cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes a good website?

N/A

What makes a good website?

Sean's request for us to take a look at his website got me wondering about design and functionality of websites.
Not thought about it much before as I haven't done a course at college or had the need to construct one.
Some of the things that I prefer are:
A clean and simple look - no more than 2 or 3 colours and font styles. Don't like to see loads of information all crammed onto one page.
Not too much flash - not keen on those things that fade in and fade out so that you are just reading something and you have to wait for it to come round again before you can make sense of it
Links/sections all in one place i.e. left side and I like the navigation to be clear and easy.
Text not too small and in clear colours - not keen when they use pale grey and you have to strain your eyes to see it.
Needs to be updated regularly - one useful thing is an insert stating when it was last updated.
In common with the motor industry, computer land is dominated by men so I would like to see websites built with a bit more thought to ladies. The motor manufacturers have realised that a large percentage of buyers are women and are now catering more for this in their production and marketing.
One site that I frequent regularly is a Cairn Terrier one and it is built by a woman - it is excellent and very very simple to get around and find all that you are looking for - everything is in a table format.
Any other opinions?
22 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: What makes a good website?

There are so many flash sites around these days.
I find it annoying when the intro flash page has no bypass button and you have to sit through it all to get the information you went there for or back out and look elsewhere.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It all depends on the site and what its there for if you are selling graphic design you may well put flash and other stuff on to show your skills another may be to promote a brand name. If its to give information then it needs to clean and to the point. A lot add extra info and cram the page in an effort to get higher rankings in google
Community Veteran

I think was certainly overdone a year or so back, but thank goodness people many people have realised that too much flash is not a good idea, and it seems to be more selectively used these days.
Community Veteran

You have to remember the website is your shop window.  It needs to be clean, tidy, informative and not cluttered and it must sell your product or service to the viewer.  DSome websites I've visited are so coplicated to navigate I just give in and move on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

As a horrible example Gigabyte UK has continuous running flash and Firefox often asks if I want to terminate it because it is making the browser run slow at peak periods
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Products/Motherboard/Default.aspx
Denzil
Grafter

The ones that seem particularly pointless are where the first page says "Click to Enter". I thought I had already decided to enter by typing the address.
Community Veteran

Chinese websites are terrible to work with example 1 example 2
Community Veteran

They make my eyes go all funny (slanted)  Wink Wink
N/A

The Chinese links reminded me of another dislike - instant musak - no need for it IMO.
BTW that gigabyte thingy - caused same problems with my computer (using Firefox)  so they definitely want to sort it out or they will be losing business.
There seems to be a bit of a consensus going on - simplicity, less Flash, greater clarity and less clutter.
Dare I say it - an example of a website that is too mixed up and complicated is our own Plusnet?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I like this one - take a look at the Video  http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html
it uses good hover overs  and links to other pages, simple but gives the info
Fixes: 125

The first few times I looked at PN's home page, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw some insect run across my screen Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I like this one - take a look at the Video  http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html
it uses good hover overs  and links to other pages, simple but gives the info

I'm not seeing any hover overs  Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try the other races at top left
Community Veteran

Still not hovering.