cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong with dotting the I's + crossing the T's, in any situation ??

TORPC
Grafter

What is wrong with dotting the I's + crossing the T's, in any situation ??

As per the title
to make sure all information is of 100% clarity, before any decisions / amendments are made ?Huh
6 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: What is wrong with dotting the I's + crossing the T's, in any situation ??

practicality and timing
half the time its not possible to wait for confirmation(s) on everything due to deadlines (although your supposed to have caveated the unconfirmed stuff as awaiting confirmation) the other half of the time its not important to be accurate (like press headlines or advertising for headliners at gigs) where inaccuracies can increase your revenue stream rather than decrease it......
other times its more important to be totally accurate and wait for any confirmation(s) (like buying a house and getting all the reports or making payment for a contract/service/supply of goods) in order to protect yourself from undisclosed problems, but it would take a strong person to stand there ground when there is the weight of the world bearing down upon them (like when Lloyds bought TSB and inherited the huge black hole in there finances)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

You have summed it up when you said
Quote from: nanotm
<snip>
in order to protect yourself from undisclosed problems, but it would take a strong person to stand there ground when there is the weight of the world bearing down upon them (like when Lloyds bought TSB and inherited the huge black hole in there finances)

Exactly
That said in some cases
It could be the trolls / (anyone that fails to see the reasoning to dot the I's & cross the T's, that gang up on a person or persons, which creates a different set of problems (could it not) ?Huh
itsme
Grafter

Lloyds example is not to do with crossing the i or t but the lack of Due Diligence.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

which is exactly what dotting every I and crossing every t is all about......
edit
another way to put it perhaps more plainly is that one is street speak for it (which means understood in all walks of life) and the other is business speak although it often also encompasses regulatory requirements,
they are essentially the same thing although corporate types mean different things when they use each of the phrases as they have a specific business lexicon reference which applies to them because this makes them feel more important.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

Apologies that one has to put one teachers cap on again (due to a lack of googling) other search engines should suffice
In the 1st result = a reference to Wikitionary.org (where it clearly states)
[quote= http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dot_the_i's_and_cross_the_t's](idiomatic) To take care of every detail, even minor ones; To be meticulous or thorough.  [quotations ▼]
Before taking the project to the CEO, let's make sure we dot the i's and cross the t's.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: itsme
Due Diligence.

Oh dear, don't get me started on that, and the good old 'compliance' red tape. Roll eyes