Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Community?

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: What is the Community?

Bob
I assume you are aware of the official Plusnet Support pages here?
The official support channel is via the Help & Support pages linked above, the 'My Questions' facility that leads from there (aka the 'ticket' system) & the Support phone system.
I've always viewed the Community site as something of an optional extra. Certainly the forums are run by the customers for the customers, using facilities provided by Plusnet. They are for customers to help each other, often with problems not directly related to the Plusnet service. There is a considerable body of knowledge to tap into. But I quite agree they are not for everybody.
On any busy forum that's moderated with a lightish touch (& thereby hangs a whole other debate  Smiley ) you are bound to get a wide range of topics, only a minority of which are of interest to any individual. My broadband is running reasonably well at the moment with a few problems I can live with, so right now a Plusnet pint glass is pretty high on my agenda. My only worry is that the standard Plusnet logo looks a bit insipid when backed by a decent pint.
There are a number of Plusnet staff who are connoisseurs of fine ales. This may or may not be considered a good thing, depending on your point of view. I happen to think it's a plus point. Either way, it helps to explain their current enthusiasm for what is clearly evolving as a popular marketing gimmick tool.

Highlighted
Grafter

Simon,
Please believe me, there are an awful lot of folk who find it very difficult to initiate a question. This is talked about a great deal in other places. It is indeed a common problem.
If you have never come across folk saying that they get lost when trying to ask a question then you are only supporting the view that a lot of comments are not found or seen by many. Perhaps you have not seen Neil Armstrong's remarks that he is thinking that the Help Assistant should disappear.
On the subject of beer: perhaps you have come across Harvey's Best Bitter brewed in Lewes in Sussex, which has been plauded by CAMRA. If you have never tried it, then I am sorry for you. I believe that Ian Wild thinks it's not bad either.
I am off to Eire tomorrow and will sample the Guinness.
May you never suffer from dehydration!  --- Cheers!
Bob Milton
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Simon,
Please believe me, there are an awful lot of folk who find it very difficult to initiate a question. This is talked about a great deal in other places. It is indeed a common problem.

I know it isn't easy until you get the system sused. I also know that to keep costs down (that's our costs) Plusnet want people to have read the information they provide before they ask a question. It's a difficult tightrope to walk & I'm sure there is room for improvement.
Perhaps you have not seen Neil Armstrong's remarks that he is thinking that the Help Assistant should disappear.

No, I haven't. Can you provide a link?
On the subject of beer: perhaps you have come across Harvey's Best Bitter

Not for a while. I don't get south of the Thames very often these days. I'm rather partial to a drop of Ballards on my occasional trips to the Hampshire/West Sussex borders.
I am off to Eire tomorrow and will sample the Guinness.

Somehow it always does seem to be that little bit smoother over there. Must be the music & the pace of life that does it.  Undecided  Although we play the same music in the pub down the road every week but it dosen't make the Guinness taste any different!
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Simon
No, I haven't. Can you provide a link?

Hi Simon M
The Quote and link to:
Topic: Suggestions for additional Policy and Procedure Documents
Quote from: Neil Armstrong
Hi Bob,
I couldn't agree more. Last year we ran a project called 'Don't make me think' (named after the book of the same name) which was specifically about making things simpler. Our website (and company) has grown up organically and rather like an old cahedral with different styles of architecture from different times. Well that's one way of looking at it anyway!
So yes - absolutely, simplifying things is really important for customers as it improves the customer experience, reduces support calls and increases recommendation rates. We recently hired a usabilty expert who is methodically going through our systems to strip bits out and simplify things. We're also very seriously considering scrapping our 'Help Assistant' as I think it's doing more harm than good.
It's a truism - KISS, keep it simple stupid, that we try to follow. But the hardest thing in the world is making complex technology simple to use. But that's our aim  Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

Hi Bob,
I'm not sure whether you were joking or not with regards to your comment about pint glasses.  I'm sure the community would agree that we have better things to be sorting out rather than spending our designers time on pint glasses.  Surely the member centre and the help assistant are two areas with higher priorities than aforementioned glasses.  Both of these are currently being worked on.
What do you want from the Community site?  You've been quick to say of what you do not like, but what do you actually want from it?  I seem to recall (and please correct me if I am wrong) that you are against the use of forums as a means of community support and/or discussion.  Is this still the case?
Highlighted
Grafter

We're also very seriously considering scrapping our 'Help Assistant' as I think it's doing more harm than good.

I assume that what Neil Armstrong meant by that was to scrap the Help Assistant as a front end to the ticketing system & let people raise tickets directly. I hope he wasn't including the whole ticket system in his plans!
That's how it used to be - you could ask a question of the Support team directly from the Help & Support page without having to go through all the preliminary pages designed to answer your question & thus avoid the need to raise a ticket.
It's relatively cheap to answer a question once & publish it for many people to read. It's very expensive to answer that same question individually to thousands of people. Plusnet set out to be a good value for money but low cost provider. For that to be sustainable, users must be prepared to make some effort to help themselves. The Help Assistant was an attempt to oblige users to see if their question had a ready answer. Maybe it has taken it a step too far, but if Plusnet revert to the earlier system & users abuse it, the additional costs will be paid by you & me through our subscriptions.
I will be very interested to read the proposals for changes to the Help Assistant.
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 9

The Help Assistant was an attempt to oblige users to see if their question had a ready answer. Maybe it has taken it a step too far, but if Plusnet revert to the earlier system & users abuse it, the additional costs will be paid by you & me through our subscriptions.

The issue is that user can easily just click through the wizard once they are savvy with it and raise the ticket.  This means that not only have they subverted the system, they are annoyed at having to subvert it.  Hence why we are considering alternatives.
Kelly Dorset
Broadband Service Manager
Highlighted
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

We're also very seriously considering scrapping our 'Help Assistant' as I think it's doing more harm than good.

I assume that what Neil Armstrong meant by that was to scrap the Help Assistant as a front end to the ticketing system & let people raise tickets directly. I hope he wasn't including the whole ticket system in his plans!

Ah. that'll be my doing.. I'll explain in depth when I have more time but in a nutshell we would be looking to make the Support Pages do the 'wizard' work and let what we refer to as the Help Assistant become more like the contact manager it should be.  Tickets will remain as our online contact mechanism.