cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What next will they object to:so so ridiculous.

thisoldman
Grafter

What next will they object to:so so ridiculous.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/206822.

what next will they object to?  answers on a postcard please to david cameron. Huh
14 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: What next will they object to:so so ridiculous.

It's obviously being spun for the "bacon" factor though Wink
Having a extractor fan from a cooker/grill emptying "12 inches" from someones front door does seem like a good reason for planning permission rejection though! 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I wonder where the faulty replaced fan was
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

One assumes that when Mr Lee moved into the property......... he realised there was a cafe next door ? 
a bit like people who live near schools or airports complaining about the noise.....
if you don`t want the noise/inconvenience of your "neighbours", then you should have found another place to live..... a bit much to complain about it..AFTER you move in, and expect every one to feel sorry for you....
randpwar
Grafter

The one that gets me is when people move in close to a church that has been there for centuries and then complain about the ‘noise’ from the bell ringers  Angry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

get a lot of that around here
The lunners move out  to the countryside,  The church bells make a noise when rung, The hens make a noise, the pigs smell. the children fall off the climbing frames when I am not looking
Rand beat me to the bells
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: randpwar
The one that gets me is when people move in close to a church that has been there for centuries and then complain about the ‘noise’ from the bell ringers  Angry

Like the recent case of the people objecting to the noise the kids made in the school playground!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lurker
Grafter

In other news:
A friend of mine had long campaigned for new bells in their local church (which happened to be in the next village). - A great community project.
This summer the fund had finally grown sufficiently to enable the church bells to be purchased. - Everybody is delighted.
They moved house in the summer, and now live in the next village, next door to the church. - They are less enthusiastic about the bells Smiley (Although I suspect they are only unhappy for the purpose of the anecdote.)
thisoldman
Grafter

it was the constant pandering to muslims that incensed me. If muslim people dont like OUR  ways of life, then they should, as we glaswegians like to say, beggar off.  soz for typo Smiley
itsme
Grafter

I don't think that the planning application was turned down because of Muslims. It's a shame that the Express have not used photos so we can see the position of the flue. I now that were I live there were objections to planning applications for food establishments on smell issues from extractors. The outcome was that a flue stack had to be used so the outlet was at roof hight, i.e. the same hight as the soil stack.
thisoldman
Grafter

itsme:  you may well be correct, but in my view ,muslims in this country, do not seem to wish to abide by our standards or even give any thought
to the "British way of life"
They stick their mosques wherever they like    (remember the  suggestion of ground zero in usa), and they use the Equality Act to its full extent.
When i holiday in say Spain, i would never ever dream of complaining about some  native nuisance.
Muslims seem to forget the old adage    when in rome..............
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Absolutely right. I'm 100% white English and I wouldn't accept having an extractor fan from a cafe 12 inches from my front door, so there's no way they should have to accept it just because they are Muslim!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lurker
Grafter

Bacon and Religion only come into the story because they make it seem a little more sensational; it has nothing to do with either when you get to a causal level.
Its also worth remembering that one doesn't have to be forrin to be muslim, (just like you don't have to be English to be Anglican).
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: itsme
It's a shame that the Express have not used photos so we can see the position of the flue.

It's not difficult to see an image by looking at Stockport Planning applications and using Google Street View.
The extractor is of a tiny domestic size set  flat into a wall about 1ft above and 1ft to the side of the top of the neighbour's door. I am surprised that it required planning permission if was a simple replacement for an existing fan. Maybe the original fan had been installed without planning permission. I certainly wouldn't want to live next to a cafe  discharging cooking smells at street level be they bacon, curry or whatever.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Quote from: thisoldman
They stick their mosques wherever they like    (remember the  suggestion of ground zero in usa), and they use the Equality Act to its full extent.

That was massively overblown rubbish.  It wasn't a strictly a mosque (a community centre thing!) and it was 2 blocks from ground zero.   
Anyway, I see no problem with building a mosque on ground zero.