actually switched it off in less than an hour from the start. 
First of all it was far too loud, particularly the opening piece which I absolutely hated anyway.  Then they have got rid of Nicky Slater who was one of the knowledgeable judges who had actually been a skater.  They have left the blonde woman who has nothing at all useful to say because she actually doesn't know anything.  The repulsive little man (or pantomime 'baddie') has been left in just for effect and to generate a few hisses and boos.  My mum used to say that it was rude for a man to keep his hat on indoors so not sure why he was sitting there with a flat cap on all night.  Maybe he was waiting for someone to bring him a Whippet!
Quite a few of the contestants are  'getting on' in years so their grace, fluidity and nerve are probably not going to be that of someone half their age, therefore they are less entertaining IMO.  I quite like Angela Rippon but why does she need to go on about flying the flag for older people and proving that we're not over the hill?  I don't buy that at all - I don't care what folk think TBH.
And then there was the fantastic chap who has the VC - I would not want to be the judge of him - he is better than the lot of them put together!
Oh dear, what a mess is all is - I am going to save myself a headache (from the hype and noise) and switch off on Sunday nights.  Thankfully I have my 'Larkrise to Candleford' to watch - a much gentler proposition.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: What's happened to DOI 2011?

Yup! saw it as it has always been one the better half's favourites, in her younger days evidently was quite a passable skater (bit before my time with her though) Have to agree with poppy though. I always did think the audience participation was far too oppressive and over loud and frankly downright rude to the contestants (do they really make all that noise or is it recorded play-back?)
Angela Rippon, who forms one of the BBC's "old boiler" trio with Gloria Hunniford and Jennie Bond. Is in my humble opinion by far the worst presenter of the three. Have you ever seen her manic approach to Cash in the Attic? Did they have to remind us yet again that she danced on the Morecombe and Wise show and been making a good living out of it ever since. Personally I'm delighted she's gone.
And as for the presenters; Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby. I always rather liked Schofield's easy going style but he seems to be on something with DOI, But Holly Willoughby! isn't she dreadful, almost unable to move poured into a dress three sizes too small, hair starched and looking like an obscene up-stage of Barbie.
Nicky Slater and Karen Barber were ice dance partners at around the time Torvill and Dean were in their prime, and could have been great had they not always been in their shadow. The rumour is that they had a huge bust-up and have never really been comfortable being on the show with each other.
Hasn't Jane Torvill lost some weight?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

Nice to know that I am not alone in my assessment of the programme. I too have always thought that the audience noise was OTT.
Yes, I thought that Jayne had lost weight too.  For the first few series she wore a lot of longish skirts to skate in but last night she completely reversed that with a tiny pair of shorts that were not at all 'her'.
With regards to HW I thought that the men would be rather pleased to 'see' her but my view is that she has little talent and has only got on in show business by being willing to display her body.  I believe that in the past ITV has received more than a few complaints about her attire.  This serves no purpose IMO - if she were truly a good presenter she would not need to draw attention to herself in such a manner.
I reckon you might be right about the tensions in the judging panel but would have thought that they could try to get on for the duration of the show.  They ought to have ousted (or washed the mouth out) of that horrible choreographer man.  He really is dreadful with his foul comments about the skaters.  I doubt that I will be tuning in again, which is a shame because I used to enjoy the programme.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: poppy
With regards to HW I thought that the men would be rather pleased to 'see' her but my view is that she has little talent and has only got on in show business by being willing to display her body. 

I'm as red-bloodied as the next guy but, maybe I'm in a minority? but I prefer "my" TV women to be less "obvious" and more sophisticated thanks, Step forward Susanna Reid. Sophisticated is not a description that could ever be used in the same breath as Holly Willoughby.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.