Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What next!! Pensioners to work?

jmd
Grafter

What next!! Pensioners to work?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20044862
Do read the comments that follow the article.
Obviously has no idea of real world whilst he gets all his money. Angry
45 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: What next!! Pensioners to work?

Do you honestly believe that pensioners paid into the system and are entitled to their pensions? Think you need to get a calculator out to work out the cost of a pensioner for 15 years and how much that  pensioner would have paid into the system.
The original pension system was based on a pensioner living 3 years pass the pension age not decades. Hence the reason that the pension age is raising and the younger generation will be working longer than their grandparents.
Community Veteran

It's always an easy target to pick on the elderly. Lets just ignore the vast problem of civil servants retiring in their mid fifties drawing a pension that's mainly paid and been contributed to by the tax payer.
Same with the NHS. Services should be severely rationed to the elderly to save on costs. Lets just ignore the enormous costs of "health tourists". The complete failure to stop this abuse of the system.
Always easy targets but never the right ones.
Fixes: 47

As a newly retired person I don't feel qualified to comment on this.
It's a proposal for those well under retirement age to cheer about......until such time as they themselves retire Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I can see some merit in the suggestion if it were to include any voluntary work. You only have to look at the numbers of people who are obviously retired who work in charity shops to see that that is an option many take anyway. If the expectation was to say do 1/2 day voluntary work per week it would actually have a benefit for the retired themselves by keeping them more active and as he said more involved.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I find that most "retired" people actually inevitably do something constructive while they're still capable of it, indeed they want to.
Most of what supports my local community (that the younger generations just "assume" is there for their benefit) is often largely contributed by the efforts of the retired or semi-retired residents.
Community Veteran

Wasn't there a recent bit on the news about cutbacks in certain services? I think this involved various meeting places and bus services.
I remember some saying due to this they could no longer get out of the house and meet their old friends for a chat and a cup of tea.
All of which begs the question will free taxis be sent to pick up these prospective future "volunteers" for their community service or will they just have to go without their food as well as turn off their heating?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
It's always an easy target to pick on the elderly.

Bit rich considering its us younger folks that are paying for the elderly continually.
We're continually being mugged for every penny we have. Very few of us can get on the property ladder (yet the elderly moan about selling their property to pay for their keep) and not many can afford to save (while the pensioners moan about using their savings to survive). Oh then we have that little issue that most young people have family to turn to for money.. not all of us. I have none left at all and my parents were always pathetic with money, preferring to take it from me instead of helping me.
Seriously, it's been a bloomin hard life for me, I dread to think what those younger than me are going through. Make the elderly work a bit more? Why not?! When I reach retirement age I won't be able to retire so why should the rest of them get away with it when people like me have been subsidising them at a cost to our own lives?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There was this clever concept called National Insurance whereby working people paid a regular contribution to fund the National Health and also to fund their state pension. Unfortunately successive governments took the decision to treat this money as operational cash rather than an investment. They also turned the "contribution" into a social tax where people who earned more had to pay more tax into the National Insurance fund with no increase in benefits. As a consequence National Insurance is no longer an insurance merely a current account tax. This is not the fault of the people contributing to NI on the basis of a social contract that a pension would be provided. We were in fact funding the pensions of the people who retired before us.
I was pushed out of permanent employment because I had grey hair, to be replaced by "younger" people, I don't mind working but I object to younger people saying I'm a burden just because they don't want to keep their part of the social contract.  Meanwhile my private pensions are being devalued by the government printing money (Quantitative Easement) and an abnormally low interest rate which benefits those on mortgages yet wipes out the pensioners' investments.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Anyone else think the current NEST scheme (1% of income launched in Oct 2012) is another form of TAX and the setting up of a pension raid in the future.
(National Employment Savings Trust)
Community Veteran

Yes and we've had this discussion in previous topics.
It's a pension fund waiting to be raided by any government that so wishes to change the rules again. They take your money, they look after it and finally they spend it.
nadger
Rising Star

As has been pointed out we funded retired people whilst we were working and now we are being funded by those people fortunate enough to have jobs.
Not an ideal system but not one that we created.
When we are seen to complain about interest rates on our savings it has to be remember that some of us paid over 15% interest on our mortgages for a period of time - some may recall how painful that was.
I did work past my 70th birthday as the work was here - finally packed it in just before my 71st.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
When we are seen to complain about interest rates on our savings it has to be remember that some of us paid over 15% interest on our mortgages for a period of time - some may recall how painful that was.

But see it from our (the current young generations) POV:
You moan that savings rates are low - You can afford to save / have savings. Most of us don't and can't.
You had to pay 15% on your mortgage.. Yeah admittedly thats gotta hurt but most of us can't even afford a mortgage these days yet alone the right to moan about it.
Why is it so bad? Because the elderly are costing us an arm and a leg. They had the money, they spent the money, they had the good times and are now quite happy for us to pay for it. I have a friend who's 70, lived a hell of a life had tons of money, has multiple properties yet moans about the state of his pension while my generation are the ones who are really suffering. He has money, just sold his second home (making ££££ in the process) and yet moans about his financial affairs?
Does that really seem right when todays young generation are sacrificing so much and can barely afford to survive?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That's a very good argument for a wealth tax!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I truly believe there should be a wealth tax.
It isn't fair to keep demanding that those with little or nothing continue to subsidise those with money who are too scared of loosing it. If they're so damn good at accumuiating the stuff then it won't be a problem for them to earn more of it will it.
Why should the poor keep paying for the rich?
By rich I don't mean people who have a mortgage and / or own a home, I mean the super rich with £millions / £billions in the bank. I do also however believe that those who are lucky enough to have a comfortable income and can afford their own property should be contributing more too. It isn't fair to keep expecting those living in a single room of a shared house to keep subsidising home owners free solar panels and things. It's WRONG.
You can't force poor people to endure such harshness and then be all moral about your mortgage and savings.