cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What price computer progress?

N/A

What price computer progress?

I have been using Vista virtually since it was released in the UK. I didn't like the aero and flip thingy and read that they were resource-hungry so switched them off.
Recently I have found the whole Vista theme tiring on my eyes so I changed to Classic and it is absolutely fantastic - much clearer and easier to use. Of course it is more or less the same as Windows '98 which was my first computer so this has left me wondering about the price of progress. If '98 was still patched and secure it would continue to meet my current needs.
Can't begin to guess how much was spent on the Vista theme but wonder if there are many people who agree?
Can't say that I blame folk who want to stick with older technology - new is not always best IMO.
7 REPLIES
StickyMick
Grafter

Re: What price computer progress?

I can relate to some of what you're saying.
I'm not generally an early adopter in all things computing. I didn't get XP until 2005, I still use 98 on my lap-top and my second PC . I never even considered Vista.
Surprisingly enough though, there's still a vast number of corporate users out there who are still predominantly Windows 98 users.
N/A

Hadn't considered the corporate situation by now I come to think of it my niece works in an office where they still use Windows 98 so it is obviously still serviceable. I think that you have a point about not adopting things too early. Computer-wise I have been the opposite but am now thinking it is best to carry on with what you know for as long as possible, although I haven't had too many problems with XP or Vista.  I am going to try to resist temptation when Windows 7 appears!
Not sure why, but since I have switched to Classic the computer seems to be quicker.
Community Veteran

Apart from a few areas we have not made any real progress. In the good old DOS days we had wordstar, lotus, dbase all ran from a floppy and unless you are an advanced user 99% of what you do today can be done on these programs 50 times faster. Sure office is all singing and all dancing and takes up gigabytes but for most task its total overkill.
Photo and video editing you couldnt do a lot of in the old days and this does stretch computers even now but its one of the few areas that have improved.
Its time someone went back to basics and made a pc with an O/S thats mean and lean that does what 99% of users want. XP and vista have millions of lines of code but its said if they wrote it all in  assembler it would fit onto a floppy disk. There is a O/S reactos which has done just that it has a windows GUI and runs from a floppy disk.
Its fun to watch the old O/S on new pc's running as virtual pc's or terminal server they go like a bullet the only problem is old software Amipro doesn't understand memory over 640k and is totally confused by gigabytes but blink and you miss it loading
Community Veteran

lfs (linux from scratch) can be as lean and fast as anything in the past, if the user is willing to attempt it.  beyond that there are several minimal distributions, puppy, arch and others that are easier to use.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I still use 98SE on a couple of my machines. The simplicity is wonderful most of the time. The only "issue" I've really discoverd for just basic browsing and e-mailing on the odd machine is Flash problems because of the procesor used (I believe), but even people with XP have had that, so it all seems to be a problem since Adobe to over!
Got a couple of other machines I'm going to put on *nix as soon as I have time.
N/A

Just goes to show that you can still browse the Internet and send/receive e-mails with reasonable security despite it being unpatched by the mighty MS, as long as there is compatible software out there.
According to Kaspersky, Flash is a problem anyway - as soon as one version goes out of date up comes the detection threat thingy and you have to head off to get rid of the old one and install the fresh version.
Makes one wonder about all the scare stories.
Community Veteran

who do you think benefits most from all this malware?