Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What planet do MPs live on?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What planet do MPs live on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20978487
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: What planet do MPs live on?

Dunno, who do you want as MP's and what do you want to pay them to ensure you get the right people without "interference"?
I'd suggest that they are actually entirely the wrong people to ask though..............
Personally I've regularly, throughout my career, compared my job responsibilities qualifications etc. and pay (private sector) to doctors and MP's as rough equivalents.
On that basis (I'm now mostly retired BTW so out of this game) MP's are most definitely underpaid.
Awaits flaming and descent to Godwin's law.......  Crazy
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
MP's are most definitely underpaid.

Not when you consider all the expenses and perks they get they're not. Look at the rail minister, he's using an £80k per year diplomatic car instead of using the trains himself.
If you think they're underpaid, you should try doing some real hard graft for the NMW. The last job I had was paying LESS than that. I earned less than a tenner one day for an 8 hour shift.
I feel sick when people who are paid mega money then say they're underpaid and need more. When us minions don't have enough money, we're criticised for not managing our money properly, get told to setup debt repayment plans etc. When the rich run into trouble they expect it all sorted and paid off ASAP by someone else so they can get on living their merry lives with bundles of cash.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

MPs are already well paid. The job is about public service for the public they are supposed to represent and not making a fortune, particularly when cuts to other government spending are taking place. Comparing themselves with other company executives implies that company executives are not overpaid.
This all goes to show that our MPs have not been cured of greed despite the expenses scandal.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Years ago many MPs had been successful elsewhere and entered parliament to give something back to the community.  Now they are mainly career politicians and expect to be paid for their responsibilities. 
I do not think £65k is a high salary and if we paid a reasonable salary maybe we would get a better quality of MP. There should be a complete review of the package, salary, expenses etc and a new deal put in place.
Community Veteran

I see nothing wrong with paying a decent salary, probably around £120k +, but I'd abolish all expenses, pension rights and give them access to a state apartment in or near Westminster and a second class ‘open’ rail pass.
If they want to upgrade to first class, or buy a bigger apartment, it is down to their expense.
I think I'd also like to limit MP's to two terms in parliament.
Community Veteran

I'd pay them around £85k with limited, clearly defined expenses.  They should get a pension as well.  I've often wondered why Parliament doesn't have a block of apartments which can be used by MPs whilst away from their constituencies.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
There should be a complete review of the package, salary, expenses etc and a new deal put in place.

Definitely.
The systems of pay, allowances etc. are based on those to support largely part-time MP's who had other jobs in the day (hence late-night sessions, now largely gone).
The allowances were allowed to grow during the Thatcher era as there was control over pay while the job was evolving towards the current full-time expectation.
As to whether we WANT full-time MP's that is another issue. Exposure to and experience in the wider world outside of the "Westminster bubble" might be a good thing....  Lips are sealed
kdoug007
Grafter

oh  great..  the  benefits  guys  get  1%  rise....
  so  WE  ARE    all in it  together,,,
except  mps  and  there  £20.000  a  year  proposed  rise,
Community Veteran

In case you've failed to understand, it is not a proposed rise. Read the info in the first post.
Community Veteran

In case you've failed to understand, it is not a proposed rise. Read the info in the first post.

Indeed. Luckily this is just an annonymous survey of MPs that was carried out - they won't actually get it.
Community Veteran

If a decent salary was paid it could in the long term lead to a better quality of candidate.  Many suitable individuals possibly don't apply at present because of the low salary.
Community Veteran

It is a fallacy that paying high wages would produce better MPs. Is there any actual evidence to support this?  Would bad MPs who do not perform be penalised by pay cuts?
If MPs are genuinely unhappy with their pay they should resign and prove their worth in business. There are plenty of people who'd do the job for less and make a better job of it.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

MP's are just a bunch of (overpaid) plebs.  Grin
I would only except Dennis Skinner (AKA Beast of Bolsover) from that category.
Born in Clay Cross, Derbyshire, Skinner is the third of nine children of coal miner Edward Skinner, who was sacked after the 1926 general strike. Skinner himself worked as a miner for over 20 years, during which he became an NUM leader and Clay Cross Labour Party councillor. He is known for his left-wing views, acid tongue and for never missing a Commons session.

Community Veteran

If a decent salary was paid it could in the long term lead to a better quality of candidate.  Many suitable individuals possibly don't apply at present because of the low salary.

You have to be kidding? Either that or you're simply from a well off background / area and don't see things in the same light as many of us.
Let me ask you something artmo, how do you determine a better candidate? How do you rate who is doing a good job and who isn't? MPs decide this themselves. They are not responsible to anyone but themselves and as long as they tell their fellow MPs they're doing a good job, their fellow MPs say the same about them.
£60k is a LOT of money artmo. Then they get expenses etc on top too. Sure, if they're coming down from Yorkshire every day I could understand the expenses but you have some from just outside of London who claim every expense they can when you have other people (eg working in IT) travelling from further afield, for £40k who may be managing mission critical systems for the NHS who have peoples lives depending on them. I honestly don't see how you can justify MPs having even higher wages. All they've done is run this country into the ground and you're suggesting they be rewarded with even more money?
Quote from: AlaricAdair
It is a fallacy that paying high wages would produce better MPs. Is there any actual evidence to support this?

None in the slightest. Remember privatisation was supposed to solve all of our problems too. All its done is support capitalism and the growth between the rich and the poor. It hasn't actually solved anything but just made things worse.
Would bad MPs who do not perform be penalised by pay cuts?

No and thats the problem. There is no criteria for recognising under performing MPs. It's weird isn't it, when you're in a low paid job you're given targets to meet and criteria to satisfy to be deemed worthy of your pay etc yet the higher up you go, the less things you have to satisfy.
If MPs are genuinely unhappy with their pay they should resign and prove their worth in business.

Exactly! If they're so good at sorting things out and understanding the real world, they certainly won't have a problem proving it will they.